Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:32 pm

Author Topic: why isnt this connected?  (Read 4047 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
why isnt this connected?
« on: 29 January 2012, 05:16:58 pm »
Just took the forks out my Gen 1 and was having a look at the frame just above the rad (basically inspecting bits of rust) and then all of a sudden i noticed this connector....just dangling around not connected to anything  :rolleyes

at a guess......should A be connected to B? I'm also guessing its something to do with the thermostat, maybe the overheating light on the clocks??

Where ever it plugs in its going to be an arse to get too! :'(

Just thought while typing this....its not from the AIS i dumped ages ago is it?

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: why isnt this connected?
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2012, 06:50:59 pm »
IIRC the AIS has no electrical conection. As you guess it's probably a thermo connection.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2012, 06:56:19 pm »
Lift the tank up, you will be able to connect it easily.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
yeah i did think that.....bit difficult at the mo with with the top yoke and bars bungeed across the tank due to no forks  :D (i kept knocking them so bungeed them down)

Just wondered how long its been disconnected? not even sure exactly what it does (cant be that important i guess, bikes been running fine)

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2012, 06:26:49 pm »
Its for the temp warning light.
Does your fan run if the bike is started & left running for a couple of minutes whilst out of gear ?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2012, 07:27:20 pm »
Ooo I have noticed that the fan on mine (-04) does this, is it supposed to do it? Also if I put it in gear the fan goes off, found no mention of these in the manual so is it normal Fazer behaviour??
P

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2012, 09:16:03 pm »
Ooo I have noticed that the fan on mine (-04) does this, is it supposed to do it? Also if I put it in gear the fan goes off, found no mention of these in the manual so is it normal Fazer behaviour??
P

Yeah, that's normal. Think its just a fan test.

Think my fan was working (before I took the bike apart). I reckon that connector its to the temp light on the clocks.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2012, 09:27:13 pm »
Cool, cheers for that :)

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2012, 06:30:53 pm »
P

Think my fan was working (before I took the bike apart). I reckon that connector its to the temp light on the clocks.

Im 99% certain that the clocks control the fan via that temp switch which is disconnected on your bike, hence my question about your fan.

It is possible it has been unplugged to carry out some maintenance work i.e balancing the carbs ? or there be another reason ?

Either way it 'SHOULD' be plugged in.

And yes tomlinscote it is normal for the fan to run when the bikes are stationary and out of gear (I assume as there is no temp gauge it is a safety feature?).

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2012, 01:19:37 pm »
P

It is possible it has been unplugged to carry out some maintenance work i.e balancing the carbs ? or there be another reason ?

ahhh....now i think about it....i bet it was unplugged when the valves where checked (about 2000 miles ago). So not only did the monkey scratch the frame by the headstock but he didn't plug this back in. This is why i hate people working on my bike! (especially when your paying them)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2012, 03:05:51 pm »
I was under the impression that the fan cut in after a bit when the bike was in neutral was to protect the fan itself rather than stop the engine overheating.  If it did not cut in, being that close to the rad, could cause the fan and its motor problems.

I doubt* any water is actually moving through the system at tickover to benefit from a cooling fan.

*  Although I actually have no idea what type of water pump is on the Fazer

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2012, 07:24:43 am »
not sure why the fan does come on, but in 10 yrs of fazer ownership...it always has come on about  a minute after leaving bike to warm up in neutral...and it goes off as soon as a gear is selected. It aint a fault.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2012, 09:33:37 pm »
I doubt* any water is actually moving through the system at tickover to benefit from a cooling fan.
Your bike would overheat very quickly if it was left ticking over without a working cooling fan...
The cooling fan is normally used more when the bike is stopped at tickover then any other time  ;)

If the is bike not moving then there going be no air being forced through the rad to cool the water..

« Last Edit: 10 February 2012, 09:37:48 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox