Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: What Guitar?  (Read 4537 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What Guitar?
« on: 19 February 2015, 08:34:54 pm »
Looking for a new electric; is there anything out there that'll give as much versatility and decent tone as a USA Strat? I love Strats and wouldn't go for anything else except that I don't want to spend mega bucks, maybe a max of £500. I think I could get a decent 2nd hand USA Strat for that, but maybe, as I'm really out of touch with what's available these days, I'm missing something? What are Mexican Strats like now, for instance? Maybe there's another brand copy that's good, cheaper than a genuine Fender, worth looking at? Or something entirely different? I'm looking for a good, distinctive tone. I'm definitely not a Gibson man, so Les Pauls and SGs won't cut it. Ideas?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What Guitar?
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2015, 08:37:46 pm »
ibanez? I had an RG for a while and it sounded ace TBH - not quite the same tone as a strat, but definately not a bad sound.

Im not a fan of lugging one of those gibsons about either - heavy bloody things :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2015, 09:09:07 pm »
Stick with what u know and like Nick. Just get it set up sweet and PRACTICE......a shit guitar in a good players hands will sound much better than a good guitar with a shit player....not sayin your shit cos I've  heard u play but just rusty.....just be sure ur gonna use it and GET TO WORK!!!
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2015, 09:23:38 pm »
Stick with what u know and like Nick. Just get it set up sweet and PRACTICE......a shit guitar in a good players hands will sound much better than a good guitar with a shit player....not sayin your shit cos I've  heard u play but just rusty.....just be sure ur gonna use it and GET TO WORK!!!

I've just quit my job today so I've now got loads of time on my hands, and had already started picking up the acoustic again - even put a new set of strings on it  :eek  :lol
I don't feel the need to be a great guitarist - I couldn't get past the last plateau I reached, but it's just for home playing so not too bothered. Unless I can find some stimulation to take me beyond what I've been doing before now, I doubt there'll be much improvement on the best I reached before I gave up, but that's ok. Mind you, I hadn't heard any Joe Bonamassa back then, and that man has loads of ideas I like  ;)

I once tried a Washburn Mick; a G2V I think it was. Bought it as a kind of beginner thing way back, but got to hate the Floyd Rose on it - I don't really like trems, being a bit of a blues nut and a firm believer in learning proper finger vibrato etc - aren't Ibanez kinda in that same bracket? Another idea I've had suggested is to get a cheap Strat copy, and use one of these Line 6 amps to sample sounds that I like - bruv uses one to gig with and swears by it. So all I'd need then is any comfortable guitar with half decent hardware and a good finish?

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2015, 09:26:46 pm »
Gordan Smith would be nice and good to support a British maker, but probably too pricey for that budget.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2015, 09:29:18 pm »
Gordan Smith would be nice and good to support a British maker, but probably too pricey for that budget.

Yeah, bruv's got two of those; an LP Junior and an LP copy. Quite good if you like those styles.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2015, 09:36:24 pm »
Speak to my very good friend Lucy about getting your pickups reworked -
http://www.juicypickups.com
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 09:38:51 pm »

Nice tip, but I need a guitar first!  :lol

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2015, 06:30:54 am »
ive got a mexican roadhouse strat nick. it has texas special pickups as standard and plays as well as my brothers usa deluxe strat. the body is alder (like the seventies) so a bit heavier than an ash one. they are about 650 new so a second hand one shoiuld be affordable if you can find one. it came with a slightly dodgy looking tortoiseshell pickguard so i splashed out 15 quid on a white one. your welcome to have ago on it and see if you like it mate.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

greg1953

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia RSVR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2015, 08:07:51 am »
I've got a Jap '57 Strat, had it for nearly 20yrs and love it. Got "Texas Special " pickups and it's the best Strat I've ever played, these Jap made models are of superb quality, if you get one of these you won't be disappointed and they're like bikes, you can endlessly modify them.
P.S. someone mentioned Line 6 amps, I have one for sale on eBay, it sounds great on the overdrive settings with my Strat but the clean sounds are not to my liking, I also have an Epi. 335 and can't get a good sound at all with this guitar from the Line 6...hence it's for sale.
Greg

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2015, 08:23:36 am »

Nice tip, but I need a guitar first!  :lol

True
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2015, 08:38:01 pm »
I, er, well I....

Oops!  :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2015, 11:08:17 pm »
NICE......now PLAY IT
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2015, 11:37:48 am »
Very nice nick
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

greg1953

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia RSVR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2015, 11:59:51 am »
That'll do the job
Greg

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2015, 08:25:56 pm »
That'll do the job
Greg

It certainly will!  :)

New USA Deluxe, £200 off cos of "customer damage" - got a couple of dinks in the base where a customer dropped it, but plays perfectly; and they threw in a 3 year warranty and 3 free annual set-ups (Professional Music Tech, Oxford).

I didn't mean to be so extravagant, but I tried a USA Standard, this, and a Mexican Strat back to back, and the other two just didn't cut it next to this one (as I kind of suspected would be the case). It feels alive in your hands, and the tone just far and away outstripped the others. Plus, I wanted a rosewood fingerboard, and I've always loved tobacco sunburst; my 3rd.....not to mention there were no decent 2nd hand ones about and I got impatient  :lol

Got a few other bits and bobs on discount, including a Pod v2 effects unit, which I've also had before. Still got my little Marshall amp, so that's me for a bit now. And yes Pete, I plan on playing it some   :D

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
What Guitar?
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2015, 02:58:59 am »
wah wah my good man

« Last Edit: 22 February 2015, 03:00:40 am by Exupnut »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2015, 09:17:55 am »
I used to have a Jim Dunlop wah, might look at getting something sometime.

R1FSR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 February 2015, 01:15:49 pm »
just seen this thread...may have this for sale ...as new inc case 72 jap strat ltd edt 

sorry bout big ass pics

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2015, 11:01:48 am »
My daughter has a few on these so when her friends come over they can all jam together.

http://www.manicmammy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hannah_stage.jpg
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2015, 11:07:51 am »
My daughter has a few on these so when her friends come over they can all jam together.

http://www.manicmammy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hannah_stage.jpg

Dammit, I knew I'd been too hasty!  :(

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2015, 09:35:23 pm »
wah wah my good man

Effects on an acoustic....bloody heathen...........mike the fucker up and learn to play it properly  :lol