Date: 16-06-24  Time: 06:51 am

Author Topic: Light Fitting Corroding  (Read 779 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Light Fitting Corroding
« on: 20 May 2014, 01:42:00 pm »
Hey,

So I've posted on here before about my light and the fact that the cone was directing the light badly and considered taking the cone out completely. Anyway, two weeks ago it passed it's MOT which is great... The not so great news is that on Friday night I rode in the dark for the first time in a while and noticed that my relatively poor lighting was in fact terrible. Unless you want your lights to be highlighting the top of trees that adorn the side of roads!

Having managed to get back to my folks using the light of fellow road users and Full beam when possible (seriously, the beam emits a faint glow onto the road that would be replicated by attaching my phone to the front of the bike) I took the rubber light casing thingy off the back of the light to see this:

http://screencast.com/t/Z6wMi7ZQwpFR

There is a metal clip which the garage who repaired my bike had put in place to hold the cone. What appears to be happening is that the light unit is corroding to the point where the clips on the cone have pretty much nothing left to hold on to, hence directing my light towards the moon.

I wondered if people had any ideas what might be causing the corrosion. I was thinking potentially the bulb is too strong or that the metal wire is causing some kind of current to be passed though??

I have a spare headlamp unit which I could fit, however as I'm heading to France in 2 weeks I'd rather not have to attempt the removal and re-fitting of the fairing in a rush.

Was contemplating taking out the cone, meaning I can remove the metal wire assuming this is a factor

Has anyone seen anything similar before? It's a little concerning how much of the light fitting has disappeared in the last 6 months!

Thoughts/advice most welcome,

Cheers

HJR

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Light Fitting Corroding
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 05:19:52 pm »
If you've got a replacement headlight stick it in, it's a handy job, shouldn't take more than an hour. Go for it you'll be grand ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Light Fitting Corroding
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 07:42:55 pm »
Vibration is what does the damage to the headlight, if the shroud is slightly loose it rattles and abrades the reflector material. Mine went the same way about 10 years ago.
Many people just remove the shroud/cone thing and seem to get away with that at MOT time. I felt there was a bit too much dazzle and cut a lightweight replacement out of a beer can that is held in position by the base of the bulb.

« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 11:57:35 am by Fazerider »