Date: 17-06-24  Time: 14:06 pm

Author Topic: Another Helmet thread  (Read 9366 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Another Helmet thread
« Reply #50 on: 31 March 2014, 02:38:20 pm »
The helmet that my IS-17 replaced was only a cheap Box, and I didn't expect any better than I got with it. Ok for a short while, not particularly comfortable, but not a particularly great fit either, so pretty noisy - and no, not a great deal of difference in the buffeting department as I recall, but would have to try it again to be sure - not something I'm particularly inclined to do! (I do remember having to rescue it from the back of my head after any faster runs!  :lol) And it could be the combination of factors, just hitting on the right formula for my particular set up. The IS-17 was ok, I just didn't realise quite the extent the difference could be between helmets, and had more or less assumed that you had to put up with a certain amount of this. I'm talking about above legal speeds after all. The main reason I replaced the IS, was the air flow into my eyes remember. Otherwise, not a bad lid, considering I only paid about £70 brand new.

I swapped the useless legal tint visor that comes with the RPHA for a dark one, no it's not legal, but never had any issues about that before. If you're not otherwise behaving like a prat, not wearing it in the dark or poor light conditions, you'll be ok - never heard of someone being done for JUST a dark visor, I think it unlikely, especially if you have a clear one with you too, which I normally will cos if I'm planning on doing any distance, I'll usually have my tank bag with me, so not a problem.

I did like being able to drop the sun visor on the IS just to give some eye protection with plenty of ventilation, so I know where you're coming from there - oh well, can't have it all I suppose  :\

As mentioned previously, there is now an RPHA ST, with drop-down visor. But they've had to change the shell shape to accommodate this, which will affect airflow, and the sun visor looks even lighter than the IS one - pointless! Plus the mechanism for it reminds me of the Box ones; feels a bit cheap.

Racking my brains, but someone told me recently that there is a place you can take a helmet out for a check with - don't hold your breath, but I'll find out if it was someone at work who mentioned it. Can't think how that would work, as it presumably means they'd end up with a load of used helmets...

Ok, so I just tried swapping between IS and RPHA a few times, just static. I definitely notice the weight difference, RPHA being lighter, I can feel that straight away. Cheek padding fit is about the same on both, IS pads maybe sit slightly lower. Crown is much snugger for me on the RPHA, which also doesn't have padding sitting right on my ears, so is more comfortable in that regard. RPHA just generally feels comfier, liner material feels softer, plusher. I thought the IS might have loosened up a lot more, but still not a bad fit after 10,000 or more miles.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Another Helmet thread
« Reply #51 on: 18 May 2014, 11:02:46 pm »
Ok I thought that I had better update this as I have now got the is17 and so far done about 200 miles in it.
It is about 10- 15 miles and hour quieter than my old one and on my old one although the view is the same it was made less by some extra internal padding than came down on my forehead so on the is17 I can feel alittle bit more air which is good.
I am enjoying the second darker visor and after 200 miles I think it is ok as I was thinking that it wont be dark enough.
It is a elongated shape as compared to my old one and at first I could feel the wind trying to twist it when I turned my head but I don't notice that now.
The only thing I don't like about it is the pinlock recess as when I have the visor open a little and look over my shoulder my view is obscured a little by the "step down to the thinner part of the recess, and the click lock on the visor (to shut it) seems a bit stiff in that I have to push more than I think to fully shut it --I might but some lube on that.
So all in all ---- good
Thank you for the help.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.