Date: 01-06-24  Time: 09:07 am

Author Topic: 600 to 1000.....why should i do it?  (Read 5098 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
600 to 1000.....why should i do it?
« on: 15 November 2013, 08:34:22 pm »
I'm getting the itch & after next season i reckon ill be changing to something just a little more exotic.

I really like the Aprillia Tuono Fighter......& the gen 1 thou & obviously the Gen 1 is the natural progression.....& they are seriously cheap to buy..i dont do touring or 2 up but usually at least 60 mile runs with regular 200 mile jonts.................BUTTTTTT........will it be a big enough change to make the move exciting????..i know a few of yous guys already have both 600 & 1000  :faz s or have changed up to the Thou so whats the goss???[size=78%]...things on my mind are as follows:-[/size]

[size=78%]-An Aprillia might be nice, but it wont come with the full support team that the Fazer offers, foc-u is worth allot of consideration & a great place, would i want to be a lurker with another bike??[/size]

[size=78%]-If i wont be touring, if i like scratching & summer rideouts...is it a waste to get the Thou?[/size]

-The thou was seriously overpriced when new, but did this equal much greater quality of bits compared to the 600 or are they level par on build quality.?

-Do they suffer less problems with the carbs?, i dont seem to see much on here regards carb issues?

-soeed wise, the gen 1 has more grunt & there is less gearbox dancing required, how are the gearboxes?, dont believe they have any weak points like the 600 with the 2nd gear jumping etc.

-Gen 1 looks a bigger bike, obviously to hold the bigger engine, im quite chunky & tall so would ideally like a slightly bigger bike...but is the riding position any less cramped than the 600?

-is there any more ground clearance?, i mean i know it isnt a sports focused bike but with the little wider rear tyre does it corner qny further over?

-has anyone actually preferred the 600, come on be honest :D

My plan would be to save about 3k, lots of good ones around this price, i would want a low miler bit at the same time i think its important to wait til i see one on here that has had all the major mods done as ive spent serious dosh just upgrading little bits n bobs on the 600, the one thing i would probably want to shell out big for is an Ohlins rear shock.

A bit long winded as usual, not expecting individual answers to each but generally you guys experiences on the subject would be good.

Cheers!...im all ears!!!! :)

Nog

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 600 to 1000.....why should i do it?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2013, 08:56:41 pm »
sorry, I cant offer any advice, but Ill be reading this with interest as Im almost in the exact same predicament.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2013, 09:01:59 pm »
sorry, I cant offer any advice, but Ill be reading this with interest as Im almost in the exact same predicament.

From a very basic stance Mick the main reason is that i just like the look of them.....but ill need more substance than that before i change.....i cant help feeling that my 600 knows though, poor thing stuck in the shed crying itself to sleep! :'(

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2013, 09:40:08 pm »
Site i went & put this in 600 section but really should go to the thou section.

Time to apologise to admins

Anyway Mick i found this comparison review:-

[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/road-test-yamaha-fzs600-v-fzs1000/4467-2.html[/font]

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
Ive thought about the same thing for years to go to the fazer thou but then I read about it being, yeh faster in a straight line, but I aint interested in that whilst the 600 is smaller lighter and better in the corners, for me im a slim lad and the 600 just "sits" right for me, I dont do any touring or two up but if I did then maybe the thou 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2013, 09:44:57 pm »
this went wrong so removed it ----------- you didnt miss anything
« Last Edit: 16 November 2013, 07:24:51 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2013, 11:36:15 pm »
I'm getting the itch & after next season i reckon ill be changing to something just a little more exotic.

1.) [size=78%]-An Aprillia might be nice, but it wont come with the full support team that the Fazer offers, foc-u is worth allot of consideration & a great place, would i want to be a lurker with another bike??[/size]

2.) [size=78%]-If i wont be touring, if i like scratching & summer rideouts...is it a waste to get the Thou?[/size]

3.) -The thou was seriously overpriced when new, but did this equal much greater quality of bits compared to the 600 or are they level par on build quality.?

4.) -Do they suffer less problems with the carbs?, i dont seem to see much on here regards carb issues?

5.) -soeed wise, the gen 1 has more grunt & there is less gearbox dancing required, how are the gearboxes?, dont believe they have any weak points like the 600 with the 2nd gear jumping etc.

6.) -Gen 1 looks a bigger bike, obviously to hold the bigger engine, im quite chunky & tall so would ideally like a slightly bigger bike...but is the riding position any less cramped than the 600?

7.) -is there any more ground clearance?, i mean i know it isnt a sports focused bike but with the little wider rear tyre does it corner qny further over?

8.) -has anyone actually preferred the 600, come on be honest :D

My plan would be to save about 3k, lots of good ones around this price, i would want a low miler bit at the same time i think its important to wait til i see one on here that has had all the major mods done as ive spent serious dosh just upgrading little bits n bobs on the 600, the one thing i would probably want to shell out big for is an Ohlins rear shock.

A bit long winded as usual, not expecting individual answers to each but generally you guys experiences on the subject would be good.

Cheers!...im all ears!!!! :)

Nog
1.) There's a lot of good forums out there, so that's not really too much of an issue (although equally there are some bloody bad ones!)
2.) No. Although it does tour better than the 600, particularly two up, I mainly preferred mine for the bigger engine, and better suspension!
3.) IMO, the 1000 definitely has more of a premium feel to it than the 600, which you can tell is really a budget bike - even if it is one that's more than the sum of its parts! THe 1000 also has better suspension as stock, but really does still benefit from work at both ends
4.) There's not really any issues as such that I've heard of, more that you get an excellent fueling and power improvement from fitting an Ivan's jet kit to them. As standard I found it pretty good, if perhaps a tiny bitch snatchy coming onto throttle from a closed throttle at low revs?
5.) Can't comment on the long levity of this, but i know a common mod is to fit an R1 shift arm for a shorter more positive shift.
6.)No, it's definitely more spacious, particularly two up. That's one thing I definitely preferred, I'm not even that tall (5 10, and about 10 stone so definitely not fat), but particuarly two up I feel the 600 is a bit on the small side!
7.) I found it feels more planted in the corners, but definitely takes more weight to tip in. Ground clearance I'm not sure of, I ground the pegs on both bikes easily enough to be honest? The 1000 does improve though with decent suspension as standard its a bit soft and sits a bit low.
8.) Whilst I can appreciate the 600 for being a good bike, the main issue with me is that is neither handles well enough, nor has enough power for my personal tastes. My last bike was a Ninja 900, with about 140rwhp and a lot of suspension work, and although that certainly handled well enough for me, I did feel though it could have done with perhaps a tad more poke (although don't get me wrong, it's sure not a slouch!). That's the main reason I'm going back to a Ninja (9, or maybe 10), as soon as I can - I miss out on the sheer fun factor that the bigger bikes have. THe FZS 1000 definitely was more in tune with what I was after, but its still not a sports bike!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2013, 07:01:35 am »
I reckon that the 600 is fine for all rides, i have ridden with you and you seemed to be like dog shit,i just could not shake you off :lol .

But the fact you are a big scottish chappie and you know you think you want a slightly bigger bike to sit on,,that is where the 1000 is,
its a bit bigger bike, and would probably suit you better.

You have sown your own seed in the head,,,,dream on baby :)
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2013, 07:57:08 am »
But i have to thrash the 600 to keep up though, still good fun!

If the thou really is a more roomy bike then i reckon that would be the biggest advantage to me, plus i really want a nice clean (non crashed) bike again, a bit boring ti just get another 600 & it doesnt seem like ill ever regret getting a thou.

With this MT bike coming out there could be the chance of a few more gen1s up for sale & i could get the chance of a fully tricked up one as the thou owners seem to spare no expense on mods.

Looking forward to next years biking activities & will try to get out on the 600 as much as i can & see a few more of the mighty thous in my travels.

Already got my paypal slush fund set up so time to get selling all my lifely belongings. :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2013, 09:28:08 am »
I would get a test ride on both the Tuono and Gen1 obviously the biggest difference is the engine layout so the way the bikes deliver their power is very different and you may instantly prefer one over the other. I had a test ride on a Tuono Factory (ohlins / carbon fibre / power chip) and had the biggest grin on my face when I got back to the showroom, If I'd had the money at the time I would have bought it there and then, brilliant handling and I loved the effortless way you could power the big V-Twin through corners. On the downside it's Italian so it's never going to be as practical, reliable, resistant to abuse / neglect or as cost effective to repair / maintain as a Fazer.

A well sorted Gen1 (replacement shock, fork overhaul, jack-up kit, lowered forks, Ivans kit, decent end can) is a very capable bike, I use mine mostly for scratching round minor A and B roads (no chicken strips on the rear) and for doing the odd day out with the Mrs on the back (she has a bad back but finds the pillion perch pretty comfy). Any time I get a whiff of upgradeitis it's pretty much instantly cured just by trying to think of what I could reasonably afford that would do anything appreciably better than the Gen1 without loosing on all round practicality. Personally I wouldn't bother with Ohlins, For the price you could fit a hardly used R6 shock, get the bike Ivanised and get the forks serviced (if your chosen bike hasn't already been sorted).
« Last Edit: 16 November 2013, 09:33:00 am by PieEater »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2013, 10:13:42 am »
Some good advice guys, thanks.

Theres so many bikes to choose from but i really like the sporty but upright types....tuono....the Triumph "speedtona" thing that was for sale on here....gen 1..

I really like my Renthals on the 600, the wide stance they give.

My riding style is generally scratching, within my limits, actually it is a struggle for me to just bimble along & i wouldnt be buying one that is standard regardless of how mint it might be, i just want a fully sorted, ready to go example & ill be willing to wait til the right one pops up.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
noggy"...before my foxeye i had a fjr1300...superb bike masses of power etc?....i downsized cus being a old bstd was struggling with moving it about, in and out me garage etc?...it was a big effort trying to commute on such a big heavy beast too?....foxeye i got now is perfect for my needs in every way?..ime a big bloke and yes" realy could do with a bit more space, but ime ok with it!!..i also have a thou, a 51plt stolen recovered.have had it quite a while now and not done a great deal with it?..needs alot of parts to fix it bk up!!...ive had alot of big engined stuff over the years!..and yes you do miss that extra whoomph now and again!!....its all down to you personal needs" your alot younger than me so i say go with your gut and if you want a big powerfull beast like the thou?..go for one!!...you only live the once remember ;) ........clive..

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2013, 12:35:43 pm »
If I'm being absolutely honest Noggy, then I find this one a hard one to answer. The thou is without doubt a great bike. But is it the right bike for you? Judging by the use you get from a bike, I'd have to say no. I would suggest that you ought to be looking for something a bit more sports oriented. The Tuono I think would be right up your street going by what it does. But as has been said, what of reliability, quality of finish, running costs? Have you considered the gen 2?  Sounds to me like the best of both worlds.
If you did go for a gen 1, I think you'd be disappointed with the handling after the 6. It's a much heavier bike, and demands a bit more physical input from the rider, a bit more forward planning for tackling the twisties. That's standard anyway. With the right suspension mods? Well, I can't answer that yet. Next year, hopefully, I'll get the R1 forks and R6 rear shock done, and then I might have something further to say on the matter. But it'll still be disadvantaged weight-wise.
Otherwise, I don't think you'd be too unhappy if you found it was not right for you, because there's still a lot of fun to be had from them. But make sure you go for an Ivanised bike, or make it the first thing you do if you do buy a gen 1. The transformation is astounding, it's what the bike should be. Then perhaps the R6 or other quality rear shock to help the bike deal with the extra that the Ivans kit gives you.
On physical size, I'm 6' 2'' and I don't have problems with discomfort on the bike (occasionally a touch of cramp in my leg, but more due to other things).
Give it some thought over the winter, try to get test rides of all the bikes you would consider, make sure you jump for the right reasons. As a parting shot, I would reiterate that the gen 2 is probably more what you're looking for. An awesome bike in it's own right.  :)
« Last Edit: 16 November 2013, 12:53:46 pm by nick crisp »

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2013, 04:27:41 pm »
just what I was thinking, a Gen2 is right up your street

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2013, 04:30:32 pm »
More food for thought here...ive defo gotta scratch that itch while im young...yes i do 8) ,ive done a couple years on the 600 & it'll be nice to experience big power.

I have considered the gen 2 but they are a little outta my budget.....but not sure what peachy deals could be revealed if they are discontinued...i know theres some minters out there 2nd hand for 4k territory & thats allot o bike for 4k but its gonna be a while before i have 4k in cash for a private sale.....there was one on here in scotland kept getting bumped coz it wasnt selling & it was about 4k FFS!....ye a proper point & squirt weapon......ive seen slims go on part throttle & ive heard the likes of  Stevierst talking about it's confidence giving properties on the twisties too & i like the sounds of that type of bike.

If the extra money wasnt the issue then i agree that the gen2 suits my needs more.......sports orientated...but can tour if required....sit up style with wide bars.....fuel injection so no issues with carbs/winter lay up etc...i dont do touring & ive got youth on my side so the little less comfort than gen 1 wouldnt be an issue.

Only thing is that im not overly enthralled by the arse end of the gen 2, or most modern style bikes....they all taper down too much at the back like some spindly anorexic dragon or something, what happened to the old school chunky rears :lol ..... :guitar :guitar :guitar [size=78%]" I like big buts & i cannot lie"[/size] :guitar :guitar :guitar .......why do they do this?...seriously is it for better handling or something???, i could forgive that if there was a purpose to it.........no offence gen 2 owners bythe way ;) [size=78%].apart from that it's a nice looking bike & im sure they are pretty reliable as i rarely see anything dodgy get posted about them on here.[/size]

[size=78%]I knew foc-u wouldnt dissapoint....ive gone from a 3k budget to a 4k budget in 1 foccin day he he!!!![/size] :b

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2013, 04:51:39 pm »
Hey Slim

I can see you on the old googly googly earth, defenition aint too good when zoomed right in on yur garage though.....ehhhhhhhhhh....anyway i digress......

Question about the Gen 2..............is yur garage padlocked?????????

Innit!!!!!! :b

& can i have a seat on yur steed sometime to see how cramped it is or isnt????

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2013, 05:01:54 pm »
Have you ridden a tuono mate? If not get a test ride, it will be an eye opener. they are a real beast of a bike, as a 160 bhp twin would be. You cannot ride them tamely, they just aren't that sorta bike. Most factory high barred bikes de tune the donor motor, but the priller lump feels just as full on in the tuono. That's the beauty of the fazer thou, much like the 600 variant it can be a sedate tourer, a nippy commuter, or a lunatic r1 slayer, depending on what head you have on on the day.
Gen2s are cheap for an early one now, and do feel lighter, that might be your answer. But everybody should own and run a gen one at least once in their biking lives... :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2013, 05:19:34 pm »
I think id love the Tuono i really do.

If it was someone elses bike id love it even more :D

In the end i think that yamaha type reliability is what i need.

If Aprillia wont offer that then it isnt really feasible.

I mean i know the 600 is old but the little issues it has are more than enough & i wanna ride bikes not fettle them.......well maybe micro fettling :)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2013, 05:43:23 pm »
I think id love the Tuono i really do.

If it was someone elses bike id love it even more :D

In the end i think that yamaha type reliability is what i need.

If Aprillia wont offer that then it isnt really feasible.

I mean i know the 600 is old but the little issues it has are more than enough & i wanna ride bikes not fettle them.......well maybe micro fettling :)

Most modern bikes are pretty bloody reliable to be honest mate, they've all got their little issues - the FZS 600 has that front sprocket nut, the Tuonos are mostly battery related (big twin means it needs a good battery), the rear linkages didn't have a lot of grease at all from the factory so check that's been sorted, and then the standard Aprilia rear brake issue - need to move the rear master cylinder away from the downpipes to stop it from heating up the fluid and causing your rear brake to become totally useless!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2013, 05:56:04 pm »
Ive heard this before about grease...foccin shockin really but apparently some steering head bearings comeout of  factories basically dry!!!....& customer ends up footing the bill :eek .

Well im gonna narrow things down a bit......tuono.....the one with all the bling as standard.

Or the gen 2...perhaps adding some bling.

Will give me some "activities" this winter searching out  test rides.

Still feel sorry for the 600 but there may be an option to keep it too, maybe in my dads garage in scotland so ive always got guaranteed wheels when i fly up there & relish the peachy roads.....plus that means i can sell my bike trailer & make a few bob from it coz i foccin hate the 12 hour drive up there with the bike on the trailer....& last time i broke down to top it off.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2013, 06:02:39 pm »
You want to be lazy on the clutch lever? Get an automatic.

Want more fun fast riding - get 600's suspension upgraded.

Want more power? Go to the racetrack - 600 has more power than is safe to use in the street.

FZS600 is one of the most reliable bikes. A Golf II in the motorcycle world - but a fun GTI one!  :)
A mate has 1000 and it is a heavy beast to pull in and out of garage - that does it for me. It can ride like an aeroplane, but no use to me.

1000 = megalomania in my book. No offence meant to owners. We're all different.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2013, 06:25:56 pm »
You want to be lazy on the clutch lever? Get an automatic.

Want more fun fast riding - get 600's suspension upgraded.

Want more power? Go to the racetrack - 600 has more power than is safe to use in the street.

FZS600 is one of the most reliable bikes. A Golf II in the motorcycle world - but a fun GTI one!  :)
A mate has 1000 and it is a heavy beast to pull in and out of garage - that does it for me. It can ride like an aeroplane, but no use to me.

1000 = megalomania in my book. No offence meant to owners. We're all different.

It is funny how different we are, some people stick on 500cc twins all their lives, others jump straight onto bigger bikes.

My persnal feeling is that about 140 odd hp is probably about perfect for a street bike. That said, still wouldn't mind owning something with more than that, I just doubt I'd have the skill to get anywhere near pushing its capabilities!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2013, 07:09:39 pm »
I have a 02 600 and a 05 1000  ,The 600 has better wind protection,and in my humble opinion a  better all rounder.
1000 is great 2 up, totally flattens hills.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2013, 07:11:28 pm »
Noggy , i moved house four months back,,only Nick Crisp knows where my lair is now.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Musty in that ol caravan of yours Bill, and traipsing across that bog to get to it is a pain. Mind you, I guess those foccin biting insects are a good deterrent to any would-be bike thieves, not to mention the leeches - big ugly suckers, big as your....That's if you can find the place through that persistent fog - maybe miasma is a better word.
Did enjoy the month old soup you scraped out of that burnt saucepan in the yard tho - very tasty! What did you call it? Oh yeah, you said, come in for a quick cuppa. Was only sick for 2 months after that.
Biggest worry is when they let the "psychologically challenged" lot out of the max security prison next door tho. Can never remember what day that's on.
Might be time to stop hanging those lead-shot filled trespassers on the front razor wire tho.

Good idea Noggy, go and nick Bill's bike  ;)