Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:26 pm

Author Topic: Thought the only nice thing about England was football  (Read 4663 times)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Thought the only nice thing about England was football
« on: 11 December 2011, 01:05:46 pm »
 :eek
TT3D : Closer To The Edge - Official Trailer [HD]

Must... go... next... summer...   :b
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
Re: Thought the only nice thing about England was football
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
The only good thing about football is during the finals the roads empty. I m sure I need say no more.

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2011, 10:11:50 pm »
I don't know where you went to school slaninar but the geography teacher didn't do a very good job, the Isle of Man is NOT in England. The Manx people are very keen on that fact!!!
It's a brilliant film, really captures the essence of the TT, what a star Guy Martin is too.
My memories of the TT go back to the classic Hailwood/Agostini battles but my most memorable moment was Bill Ivy doing the first ever 100mph lap on a 125, I was a boy scout on the scoreboard that year so was a close as you can possibly get to the bikes as he crossed the finishing line.
The island is well worth a visit, if you can't get to teh TT go to the MGP in September or even the little known but fantastic to watch Southern 100 which is on in July.
The Isle of Man IS the road racing capital of the world, but IT IS NOT IN ENGLAND.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2011, 11:06:54 pm »
If ***tball was all there was in this country, I would have left years ago.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2011, 05:43:32 am »
I don't know where you went to school slaninar but the geography teacher didn't do a very good job,

Sorry, no offence meant. From Wiki information, it is a semi-independent province? All this UK, Wales, Northern/Repoublic of Ireland etc stuff is just too complicated. For most people I know: west of La Manche = England = poor weather, lovely football, strange humour, drunk tourists behaving badly (ie just like they do themselves :)  ), not too pretty women, great police (unarmed!?!).

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2011, 07:50:12 am »
Wow, looks great, I've got to see that film, and I'm going to make every effort to go, possibly to the southern 100.

Am I right in assuming it's cheaper than TT week?
Onwards and Upwards

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2011, 08:31:37 am »
Slalinar
The police are becoming more and more  armed m8...they just dont make a big thing about it. We have several armed response cops  on call 24/7 in our town. Its getting much more prevalent.
I visited the island this september for the first time, and really was quite incredulous that the racers do their speeds on what R quite rough surfaced and awkward cambered  roads. If its bumpy at 60..whats it like at 180 !. Obviously you have to know the circuit so well to even just push yer envelope a tad, so my hat is well off to these brave ( looney ??) guys. They do risk so much in their pursuit of victory.I did revel in the unrestricted sections though....its a real oddity and treat  having lived and ridden in speed camera infested UK all me life. I think it does make sense on roads out of town.
Until you ride the TT circuit , this sort of film is  maybe hard to fully impact on you.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2011, 04:39:12 pm »
Watched this in glorious 3D at the weekend, great film, some amazing and truly jaw dropping footage.

My heart was literally in my mouth when the main protagonist failed to make his appointment and the other top rider flew off the edge of the World!

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
And of course something nobody has mentioned yet, there's no overall speed limit. Follow a cop car through a 30mph limit, pass the black and white and zap him, great feeling.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2011, 07:31:27 am »
uh ?
I did mention that ! :lol ......

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2011, 08:20:56 am »
I don't know where you went to school slaninar but the geography teacher didn't do a very good job,

Sorry, no offence meant. From Wiki information, it is a semi-independent province? All this UK, Wales, Northern/Repoublic of Ireland etc stuff is just too complicated. For most people I know: west of La Manche = England = poor weather, lovely football, strange humour, drunk tourists behaving badly (ie just like they do themselves :)  ), not too pretty women, great police (unarmed!?!).

Same thinking here in Spain :lol
The truth is that I am jealous. I wish we had a race like the TT. I have to go to Man once in my life for sure.

Also no overall speed limit...

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2011, 01:41:21 pm »
Same thinking here in Spain :lol
The truth is that I am jealous. I wish we had a race like the TT. I have to go to Man once in my life for sure.

Also no overall speed limit...

That race seems inspiring and exciting. I'd love to experience it.

The speed limit thing: what does no "overall" speed limit mean? Like, when not near schools, on open mountain roads, you can speed as fast as you like?

In Serbia if you ride a motorcycle, there is practically no speed limit, since police won't chase you or even take your plates. But roads are pretty bad.

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2011, 02:37:22 pm »
It means that there are 30 and 40 mph limits in towns but once you pass the end of speed limit sign there is no overall speed limit, you can go as fast as you like. However lunacy in traffic will be dealt with as dangerous riding. If you go out when the traffic is light and do 165mph/260kph (the best I've  managed over there) you are not breaking the law. Unless you are doing silly speeds with other traffic about the Police will not chase you.