Date: 17-06-24  Time: 03:50 am

Author Topic: Getting front sprocket back on the shaft Gen 1 Thou  (Read 1474 times)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Getting front sprocket back on the shaft Gen 1 Thou
« on: 08 December 2013, 06:30:27 am »
Just replaced the front sprocket to std 16T from 15 which was worn.
The 16 is a Esjot sprocket and it was difficult to get on the shaft. I had top gently tap it on using a 36mm socket to show enough thread to get the nut on to seat it.
No way was it going to go on by hand even after checking for any burs and using a little wd40.
is this other peoples experience with the gen1?

« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 06:31:22 am by Camshaft »
where does the muffler go?

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Getting front sprocket back on the shaft Gen 1 Thou
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2013, 10:52:13 am »
Was the chain wrapped around the sprocket at the same time? I wouldn't expect the fit to be especially tight in any other case unless the threads were dirty perhaps..

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2013, 09:37:38 am »
yes it was and found it difficult, so tried it without chain and same reluctance to go on, so a bit of persuasion ensued.
I'm starting to think the Esjot sprocket may have been a tad tight tolerance wise. Expecting to have to use a gear puller come the day to remove it  :lol
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 09:38:52 am by Camshaft »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2013, 10:21:07 am »
It should just slide on with minimum resistance, something not right there.

I would have used a file to clean up the splines before fitting, no actually I wouldn't because I wouldn't buy a cheap part in the first place. A renthal front is only £14-16 so pocket money prices.

I have bought some horror bikes (and cars) in the past where stuff has been bodged up where you can't easily see it , why do it? if it doesn't fit take it back.

Sorry to moan it just a pet hate of mine, people without the skills or knowledge bodging things. And if you do have the skills and knowledge then shame on you.

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2013, 10:37:15 am »
Esjot is a quality German made brand. Perhaps unlucky this time though whatever the reason, old sprocket came off easily enough by hand ! new one not so co-operative? some bad luck I guess. I would not skimp on cheap aftermarkets, unless like a clutch lever for e.g..

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2013, 06:39:43 am »
camshaft, just be aware that the nut holding the front sprocket on is prone to undoing itself , especially if the tab washer is worn. I would do a double check after a month or so , and maybe regular checks.Its not a service item as such, just what we have seen from experience. Its always a good thing to clean out around the sprocket at least annually in any case.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2013, 07:42:31 am »
My experience - OEM C&S kit fitted with no issues. I wouldn't be bothered or surprised if an aftermarket part didn't have the same tolerances, I'd prefer a tighter fit over a slack one as long as the retaining nut properly tightened up the sprocket on the shaft, after a few thousand miles of wear I'm sure the sprocket will come off easily enough.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2013, 07:44:00 am by PieEater »