Date: 16-06-24  Time: 12:45 pm

Author Topic: Increase in MPG/K&N  (Read 10417 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Increase in MPG/K&N
« Reply #25 on: 23 January 2014, 01:16:53 pm »
physiological. ---------------- it wasnt me that spelt it wrong it was the spell cheque !!!!
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 January 2014, 01:54:04 pm »
Yep I hear you.
But is there anyone else on this forum who has fitted one (on a fzs 600 ) and seen a difference.
You see I am biased because I have just fitted an OEM one and dont want to feel ive made ---- not a mistake, but missed a trick by not fitting a K&N one, And so far there is only one person saying they saw a difference.

You still don't believe me do you?  :lol

If anything it's worth getting just to save money, 'cos it'll be the last one you buy for the bike!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #27 on: 23 January 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
Sure, I failed to mention other factors that may have effected it, fact is they have only just sprung to mind.

My bike has 48,000 miles on it, I purchased it at 44,000 miles

When I changed the filter, the oem filter had writing showing the mileage it was fitted. But it had 2 lots of mileages, which makes me think that it was fitted at 21,000 miles, then cleaned and refitted at 33,000.

Retrospectively, I would think this to be the major contributor - reused oem filter.

But who cares? Bike feels livelier and I don't need to look at the filter until I hit 100k on the mileage!
:)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2014, 02:04:31 pm »

No and neither does Fazerider

I agree, it's psychological (assuming that's what you meant). A filter that is less restrictive won't alter the fuel/air ratio and the amount of work the engine has to do to pull air through the filter is trivial. It will make a difference at the top end of the engine's performance where it will make a couple of extra horsepower available (with a corresponding increase in fuel consumption).
I neglected the air filter on my bike for many years, it probably did about 80,000 miles in that time. There was no detectable change in mpg when I put the new one in.

I think the OEM one will be the last one I buy for the bike 16000 miles over 15 rears till first change so my next will be at 32000 miles in the year 2029

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 January 2014, 02:43:54 pm »

No and neither does Fazerider

I agree, it's psychological (assuming that's what you meant). A filter that is less restrictive won't alter the fuel/air ratio and the amount of work the engine has to do to pull air through the filter is trivial. It will make a difference at the top end of the engine's performance where it will make a couple of extra horsepower available (with a corresponding increase in fuel consumption).
I neglected the air filter on my bike for many years, it probably did about 80,000 miles in that time. There was no detectable change in mpg when I put the new one in.

I think the OEM one will be the last one I buy for the bike 16000 miles over 15 rears till first change so my next will be at 32000 miles in the year 2029

I think i've walked more miles than that at work over that period of time!  :lol

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 January 2014, 06:13:16 pm »
I got a K & N after seeing Darrsi's write up about is and I honestly did notice a considerable difference. Partly that was due to the filter I removed being covered in emulsified oil along with most of the bottom of my air box. I think whoever last replaced the filter had put waaaaayyyyyy too much oil on the foam bit and it had gone everywhere or mixed with some water somehow. After cleaning all that up and putting the K&N in the bike ran superb and low down grunt was vastly improved. It really struggled pulling away previously. I don't look at or record the mpg, its good so that's all I need to know. I agree with his statement about throttle response as well, felt nice and crisp where it felt very vague and hesitant before. Obviously, that is likely mostly down to having a load of crap in my air box but the K&N just looks a much better made product than the one I replaced which is now in a landfill somewhere along with all the other disposable ones everyone has got rid of.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2014, 06:25:59 pm »
Yamazer-92 your testomony does not count because the OEM filter does not have oil in -or on it, so what you had was almost a complete air blockage due to the oil that shouldnt be there.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 January 2014, 07:17:37 pm »
When I bought the bike it had allegedly been fully serviced, although after having trouble pulling away and a few other issues I decided to inspect some parts myself and decided to service it properly. From what I could tell they hadn't serviced it at all and that was from a dealer. As for the oil in the air box, I have no idea why that got there or how but thankfully it's all gone now. It was emulsified and looked like mustard. It wasn't all over the air filter, just underneath it where the foam part is where it sits on the bottom of the air box. The air filter was quite dirty looking though. I think its a bit unfair to just fully discount what I've written anyway. If you mean its not really valid because I didn't ever have a fully new working OEM one to try then fair enough but the point still stands I put in the K & N about 4k miles ago and I have noticed a good positive improvement. For £30, if that's partly psychological then I'm not complaining as its going to last the life of the bike anyway.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 January 2014, 07:43:09 pm »
I dont mean to be harsh its just when I read the 1st line of your post I thought Oh there you are fazersharp there is some more proof, (I want to be convinced) and then you say it was full of mayonase and gravey and mashed potato.
There is still only 1 person saying it made a difference  :evil

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 January 2014, 07:44:25 pm »
When I bought the bike it had allegedly been fully serviced, although after having trouble pulling away and a few other issues I decided to inspect some parts myself and decided to service it properly. From what I could tell they hadn't serviced it at all and that was from a dealer. As for the oil in the air box, I have no idea why that got there or how but thankfully it's all gone now. It was emulsified and looked like mustard. It wasn't all over the air filter, just underneath it where the foam part is where it sits on the bottom of the air box. The air filter was quite dirty looking though. I think its a bit unfair to just fully discount what I've written anyway. If you mean its not really valid because I didn't ever have a fully new working OEM one to try then fair enough but the point still stands I put in the K & N about 4k miles ago and I have noticed a good positive improvement. For £30, if that's partly psychological then I'm not complaining as its going to last the life of the bike anyway.

Like this:

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 January 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
I dont mean to be harsh its just when I read the 1st line of your post I thought Oh there you are fazersharp there is some more proof, (I want to be convinced) and then you say it was full of mayonase and gravey and mashed potato.
There is still only 1 person saying it made a difference  :evil

Can you not add up, there's 3 people on this post alone blatantly saying it made a difference but you are choosing not to listen?  :rolleyes

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 January 2014, 08:38:33 pm »
fight fight fight  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 January 2014, 09:17:16 pm »
fight fight fight  :lol

I just don't get it, it's dcurzon's post praising them, everyone knows my thoughts anyway, then Yamazer-92 said how much he noticed a big difference, so how the foc is that one person?  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 January 2014, 09:27:19 pm »
1st of all what is that stuff and how does it happen.
And my question is about the suposed increase in power/ responce which dcurzon did not say anything about he only said about mpg which also has been debuncked.
yamazer-92 (in my mind) dont count as his 1st filter was blocked with custard anyway so of course hes going to see a difference.
That leaves 1 yay sayer ---- MR darrsi

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 January 2014, 09:35:04 pm »
1st of all what is that stuff and how does it happen.
And my question is about the suposed increase in power/ responce which dcurzon did not say anything about he only said about mpg which also has been debuncked.
yamazer-92 (in my mind) dont count as his 1st filter was blocked with custard anyway so of course hes going to see a difference.
That leaves 1 yay sayer ---- MR darrsi

Something to do with moisture mixing with oil vapours from the engine i think?
That was actually my bike.........and my finger.  :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 January 2014, 09:38:37 pm »
Do you have the large rubber shroud/ skirt/hood fitted thing that also acts as a rubber grab for the side pannels

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 January 2014, 09:46:11 pm »
Do you have the large rubber shroud/ skirt/hood fitted thing that also acts as a rubber grab for the side pannels

Yep

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2014, 09:54:44 pm »
The oily crap comes from over filling the oil or from excessive gases getting past the rings and pressurising the crankcase causing oil to get pushed into the airbox.  There's a pretty big kink in that breather too so it'll get blocked quick enough and then the lovely mayo builds up from water vapour not being able to get through the breather. That's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 January 2014, 09:56:11 pm »

Yep
Ok I was thinking -- somone on here was asking if they could do away with all that faff of a thing and although i know it wasnt you I thought maybe somone before you removed it, and then I thought ---yes that is what it is for - to prevent excess moisture.

Anyway its still only you (on this forum ) with a FZS 600 that "thinks" there is a difference with a K&N filter with reguard to responce and performance. Dont get me wrong I want to be convinced.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 23 January 2014, 09:57:54 pm »
The oily crap comes from over filling the oil or from excessive gases getting past the rings and pressurising the crankcase causing oil to get pushed into the airbox.  There's a pretty big kink in that breather too so it'll get blocked quick enough and then the lovely mayo builds up from water vapour not being able to get through the breather. That's my theory anyway and I'm sticking to it :lol
Now you see you have got alot of big words there and so im convinced

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 23 January 2014, 10:11:48 pm »

That's what i meant to say  :lol

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 January 2014, 10:20:42 pm »
Now you see you have got alot of big words there and so im convinced

What like crankcase? That's not big and I think it might be two words :lol I thought we'd done the k&n debate before and someone had dynographs showing there was no increase in power but that it  gave a better power curve so you get better mid range whatever that means :lol I haveone because you can clean it and reuse it. If you don't have one I don't think you're losing out anything really

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 January 2014, 10:21:52 pm »

Yep
Ok I was thinking -- somone on here was asking if they could do away with all that faff of a thing and although i know it wasnt you I thought maybe somone before you removed it, and then I thought ---yes that is what it is for - to prevent excess moisture.

Anyway its still only you (on this forum ) with a FZS 600 that "thinks" there is a difference with a K&N filter with reguard to responce and performance. Dont get me wrong I want to be convinced.

If you want to be convinced........buy one!

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 26 January 2014, 10:24:22 am »
Yet to fit  a K&n to my Fazer,really must do this Spring.

Previous vehicles so fitted defo gave better pickup plus slightly better mpg.

k&n negatives:
               temperamental wet weather starting, why? or if this also applies to fazer version  i do not know.
                Slightly alarming that when you hold a K&N up to the light you can see pin holes!  :eek Anyone?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 26 January 2014, 10:28:07 am »
Yet to fit  a K&n to my Fazer,really must do this Spring.

Previous vehicles so fitted defo gave better pickup plus slightly better mpg.

k&n negatives:
               temperamental wet weather starting, why? or if this also applies to fazer version  i do not know.
                Slightly alarming that when you hold a K&N up to the light you can see pin holes!  :eek Anyone?

I've never had problems with starting in wet weather, that sounds like an issue elsewhere.