Date: 01-06-24  Time: 18:41 pm

Author Topic: Rear linkage bolts -loose fit?  (Read 936 times)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear linkage bolts -loose fit?
« on: 01 March 2014, 01:21:31 pm »
 It's nearly mot time and I've fitted some nice new linkage bearings because the play in the old bearings was getting a bit much. But, when I've gone to tighten it all up there is still some play in the bearings. I know from a search on this site that this is not uncommon but I took the linkage off again and noticed that there is an alarming amount of radial tolerance between the bolts and bearing sleeve. Has anyone else noticed this and has anyone sourced different bolts which might fit rather better? You'd expect the bolts to be a tight sliding fit but these are not, I checked they are the same as a mate's Fazer and they are indeed the same and his are just as wobbly in the sleeve.  Can't be right.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Rear linkage bolts -loose fit?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2014, 01:36:24 pm »
Manufacturer's spec for vertical freeplay at the rear axle is 1mm. 

Did you replace the collars/sleeves inside the bearings?  They also wear.

You can reduce the cumulative amount of freeplay by tightening the various linkage bolts with the bike on the sidestand but be careful not to hoik the bike over when torqueing 'em up. :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Rear linkage bolts -loose fit?
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2014, 07:37:26 pm »
I found when I disassembled the shock linkage parts and then reassembled the setup there seemed to be excess side-to-side freeplay which wasn't there before.
But once I took the bike down off the centre-stand, then hoiked her back up onto it a few minutes later the freeplay had mysteriously gone(!)
I have no idea how that worked / works, but have recently found a similar effect with my 600's rear shock linkage setup