Date: 26-06-24  Time: 13:44 pm

Author Topic: what a foccing con  (Read 4421 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
what a foccing con
« on: 01 July 2014, 04:17:53 pm »
Am planning on going to the British Moto GP this year, just the Friday practice because I can't make the saturday and race day is too expensive for us (wife and 2 kids) :-(
Just went to book tickets, £15 each, kids free BARGAIN....and then at checkout... £7 handling charge.... FOC OFF!  :thumbdown
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: what a foccing con
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2014, 04:42:48 pm »
Handling charge! As if anyone actually handles them now, just a con to fleece people for more money.....

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2014, 05:10:40 pm »
and you still get charged that handling charge if you pick the tickets up at the circuit  :\ 
Its just a ride

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2014, 05:11:07 pm »
I thought there had been a bit of a legal battle of handling charges and card fees ?
I might be wrong tho , I normally am

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
It was postage fees IE charging a fiver and sending first class post  :evil ,so now they say its a handling charge to reflect the cost of picking , packing etc ......................complete baws of course   
Its just a ride

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2014, 05:26:42 pm »
The person doing the back end admin also has to get paid somehow.......I don't mind having to pay additional charges as it means I can order online, not take time out to go the venue, pay petrol, parking costs and any queuing etc

peterjca

« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2014, 06:55:01 pm »
The person doing the back end admin also has to get paid somehow......

It's a con. How would you feel if you had to pay a "handling" charge every time you bought something. Or going into a shop means you have to pay a "door use" fee because, after all, doors wear out. It's just like the booking fees, another ripoff.

Some businesses appear to be like the elite executives running companies: "how dare we have to pay for any of our own costs or living expenses?"

Good old global capitalism.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2014, 07:13:46 pm »
I dont care if the handling charge is £50 so long as the advertised price was --- would be in your case £65.
Its the suddenly adding it on at the end and no way of not paying it which means it should be included in the price.

This rearlly foc ed my off when I went to view a street tripple at an advertised price at a triumph garage and then they told me I had to pay an extra £70 admin on top, its a con alright
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 July 2014, 07:09:00 am »
Maybe you are ordering off a company who does not own the tickets,and are selling them on,,so your ticket costs the original amount plus the companys cost  :rolleyes
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 July 2014, 07:47:50 am »
So kids tickets £3.50 .....bargain.........I have no kids yet I still have to pay for 2. Now that's a  Foccin rip off
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2014, 08:46:16 am »
The person doing the back end admin also has to get paid somehow......

It's a con. How would you feel if you had to pay a "handling" charge every time you bought something. Or going into a shop means you have to pay a "door use" fee because, after all, doors wear out. It's just like the booking fees, another ripoff.

Some businesses appear to be like the elite executives running companies: "how dare we have to pay for any of our own costs or living expenses?"

Good old global capitalism.

How does your company pay your wages every week?????

Everything you buy has a margin added to it, a tax or levy, handling or convenience charge....call it what you like.....when was the last time you bought something at cost...it is a business after all and it is profits that pay staff......Buying tickets or anything online is providing a service for your own convenience....if you don't want to pay it go and down to the booking office at your own expense.....shop doors????? good example of taking it too far!!!

Remind me never to go into business with you....we'd be bankrupt in no time

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2014, 10:05:05 am »
Nicely put BBB. We do pay a door entry fee its just shop are sneeky and hide it in the price of goods.
To be fair though, supermarkets don't charge me for nappies even though I don't have kids.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2014, 10:12:12 am »
It is a foccin con,my wife bought 3 tickets for the Leeds Arena and was charged £7 handling and delivery for each ticket. She had printed the tickets off at home.! If the tickets have to have a " handling charge" this should reflect what the charge is for and not what they think they can get away with.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2014, 11:10:15 am »
Nicely put BBB. We do pay a door entry fee its just shop are sneeky and hide it in the price of goods.
To be fair though, supermarkets don't charge me for nappies even though I don't have kids.

I have my own small company and add margins to all products and services. Companies unfortunately have costs and overheads to pay to distributors, salaries, electricity, rent, rates, gas, phone bills, car costs, petrol, furniture, stationary, IT equipment etc even the general upkeep of doors....the list goes on....and even the effin taxman takes 20% of the profit....all of which have to be paid for out of these profits.....so all goods and services have a "cost of sale".....If I buy something at £100 and sell it for £120 the gross margin is £20, the net margin may only £5 or in many cases even less.

We are not being sneaky by hiding what has to be paid in the background, or have to justify it either. It is up to the customer to decide "is this value for money", if not they buy it else where or not at all......it is entirely their choice, that's why I gat a bit annoyed by people who moan about the price they have paid....after all you have entered into a contract, business or consumer agreement when you hand your cash over.....and that was your sole decision to do so.

Have you looked at the stats of companies that go out of businesses each year.....hundreds if not thousands of them....with a high percentage of them with unpaid bills or not delivered goods that customers have paid for.....then I would have the right to moan about a non existing handling charge.

We are a nation of shopkeepers anyway.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2014, 11:22:07 am by bigbluebear »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2014, 11:32:55 am »

I have my own small company and add margins to all products and services. Companies unfortunately have costs and overheads to pay to distributors, salaries, electricity, rent, rates, gas, phone bills, car costs, petrol, furniture, stationary, IT equipment etc even the general upkeep of doors....the list goes on....and even the effin taxman takes 20% of the profit....all of which have to be paid for out of these profits.....so all goods and services have a "cost of sale".....If I buy something at £100 and sell it for £120 the gross margin is £20, the net margin may only £5 or in many cases even less.

We are not being sneaky by hiding what has to be paid in the background, or have to justify it either. It is up to the customer to decide "is this value for money", if not they buy it else where or not at all......it is entirely their choice, that's why I gat a bit annoyed by people who moan about the price they have paid....after all you have entered into a contract, business or consumer agreement when you hand your cash over.....and that was your sole decision to do so.

Have you looked at the stats of companies that go out of businesses each year.....hundreds if not thousands of them....with a high percentage of them with unpaid bills or not delivered goods that customers have paid for.....then I would have the right to moan about a non existing handling charge.

We are a nation of shopkeepers anyway.

What you say is quite true but do you advertise your goods or services at a certain price then when people wish to buy them tell them there is an additional cost to pay which is not included in the price? The so called handling charges are tacked on at the very end of the transaction when they should be shown clearly at the beginning, this is why so many people get annoyed about them.

johnnyg

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2014, 11:34:57 am »
I have been to several events in The Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow and if I am going into town for other things will pick up tickets at their box office with no fees added to the ticket price if, however, I use their website I pay a fee on top of the ticket price for admin which I don't mind as it still costs less than going into town solely for the purpose of buying tickets would. BBB makes some really good points about small businesses and the risks they have to run just to stay afloat and if the full cost of what you wish to purchase is clear then applying a 'value for money' principle to your decision making is reasonable and fair. However if charges are hidden or not made entirely clear then it makes it much more difficult for the consumer to evaluate. Also in the case of Slappy's 3 tickets I would agree that it is a con to apply a handling charge to each individual ticket when they are being bought in a single transaction, I think some companies do just kick the arse out of it.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2014, 11:35:45 am »
No I certainly don't.....and I think there will be small print to cover the companies that do

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
I don't think you're going to change BBB's mind anytime soon.

It only seems to be with event tickets. I don't mind a booking fee or anything like that (people need to get paid), I just feel it should be included in the advertised cost. So if a £15 ticket has £5 booking just advertise the darned thing at £20. It seems like a backward way of doing things, and quite possibly just a ploy to make things seem cheaper than they were.

"Oh hey, do you wanna go here? It's only a tenner a ticket?"
"Yeah!" *get's the kids all excited or something
"Oh, we can't afford it actually because they didn't tell us the true cost was £15 a ticket"

Not on. Get paid by all means, just sort out how you get paid.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2014, 12:53:26 pm »
Getting charged a fiver for the privilege of printing your own tickets, is taking the foccing piss.

The general running costs for the website, should be included in the ticket price. Even if it isn't, there is no way a fiver is a fair representation of the costs to the company to allow you to use your own paper, ink and electricity...

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2014, 04:07:15 pm »
well its all changed with the new sales contract rules now
web transaction must display complete transaction price and have a confirmation before sale is confirmed by the customer

Oh and in case anyone didn't know you now have 14 calendar days to return any mail order item as not required  :)
Its just a ride

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2014, 04:28:12 pm »
well its all changed with the new sales contract rules now
web transaction must display complete transaction price and have a confirmation before sale is confirmed by the customer

Oh and in case anyone didn't know you now have 14 calendar days to return any mail order item as not required  :)
When did that become a rule? Is that a legal right?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2014, 04:38:53 pm »
To return a mail order item? Yes, and has been for a long time - the change br is talking about, increased the timescales you have from 7 days to 14

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2014, 04:58:14 pm »
13th June this year
Its just a ride

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
Getting charged a fiver for the privilege of printing your own tickets, is taking the foccing piss.

The general running costs for the website, should be included in the ticket price. Even if it isn't, there is no way a fiver is a fair representation of the costs to the company to allow you to use your own paper, ink and electricity...

So it doesn't actually matter in the slightest how you pay, whether it's in two units or not!

If you think the total cost is too high then look elsewhere, that's the joy of capitalism and free markets!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 July 2014, 06:25:43 pm »
:wall