Date: 15-06-24  Time: 14:36 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 Exhaust question  (Read 1441 times)

frostman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Exhaust question
« on: 18 September 2014, 12:14:22 am »
Ok going from biker virgin to wanting to make my ride my own - don't know why as i have never been interested in modding a car in anyway. I feel a bit like the bloke out of close encounters of the 3rd kind-  moulding the mountin out of anything he can get his hands on, but he has no idea why - perhaps i am starting to build a rocket ship.

Anyway like the look of beowulf gear, new stainless steel radiator grill and sides arrived today and their now on and the bikes looking better already. My mate has a gen 1 with a titanium beowulf exhaust and sounds great i am more of a shiny person so i want stainless to match the grill.My question is they do a 450mm silencer and a 380mm silencer they claim either gives more power and they have confirmed i will not need to retune anything on the bike unless i have not got a non standard air filter fitted or have a power commander on. Ok i know what an air filter is but wtf is a power commander i know the bikes not got one as it is standard. Also and be careful ladies why the difference in size is it cosmetic or is there a more scientific reason.

F

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 Exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2014, 02:33:25 am »
Power commander is for bikes with fuel injection e.g. a Fz1, yours is carbs so what you need is ivanising. Search ivanising on this site and you will get plenty of info :) .
As for the exhaust I think the longer 450mm one is a bit quieter than the 380mm one.

frostman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
Thanks slappy

f

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2014, 09:43:44 pm »
As above with regards to power commander (often just typed out as PC and whatever power commander it is i.e. PC2 PC3 etc).

Re: Exhausts - I'm SURE I read on here somewhere that yes the longer ones are a bit quieter, but the longer ones produce slightly more torque, but a bit less outright BHP than shorter ones although there is only a few BHP in it either way.

Dont ask where I read that though, but I definately did :lol

frostman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2014, 01:37:40 am »
Thanks Mikevp
I am on a learning curve with the lingo and really getting to know bikes and the fazer. My instructor told me to by a fazer 1000 i am a big lad bit he said their just simply bang on and run forever ... you know i think he is right. I have ordered the 450mm more torque and less bhp is fine, its louder than the standard and as abrupt as it sounds it gives the knob head blinkered 4+ wheel drivers something to tell them i am here. One thing i have learnt is bikes arn't dangerous its every other fecker on road who is.

of god i cant wait for the sound of the new can, can i ever get fed up with the acceleration well erm no. A mate has a ducati 996 same as me midlife crisis and he sat on my fazer an being 40+ he said you know this feels tonnes better than mine proper seat upright an comfy.

f

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2014, 03:51:22 pm »
The Fazer 1000 is still a difficult bike to beat - even more so now that values are where they are.  I have looked at other bikes but there is nothing out there that tempts me.