Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:16 pm

Author Topic: Soften up the rear brake: its just to harsh  (Read 9383 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Soften up the rear brake: its just to harsh
« Reply #50 on: 26 June 2014, 11:44:42 am »
If you have a center stand this will help make it easier
FZS1000's come with a CS as standard.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 June 2014, 12:23:12 pm »
@DekF

So you missed statement I made where in my B12 dosen't lock up the rear? and now that I think about neither did my ZZR1100. The rear brake on the fazer 600/1000 has always been overkill, plain and simple. I have been making a concious effort to reduce the amount of rear brake I use, but slagging of my or someone else's riding skill is pointless. There is no way to gauge how long it will take for said 'concious effort' to translate into emergency situations, if at all.

In the meantime I still need to get around to moving the lever, checking the brake disc for true and changing the rear pads.

Your Fazer doesn't lock the rear, you do, and the fact that you think it is a brake or bike problem is why your technique is being criticized. Yes it is possible that you have a problem with your brake, and you have been told how to check it, but when you say something as silly as "There is no way to gauge how long it will take for said 'concious effort' to translate into emergency situations[/size][size=78%]", it makes it difficult to take you seriously. How long it will takes is directly related to how hard you practice. [/size][/size]Deliberately[/size][size=78%] practice doing it right until you don't have to think about it and you have a chance of doing it right when you don't have time to think about it. Don't practice and you have no chance. [/size]

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 26 June 2014, 12:50:05 pm »
I can't believe you're considering replacing a decent braking system with 9 year old hoses, that could split on you (you wouldn't have whinge them, eh?) - before you've even adjusted the pedal to suit you.  As Paul said above - difficult to take you seriously...

Rexr

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2014, 01:29:59 pm »
I hardly use my rear brake, maybe just to stabilise the bike before chucking into a corner, oh and on hill starts, but apart from that no....I do keep it in good order though.... :)   
Rexr.

Keep it simple......stupid..!!!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 June 2014, 07:10:54 am »
Ive read & re-read the posts on this thread & I cant understand what your problem with the back brake is!
Yamaha in their wisdom(they know a thing or two about bikes) decided to fit twin discs to the front wheel each with 4 piston opposed calipers and a single disc of a smaller diameter with two opposed piston caliper to the rear.
Its pretty obvious which brake does most of the work!...but there are times when you wouldnt want to use the front...just as there are occasions when its a good idea to use both together.
Unlike cars where one pedal controls the brakes on all 4 wheels-some using sophisticated pressure limiting devices to avoid lockup, bikes have two independent braking systems with very different physics involved.
So unless you buy a bike with ABS,TCS etc fitted as standard you just have to learn how to brake properly,safely& effectively.
Any talk of fitting old (possibly perished) hoses/inferior brake pads tells me you need to practice finesse with your technique. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the standard set up which can only be improved by fitting braided hoses(rubber hoses have a limited life span) and it doesnt matter what you do/spend on your bike it wont make you a better rider. Only practice/training will do that.
The last thing anyone wants is some nagging doubt about the condition of the brake systems especially under emergency braking conditions. A locked wheel is a useless wheel so as said by others examine your technique and practice. Many novices fail to appreciate how hard you can actually brake UNDER FULL CONTROL!