nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
mt 09
« on: 17 November 2013, 12:13:22 am »
Was at local yamaha dealers and saw the new mt 09. Better looking bike in the flesh than on print. All manufacturers are going down the route of the street triple in appearance.  Aprilia , ktm and now Yamaha are building bikes that are uber fun while making them look funky. Aprilia tuono v4r, mt 09, ktm 1290  etc... I think there is a change in the outlook for an outright fun bike. I think the days of superbikes is going in the UK. The other trend is big trailees getting big sales on our market.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: mt 09
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2013, 12:27:12 am »
Like the saying what comes around goes around, a lot of the bikes go in and out of fashion, big trailies were never in fashion in the UK but were in Europe, now they are coming into fashion in the UK, the naked bike goes in and out of fashion regular, the sports bike won't disappear but as the markets change due to emissions etc the sports bikes will change to suit.  As most bikes now are sold as a leisure item the bike will evolve in that way, hence why there are more bikes that are naked. And as most bikes have lost their sole manufacturers have realised this after smaller companies like triumph have made a bike with sole in the engine department they have had to follow suit, also the 3 cylinder engine has some  of the good points of 4 cylinders and 2 cylinders but with some character and also tend to use less fuel due to less frictional loss over a 4 cylinder engine, even car manufactures are going the 3 cylinder route 

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2013, 06:54:17 am »
Was at local yamaha dealers and saw the new mt 09. Better looking bike in the flesh than on print. All manufacturers are going down the route of the street triple in appearance.  Aprilia , ktm and now Yamaha are building bikes that are uber fun while making them look funky. Aprilia tuono v4r, mt 09, ktm 1290  etc... I think there is a change in the outlook for an outright fun bike. I think the days of superbikes is going in the UK. The other trend is big trailees getting big sales on our market.

The mt 09 in oz is very very well priced!!! great to see yam exploring with this config.  only negative for me is too much plastic and a tad cheap looking. well priced accordingly and i'd be very interested if funds permitted.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 06:54:53 am by Camshaft »
where does the muffler go?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2013, 09:51:27 am »
For someone who can't ride sportsbikes with clip-on type bars and high footrest positioning, this is a brilliant trend. Long may it continue. The sportsbike has basically ruled the roost since Suzuki's GSXR first hit the streets in 1985, nearly 30 years ago. I had become very tired of seeing so many bikes in the same mould, just a different colour depending on manufacturer. I don't mean to say it should be the end for the genre, they do after all represent the cutting edge and are in many cases the best platforms for introducing new technology, but let's have more variation available!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2013, 11:28:59 am »
I've seen 2 in London this week already, they look nice but one of them was brown!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2013, 03:35:58 pm »
Think Yamaha prefer to call it orange :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2013, 07:43:53 pm »
For someone who can't ride sportsbikes with clip-on type bars and high footrest positioning, this is a brilliant trend. Long may it continue. The sportsbike has basically ruled the roost since Suzuki's GSXR first hit the streets in 1985, nearly 30 years ago. I had become very tired of seeing so many bikes in the same mould, just a different colour depending on manufacturer. I don't mean to say it should be the end for the genre, they do after all represent the cutting edge and are in many cases the best platforms for introducing new technology, but let's have more variation available!

As someone that much prefers the riding position, and handling atributes of pure sports bikes, I really hope this trend doesn't continue!  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2013, 07:53:17 pm »

As someone that much prefers the riding position, and handling atributes of pure sports bikes, I really hope this trend doesn't continue!  :lol

:moon    :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2013, 03:17:49 pm »
What I do really miss to be honest are the days when a 600 IL4 sports bike could well be a do it all bike!
Bikes like the ZX6R (particularly the A1P 636 model), the Daytona 650, the Honda CBR600f, and other bikes of that ilk. They combined decent handling and power with usability. What seems to have happened nowdays is that they've completely seperated the two of those out, so that now you can have a choice between either an extremely focused race replica (R6 for example), or a underpowered, underbraked, and undersuspended more practical bike (the new Honda CBR600F, for example)
Really wish the clock would turn  back a few years!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2013, 04:44:20 pm »
I've missed the ability to ride any sports bikes since 1991. FZR1000 Exup was the last one I got to use. I have no idea how much better they can be - are they as good at putting Mini Metros on their roof at a closing speed of 120-150 mph?  :\   :lol

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
are they as good at putting Mini Metros on their roof at a closing speed of 120-150 mph?
Ouch..... :eek
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 November 2013, 07:02:24 am »
i had my first glimpe of one in the window of Skellerns,Worcester,,my first thought was "how small?"!!

[size=78%]
mto9
[/size]
:eek
« Last Edit: 19 November 2013, 07:04:33 am by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 November 2013, 10:17:22 pm »
That's what i meant when posting this thread. The latest'fun' bikes are really small and light, but because of the narrow seat and wide bars they can be thrown about with aplomb :)  I like the direction of modern 'nakeds' and the short sharp blast instead of a bike you can't go much quicker on over a long distance and at the end of it feel, as if i slightly underachieved and couldn't get the max out of it... aka my gsxr 1000k6. If i need to go really fast for long spells i've got my fazer thou with the necessary wind protection.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2013, 09:50:16 am »
Sat on one and it felt so light that I thought it was only my sitting on it that was preventing it from floating off.
It felt very thin and I felt very exposed up there (being up there is how it felt)
I do not like any of the colours combos with the blue wheels. The matt grey looks like it will show scratches. Other than that I dont want to risk £500 shop excess for a test ride.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2013, 09:54:55 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have a £500 excess on their own insurance nowdays.
I know when I've had "cheaper" quotes, they usually have the big excess attached.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2013, 10:56:57 am »
If I test drive a car ---no such threat is hanging over my head
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2013, 12:18:18 am »
From the headstock back it looks quite nice and minimal. Not too keen on the headlight and headlight bracket.

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2013, 09:31:24 pm »
Took a test ride one one of these a few weeks ago. Everyone is raving about it but i didn't like it. I wasn't keen on the riding position but....that snatchy throttle caught me out a few times especially coming out of corners.

Jumped straight on a Street Triple & was a much better ride - but not as good as the FZ1 test ride. :)

Great price but once you start adding a few extras (flyscreen / bellypan etc) it then starts becoming an £8k bike.
Paradox - A bit like paracetamol but different.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2013, 05:56:40 pm »
Saty on one yesterday @ NEC-not as comfortable as my FZS 600!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2013, 06:23:15 pm »
Saty on one yesterday @ NEC-not as comfortable as my FZS 600!
Very few bikes are! Just bought a bandit 600, and it's not quite as comfy as my fazer was. :'(
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2013, 07:26:49 pm »
Took a test ride one one of these a few weeks ago. Everyone is raving about it but i didn't like it. I wasn't keen on the riding position but....that snatchy throttle caught me out a few times especially coming out of corners.

Jumped straight on a Street Triple & was a much better ride - but not as good as the FZ1 test ride. :)

Great price but once you start adding a few extras (flyscreen / bellypan etc) it then starts becoming an £8k bike.

Hi and welcome to the forum Drax.
Re. the new MV Agusta Rivale: "...this bike also benefits from MV's increasing expertise with the triple's fuelling. An occasional touch of imprecision shows it's still not perfect, but generally the MV responds so cleanly that I'm not conscious of it." (Bike magazine)

So just goes to show things don't have to be this way with FI bikes.
There's a guy on the US FZ1 site who has just bought an MT-09 (FZ-09 over there) who says he got rid of most of the snatchiness by just taking up all the slack on the throttle cables, so might be worth trying if anyone buys one.

Regarding the extras you'd spend in modding to your own taste - wouldn't most people do that to any bike they bought? So the low starting price is still a bonus.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2013, 07:39:15 pm by nick crisp »

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 December 2013, 07:32:31 pm »
In my opinion...which is all it is...I think the MT-09 is over-rated!

It's a great priced bike - which certainly makes a change from Yamaha - however...why can't they do FZ1 ABS on 0% as they do with most of the range?

:(

Drax

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 December 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
Just to say  hello!!

Riva Starr - I was drunk