Date: 03-06-24  Time: 10:38 am

Author Topic: Hello Everybody  (Read 2563 times)

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
Hello Everybody
« on: 21 April 2014, 11:07:26 pm »
 I have been on Superduke and ktm forum for a few years (dont get out much).

Now sold my RC8 and bought a 2004 FZS1000 from a guy who had it from new and only managed 5000 miles (he didnt get out much either).

Got a few plans to upgrade the Fazer and will need to ask a few dumb newbie questions along the way. Please bear with me during this difficult time as the bike is a keeper and I hope I wont be the new boy in school for long.

mark

• DAS Born Again
  • do 1 thing a day that scares you
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 & triumph tiger 885i
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Everybody
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2014, 07:25:28 am »
Welcome to the forum mate

We all ask a few dumb ones :eek  lol there's loads of info on here and loads of meets

Get a pic up of ur bike mate so we can judge u oh err err err the bike  :rollin

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2014, 10:40:32 am »
Welcome mate

Crack on and enjoy the banter

& we do love pics

First port of call im sure you know is the search function at the top next to the my messages button...if you cant find what you're looking for in there then everyone is usually mkre than happy to help.

RC8 to a fazer eh.....interesting.....someone on here recently went fazer to RC8.......what say you of the beast vs the fazer beast????.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
Greetings Luke, and welcome to the foc-ers.

RC8 to a gen I fazer :o:o:o now that's a bit of a switch! Whatever made you do that?

I'm sure if your going to do the miles, the big fazer will be better (and not much slower either!) Been toying with the idea of a change to a KTM myself for a while now. Might pick your brains later.

But for now we need Piccies!

Could you sneak a pic of the KTM in without anyone noticing. :P
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2014, 04:27:35 pm »

RC8 to a gen I fazer :o :o:o now that's a bit of a switch! Whatever made you do that?

I'm sure if your going to do the miles, the big fazer will be better (and not much slower either!) Been toying with the idea of a change to a KTM myself for a while now. Might pick your brains later.

But for now we need Piccies!

Could you sneak a pic of the KTM in without anyone noticing. :P

Why did I change? Old age, I suspect mate. I had sportsbikes since the mid 80's never wanted any other type of bike and for the last 15 years the bulk of my biking was country  lane blasts around Kent.

Since 2005, I have always had a Superduke which is perfect for the riding I do but too uncomfortable to ride for much more than an hour at a time. I bought the RC8 as I wanted one and a mate needed to sell quick. I liked it but I just dont need a 150bhp sportsbike for my riding.

What I needed was a bike I would ride for its own sake and hopefully go a bit further afield on. I tried every sports tourer and adventure bike out there but none really ticked all the boxes. Knew the Fazer was a good bike and could be made to handle from my time in the IAM so here I am and well pleased with it so far.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

This is my Superduke, although it is a bit more modified now.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2014, 04:45:50 pm »

This was my RC8. :\

And this is my new girl

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2014, 05:00:40 pm »
An FZ1 I see. I very nearly bought one of those in the same colour and everything recently but alas, a deposit had already been left.

Do you know where it is originally from? I was informed by a member on here most FZ1's came from France or USA. If it's French it may be restricted too, but I think it's easy to sort out if so :)

I'm sure nickodemon will likely see this at some point anyway, he knows much more about it than me.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2014, 05:12:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :)

Given the paint job and the fork reflectors i'd guess it was a US model - no other differences that I'm aware of. I do like those "skunk" paint jobs.

Got any thoughts about any mods you might like to do? Lots of useful info and help on here, so just shout if you need owt - not me p'raps, but there are some very knowledgeable FOCcers around here.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2014, 05:13:19 pm »
We think it is a US model. It was originally supplied by Taz in Peterborough who dealt in imports. It doesnt feel restricted, I had the 2000 R1, which was about 130 odd bhp (although they were claimed to be more). The Fazer seems to be closer to that than to my 120bhp SDR. Either that, or I am being deceived by the smooth power surge of Jap inline 4's again after riding too many lumpy European twins......oooh err, missus  :o

I am getting the Fazer dynoed, and forks rebuilt, steel brake lines, new bars, levers, grips fitted as we speak so I should get some numbers in next day or so.

I am also speaking to Mike on here about his Ivanising install so whatever bhp it has now it should have more soon.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2014, 05:25:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum  :)

Given the paint job and the fork reflectors i'd guess it was a US model - no other differences that I'm aware of. I do like those "skunk" paint jobs.

Got any thoughts about any mods you might like to do? Lots of useful info and help on here, so just shout if you need owt - not me p'raps, but there are some very knowledgeable FOCcers around here.

Yes I have been having a good read up for a few weeks before joining. First job is to make it handle so forks and brakes are being done as we speak and I have a 2012 S1000RR shock on its way from the states. I wanted the Nitron track shock but for 650 quid I thought I would try the Beemer one first.

The tyres fitted were the BT020's it left the showroom with and they are still mint on the edges. So rather than risk 10yr old square rubber and a lifetimes pisstaking if my mates see the chicken strips I am getting them changed.

Mike is trying to fit me in on his May Ivanising tour so power will be up and I quite fancy one of those GPR end cans as long as I can keep centre stand.

Also I have just had an enormous 52ltr Givi top box delivered. Which I am embarrassingly gleeful over even though it may as well be a big billboard saying 'middle aged biker aboard'. Never had a top box before.

bristol banger

• DAS Born Again
  • smooth an silky
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2014, 06:43:18 pm »
Never thought I'd see the day I had a top box, now I wouldn't be without it :eek
Bollocks, bigger hammer required

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2014, 07:01:37 pm »

I do love those. is the fuel range as woeful as they say (~90 miles to a tank?)

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2014, 07:21:00 pm »

I do love those. is the fuel range as woeful as they say (~90 miles to a tank?)

05/06 bikes have a 15ltr tank so they run dry around 90 miles...ask me how I know  :o :o

07 onwards have an 18 ltr tank so you can get roundabout 100 miles out of one. Some folk get a little less but not many get much more. Big twins are always greedy on fuel and no one rides these bikes sedately. They kind of egg you on a bit.

You can retro fit the bigger tank on the earlier bikes without too much hassle.

The group I ride with includes a RSV4, 848, 1098, v4 Tuono and an SP1 though, so no one is passing many fuel stations without stopping.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2014, 07:23:36 pm »
yeah. I did think it was par for the course. I really wanted one, but up in Scotland there are routes which you can ride for 80-100 miles and not pass a petrol station...kind of scuppered that idea.

A guy in work had one and they are proper beasts though - really badly want one still :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2014, 07:27:27 pm »
you ride out with a nice group of bikes,,what i love is all them racing positions and you can sit with them sat up smiling,,,it freaks them out,i do it all the time :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2014, 07:57:52 pm »
you ride out with a nice group of bikes,,what i love is all them racing positions and you can sit with them sat up smiling,,,it freaks them out,i do it all the time :lol

Yeah on the little roads we ride they cant get enough power down to leave the 120bhp Superduke far behind and I have the advantage of being able to see further down the road. Trouble is the superduke is a nice riding position spoiled by a hard seat and sportsbike suspension. Once I have the Fazer suspended and braking nicely I am looking forward to following them around like an elderly relative. However the Fazer is an elderly relative that can still hold its own in a fight, Uncle Arnie.  :D

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2014, 08:12:12 pm »
yeah. I did think it was par for the course. I really wanted one, but up in Scotland there are routes which you can ride for 80-100 miles and not pass a petrol station...kind of scuppered that idea.

A guy in work had one and they are proper beasts though - really badly want one still :lol

That is the shame of it. I had the same in Germany, the fireblade I went on was perfect for getting there, perfect for the ring (had some suspension upgrades though) but for riding the roads around the Ardenne / Black Forest I just wanted it to turn into the Superduke.

Trouble is, the Superduke would have needed a support vehicle following it like Ewan and Charlie. Except it would have been a fuel tanker not a film crew.