Date: 17-06-24  Time: 08:02 am

Author Topic: Fazer a cracking bike  (Read 5593 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer a cracking bike
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
My best plan seems to be to keep my fazer & have a blade....

I did just that, kept the fazer for work/knocking about on, and bought a fun bike to play on. (did 8.5k play miles, and 10k work miles last year!)
But then again, I don't have a car anymore!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
My best plan seems to be to keep my fazer & have a blade....

I did just that, kept the fazer for work/knocking about on, and bought a fun bike to play on. (did 8.5k play miles, and 10k work miles last year!)
But then again, I don't have a car anymore!

I best camouflage my motors stash from the mother in law, she'll kick off :evil , my missus doesnt even drive so 2 bikes and 1 car just for me seems greedy :) , but i am greedy :b .

It's annoying coz ive got jealous when we've had the odd nice winter day & folk have been out but i cant coz my bike is winter stored so ye i could keep the fazer for these type of days & for my dad when he visits.

Come on Kentish...ive proper jacked your thread here :( , did you try a blade???
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 12:35:30 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2014, 04:59:31 pm »
Its the age old question, "What do I replace my Fazer with?"

Personally, I don't ever plan on selling my Gen 1. It does everything I could want and then some and I personally think they are a thing of beauty with a bit of fettling.

The boxeye is the bike I would look at replacing even though I still enjoy riding and polishing it. Sometimes we just fancy a change I guess. I intend to keep it for at least another 12 months and save up some dosh and then look at alternatives. There's no way I would want another sports bike as they have very limited uses in the 'real world' and I have owned or ridden most of them over the years GSXR's, R1's, ZX9's, Fireblades, ZX10's etc. They're excellent at what they're designed for but that limits the practicalities for me. I have never found them comfortable, even when I was a lot younger so it's 'sit up and beg' jobbies for me from now on.

My current shortlist (dreamlist) are Speed Triple, Ducati Hypermotard, Aprilia Tuono V4 or maybe the FZ8.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2014, 05:58:21 pm »
What about the mt-09? It's a hoot to ride, and it's a right torquey hooligan.

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2014, 06:23:00 pm »
The FZ1 is a 'Jack of all' but master of none...

Its not a sports bike and not a touring bike but will do both adequately enough.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2014, 06:55:31 pm »

Nice as my Fazer is, if they put a fairing on the MT-09 I'll be first in the queue.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2014, 07:05:11 pm »
I talked to the guys at Raceways in Fleetwood. The owner said there's about 5 new models coming out soon, watch this space for an 850/3 pot powered variant of the mt-09!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
Im gonna go 1 of 3 ways.

Keep the noggyfighter, tonnes of life left & only really suspension that hasnt been renewed or upgraded...cheapest option for now. 8)

0% finance myself up on a fazer 8, wishful thinking but it's bad enough buying new stuff without the shit APR, if they have the deal then ill sign on the dotted line & who knows they might want rid of them. 8)

Get an old fireblade......the most exciting prospect of the 3 but not without it's problems....knowing me ill be wanting a mint one for longevity & future coolness. 8)

All good options though

So frustrating though...just like circling every page in the argos catalogue as a kid before christmas. :)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 February 2014, 07:40:24 pm »
I've ridden a few bikes in the 5 years I've been riding and my boxeye 600 is definitely the best for my needs and my favorite so far. I bought it as I wanted an affordable all rounder and that is exactly what it delivers, but its so fun and rewarding to ride as well. I honestly hardly ever even get to properly nail it and use its power, mostly I enjoy its decent handling and the fact that in 5th / 6th gear it is nice and responsive @ 60mph when having fun on national speed limit twisties. Perhaps that's due to where I live and what I use it for. Even so, when you do hold it up to 12k in low gears you are reaching 80-100mph in seconds....that still amazes me. Obviously there are faster bikes, better handling etc but as a budget all rounder you can't really fault this bike. The only 2 bikes that have blown me away in a similar way in terms of raw acceleration and feeling of speed were my mates GSX 1400 and when I was 16 my friends tuned DT125 (granted I've never ridden a proper sports bike). I would not have either of them over my Fazer though.

For someone my age, this is the best all round bike money can buy for the price and that's not to say it isn't for somebody older either it's just insurers are harsher on young people. A FZS 1000 or supersport like Joes ninja will be quicker of course, but how often do you truly use that pace? I have never once come off a ride and thought, well my Fazer 600 was a bit slow today I could have really done with a 1000cc. Its more to insure and run, more tax and costs more to actually buy in the first place. This may sound Biased but I can really genuinely not think of a better do it all bike that costs approx £1500 to buy at £300 a year fully comp insurance for a 21 year old. VFR? More expensive to insure and I hate clip ons. Never ridden one but can't imagine them being THAT much better than a Fazer. Hornet? Not as versatile. Same with SV although I do like them a lot. Bandit you can get for cheaper but not as good a bike. TDM 850, kind of boring. All the 500 twins are a bit small and meh. Supermoto's, great fun but nowhere near the versatility. An old GSX-R or something similar? Once again clip ons and more to insure. FZ6 / 8? Not my cup of tea at all. The mt-09 and 07 do look interesting though, but expensive... A mate recently got a GSR 600 on finance and traded in his bandit 600 so will be interesting to see what he makes of it long term. It's once again not my cup of tea though. Street triples etc at my age are no chance. Do they even tour anyway? The pillion seat is a postage stamp... It has to be a Fazer every time, just a shame you have to spend a load to make them comfy for tall people. My plan is to do mine up as good as I can / need for comfort and then buy a big old thumper of a dirt bike as a second bike to mess about on and work on, possibly convert to a supermoto.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2014, 08:21:54 pm »

Its a possible Steve but the only reason I put the FZ8 in my shortlist is down to brand loyalty I guess. The other 3 are there because they are a bit different and I have never owned a Triumph, Aprillia or a Ducati. The shortlist may be down to 2 now though after checking out the 2nd hand prices of the Tuono V4PRC on Ebay. HOW MUCH. Way above a man of my means  :'( I suppose the older Tuono would be a viable option and they are more affordable but they just look unfinished to me and nowhere near as nice as the latest model. When did naked bikes get so expensive ???

I think I have just stumbled upon the reason we love our Fazers so much !!!. They are a hard act to follow (hence the reason we always have massive debates about what to replace them with) and, they are affordable. When it comes down to performance per £££ what other allrounders come close. The emphasis here is on ALLROUNDERS, not cheap sportsbikes.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 February 2014, 08:31:09 pm »
My wingman has a mille fighter modelled on a tuono, and tbh it's not as good in my eyes as my fz1 (i always hit the limiter when I ride it!).

I had a 'prilla myself, it was a love/hate relationship!

the triumph (I had a tiger 1050) awesome engine! especially when tuned up. The St would be the closest useable bike to a fazer, the Speed triple the most involving but impractical. The engine has the same characteristics as the mt09, but the yam as per usual is more raw, more fun!

As for Ducati, well never had one, but a guy I used to ride with had a 748 that broke down EVERY ride out. that kind of put me off, and the fact that on tickover they sound like a knackered petrol driven cement mixer (anyone remember them?)

Each to their own and all that, good luck with finding the ideal bike!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 February 2014, 08:43:48 pm »

Chaps...the FZ8.....like lez...one reason to have one imo...brand loyalty...&  :faz  Loyalty....all salute the mighty

:faz 8) 8) 8) :) :sun :) 8) 8) 8) :faz

Looks a tidy bike...ok maybe a little bit generic or cloney...not too crazy....little  reserved etc.........but only 200cc off the thou......does it shift or does it foccin shift????.....as some have said it would be cheap to run, surely handles well....plus not being a thou means no pressure on the old "must be in the front" stakes as it is only an 8.

Im really intrigued...just because it doesnt sell that well...but could it be a secret Gem???

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25 February 2014, 09:12:25 pm »
What's the power delivery like on the 8? I was guessing it was like a less powerful gen II, all revs and screams, with less bottom end torque than the fzs.
I'm probably wrong though, am I :-\

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 February 2014, 10:02:06 pm »

I do quite like revvy screaminess i must say.....it's like you can prepare yourself before it kicks in instead of being caught out torquing it up too early. :)

I mean theres merits to every type of engine but a high revving engine on song gives me a stiffy! :b

A quick scan on google reveals some nice looking FZ8's, wee exhaust mod & bobs yur uncle.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 25 February 2014, 10:05:37 pm »

Out yur caves FZ8 owners! :whip

What knows ye......what secrets you be keepin??????

Beeblebrox2nd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 26 February 2014, 02:59:50 am »
Has no-one read MCN this week?
Instead of the MT-09, why not the MT-07?
Still sticking with brand loyalty (whatever that is!) but have a better bike. None of the fuelling issues the 09 has but with all the fun and only £5200 new!
If it came with a nose fairing, I'd be well up for it as a Fazer replacement.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2014, 08:03:49 am »
Can't wait to try out the new Monster 1200 .

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 February 2014, 11:07:37 am »
I really have no idea what I want to buy next. I'm thinking Sports bike though... this will obviously be in addition to my Fazer

I'm tempted at looking in to the Ducati path... maybe a 1098... but I know foc all about them in reality

A lot of people seem to hate the idle noise because of the dry clutch... I actually don't mind it and in some cases quite like it...

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 February 2014, 12:41:10 pm »
Still sticking with brand loyalty (whatever that is!) but have a better bike. None of the fuelling issues the 09 has but with all the fun and only £5200 new!

But they cant sell this bike for this money and still expect 7 or 8 grand for a fazer 8 can they...an old model.....there must be some cheap fazer 8's just around the corner.£££

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26 February 2014, 06:42:04 pm »

But they cant sell this bike for this money and still expect 7 or 8 grand for a fazer 8 can they...an old model.....there must be some cheap fazer 8's just around the corner.£££

Wopuldn't expect to see the Fazer 8 dicounted that much because of the MT-07 - that's a cheap commuter/first big bike kinda thing basically! (cheap suspension and brakes, and a parallel twin motor)

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 27 February 2014, 10:37:12 am »
I've had a few bikes including 3 from the Fazer 'brand':

A gen 1 thousand is the only new vehicle I have ever bought and I had it for ten years and 50k miles. I'd still have it now if it weren't for a patch of diesel :\ . Outstanding machine that I rode most days as I commute into London and I also used it to tour Europe a few times.

A 2006 FZ6 with about 13k miles on it. The lady who took me out in a SMIDSY did me a little bit of a favour by writing it off. The main issue I had with it was the on/off nature of the throttle and I can safely say I am no fan of fuel injection on bikes.....yes, yes I know it's so much better in many ways except for the most important one for me which is 'feel'.

I now have a 2003 FZS600 and it is easily better, for my needs, than the Gen 1 and is the best bike I've owned. I've ridden 10k miles on it and find it so much more nimble than the thou and just as quick for my riding style. I haven't toured on it, and probably won't, but that's only because I won't tour on a bike again. I'd have no problem cruising at Europe motorway speeds all day on it and then doing the twisties.

I ride BMW RT's at work and would rather have my Fazer for touring purposes as it's a much more comfortable fit even if it a bit more cramped, as for getting through traffic the BMW is almost as big as a car and makes filtering ...err.....entertaining! I couldn't have anything sports orientated as the lean forward position restricts so much of my vision that it feels very unsafe.

Looks like I'm stuck with what I have then! Oh well... 8)