Date: 29-06-24  Time: 04:52 am

Author Topic: FZS600 Project. A Bike Called Polly  (Read 38677 times)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 Project. The Bike called Polly
« Reply #75 on: 06 November 2013, 01:22:04 am »
Another nice job and good write up  8)

Haha, delboy's garage has saved me loads of time and frustration. I actually found some of those at one of my local builders yesterday and bored my girlfriend with what they can be used for when I get my new bars. haha!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 06 November 2013, 01:26:36 am »
I almost forgot, while I had the bars off I took the clocks off and replaced the bulbs with blue LEDS.

Pretty happy with how it turned out!

You can't really read a great deal on the LCD display, but to be honest, you couldn't before either!

If you try this yourself (and it is VERY easy, see here: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1719.0.html )

Top Tip!!

I'm probably not alone in thinking that the main beam light on the dash is a bit bright and dazzly at night (which, let's face it, is when you'll use main beam the most!). I tried putting an LED in the place of the main beam tell-tale, but it looked foccin awful. Made an off centre spot in the lens. Not the look I was after.

So my top tip is this. Theres a good chance that the glass of the bulbs you removed when you put in the LED's is darkened from use. Just stick one of these in where the main beam tell-tale is and the light will be much dimmer!

WATCH THIS:

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 06 November 2013, 01:30:01 am »

Haha, delboy's garage has saved me loads of time and frustration. I actually found some of those at one of my local builders yesterday and bored my girlfriend with what they can be used for when I get my new bars. haha!

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Yeah, they're pretty useful. Apparently they can be used to anchor things into masonry too. But that seems pretty far fetched to me...
WATCH THIS:

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 06 November 2013, 01:36:34 am »

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Yeah, they're pretty useful. Apparently they can be used to anchor things into masonry too. But that seems pretty far fetched to me...

No worries man, good work deserves a comment.

haha, some people eh... Masonry indeed.... foccin stupid idea...

Chris

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 Project. A Bike Called Polly
« Reply #79 on: 06 November 2013, 12:22:13 pm »
This is some serious fettling youve been up to here, what made you start it all & whats the plan when youget it  finished???, have you got any more projects kicking about?..

I was forced into fettling my bike after a crash but given the choice im a bit lazy to put in the hours needed & my work is totally amateur but id love to some day buy a fully modded to death project bike from a serious fettler that always changes their bike.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06 November 2013, 01:03:01 pm »
Cheers Nog, I've had a good read through your post! I like the way it's looking. Necessity is the mother of all invention eh?!

TBH, the plan with mine is just to make it work and look as good as possible, and then ride it as much as possible! And let's admit the truth here, a bike is never 'finished' is it?!

It started purely because I missed having a bike (living in Central London forced me to sell my first bike, a small but perky ER-5)

and when I moved out of the city I decided to get back on two wheels. But without much cash to burn I had to settle for another small bike (400-500cc) or get a 600-750cc in need of some TLC.

Fettling is definitely one of my favourite ways to spend the spare time, so this one was ideal. 

The only other project is still to do with this bike.

I picked up a smashed front fairing, repaired a few of the cracks and then trimmed it right down to make a mini-fairing. It's a work in progress at the moment, but hopefully will allow me to have a streetfighter-esque look but keep the original headlights (which are now much improved, so worth keeping!). That started because the fairing and tall screen were TOO effective in Summer. No wind getting to me so i kept getting hot! We'll see how that turns out. Currently trying to decide what to do to the scratched up standard screen I got from Red98. Tall 'wraith-like' look or low cafe-racer style. decisions, decisions.

Whats your plan with the front of the Noggyfighter? You mentioned getting something different?

WATCH THIS:

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 06 November 2013, 01:53:21 pm »
Ye your bike's coming along nicely i must say, i like the fairing & the wide mirrors.

I really miss the look of having a frint fairing but ive got a battle going on im my mind...ive already spent more than enough & the bike is perfectly rideable....question to myself is this....if i spend another few hundred quid getting the front end looking all dapper......will i keep the bike???...coz it'll be money wasted that i wont get back & i could save my dosh & get a fazer 8 or even a thou...prices are so low for all used bikes at the mo & i could take advantage on a new purchase rather than losing more money on mine.....but i could soend a couple hundred & be happier with the look but what next..its an old bike & soon the front forks will need uprating....a new rear shock, a decent rear caliper off a thou...so i could be another 200 for the front...& then another £600 on  upgrades required through age, so almost another thousand squid..

I think ill wait & at least get another season outta the bike to at least get some fun outta my recent soends & if i can get away with spending nothing else next year ill maybe cut my losses & sell it on..

If i was to change the front end i reckon id be going down the cut down fairing route like you're talking about...ive actually got one of those poland made copy front fairings plus ive got an extra & importantly straight front sub fairing to mount it to...so ill need to buy another light unit off ebay, ill need to trim it down from the top so it fits round my new handlebars & mirrors on full lock....but then id need to get it sprayed coz its currently spray can gold...but again it is price....i might get £700 from a dealer as trade in with the bike as is, purely based on looks, not running ability (the rest of the bike is pretty clean & engine only done 13k & sweet as a nut)....but after spending a few hundred to make it look more standard lets say i get £1000 trade in that meansI havent  gained anything but wasted loads of time and effort...

Oh youve opened up a can of worms here mate :lol ,decisions decisions...i might have to post this up as a fazer conundrum!, they all love a good winter conundrum. :)
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 01:54:12 pm by noggythenog »

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 06 November 2013, 02:46:12 pm »
Thanks again. The mirrors were a bit of an eBay mishap and resulting shoe-horning exercise!  :rolleyes  needless to say, late model FZ1 mirrors do NOT just bolt straight on to a boxeye!

It is a real conundrum. Definitely put it to the forum at large and see what they come up with!!

The second fairing I got was only £30, but luckily most of the broken bits were scrap to my project anyway. Though that doesn't help you seeing as how you still need the headlights. Unless you stick with what you've got and modify something from another bike altogether. Like this perhaps....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gs500-front-nose-fairing-bottom-edges-broken-/290719898364?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43b0419afc

with a little cutting and trimming, who knows?!

Or this one with only one lens to be replaced. Gotta be better lights than the standard boxeye candleboxes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Trophy-1200-98-2005-Front-Fairing-Inc-lights-Broken-/380762108272?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item58a730b170

Kind of wish I'd seen that one before!

Of course, it seems that my decisions to mess with my bike are a little easier than yours as I intend to keep it for a while. Even if I were to trade it in, I'd only be going for a foxeye with lower mileage. And it's only looks and slight increase in range that would attract me to that option. Bottom line, I simply can't afford the extra fuel and insurance involved with getting a thou. So I'm sticking for the forseeable.

Looking forward to suggested solutions to your quandries though!!

WATCH THIS:

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 06 November 2013, 10:07:17 pm »
Just a quick one to explain the Airbus A380 wing mirrors!

And I start with an admission. I made a glaring nooobish mistake. I read many times that thou mirrors are a good upgrade for the early 600 mirrors.

So I ordered these puppies:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=350558490245&view=all&tid=480639190022

But of course the FZ1 and the FZS1000 are a bit different. So sure enough, they arrived and my initial excitement (they felt like top quality units, no 'hall of mirrors' style wobbly glass) quickly turned to dismay as I realised that they weren't going to fit. Particularly annoying as they took 2 weeks to arrive, and so would take another two to return before I got my refund, minus the delivery costs.  :'(

Sod it, I thought. I'm going to make them fit. They have about 41mm between the mounting posts versus the 600's 30ish mm. So not too far out.

I marked up the mirror mount arm, took a breath and drilled a hole in a perfectly good component!

Not my neatest work but it would do.

Luckily the rubber 'gasket' between the fairing and the arm was stretchy enough that i just persuaded it into place.

And then I had to cut away a bit of the fairing to make way for the wider mount posts. Again, not the neatest, but the gator at the base of the stalk will cover up the rough work!

Then the mirrors just bolted on and gave this wide armed look!

In the end the effort was worth it as I can now see clearly around my own elbows! No more funky chicken dance every time I want to know whats behind me! It has made me a little more cautious when I'm filtering, although the flatness of the mirror stalks means they do seem to go under many van mirrors and over many cars. Plus, now that I've put the Renthal Bars on, the mirrors don't seem so wide. Best of all, they are much more steady, so I have a pretty good rear view, regardless of engine revs/road speed.
WATCH THIS:

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 06 November 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
Ye they defo look good, i thought they were fz8 mirrors coz i noticed how wide fz8 ones were...& the thing is you wouldnt have attempted it if youd known about the need to do so much modding...so kind of a blessing in disguise to get a unique look.

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 06 November 2013, 10:40:24 pm »
You're so right! I'd have just got something else that would have fit straight on!
WATCH THIS:

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 17 November 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
Looking back over this, I've just realised that one of my clocks LEDs has gone already. Annoyingly, the one in the middle.

Any body else had this? Or is it a case of "Buy cheap, buy twice?"

WATCH THIS:

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 17 November 2013, 09:46:58 pm »
Thinking of replacing the bulbs in my clocks. What type of bulbs are they chap?

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 17 November 2013, 09:56:48 pm »
Cheap ones from China.

TBH, 3 of them blew just from being put in the wrong way. Not a good sign, shows cheap dodgy circuitry.

these ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300919587748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
WATCH THIS:

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 17 November 2013, 10:03:47 pm »
Thanks buddy, super star. How many bulbs did it use?

Awesome project by the way. I wish I had the time and money to plough into mine like that. Slowly getting round to doing little odd jobs I want doing on it.

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 17 November 2013, 10:25:38 pm »
Thanks Thunderpantz!

TBH i've tried to keep the cost down to a minimum. I'm a musician so money isn't exactly flowing in!!

But it's been fun.

Oh and the clocks took 3 bulbs.

I'm going to order some, hopefully, better ones. And stick a white one on the far left so I can read the LCD!
WATCH THIS:

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 17 November 2013, 10:27:13 pm »
I'd go for SMD topped bulbs if possible. They're a lot brighter. Electronics is my hobby :)

This is the effect of white and blue SMD LED's in my car
« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 10:28:57 pm by thunderpantz »

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 17 November 2013, 10:50:53 pm »
Yeah, I agree. Seems like 5050's are the best balance of brightness/heat/cost

I'll definitely be getting SMD white ones.

Car dash look good!
WATCH THIS:

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 17 November 2013, 11:06:10 pm »
I ordered some Original Yamaha Engine bars.

Ordered from 'Beinert Zweirad' in Germany for just over €70 delivered!

SO after a couple of days of wondering if Beinert even really existed, the price seemed too good to be true, they arrived. Very quickly too!

They were relatively easy to fit. Theres not much space for the bolt on the offside rear fixing, but luckily I started my automotive 'career' with an original Mini (850cc, less power than a Vespa!) so i have developed a palm thumb and a second wrist for getting into tight spaces! (For slightly more gullible among you, I have no thumb in my palm, and just the standard 2 wrists. They'd be handy though right?!). And you get 2 shiny new bolts and Nyloc nuts to replace the engine mounting bolts that the bars fix to.

It took about 20 minutes a side, but they look good. Pretty inobtrusive

The bars do now show how crappy the frame looks. A date with the wire brush and some smooth black hammerite is in order once the downpipes are off for welding. Does the list ever stop growing!

The best and worst part is that I actually got to test them this week.

I pushed the bike off the centre stand, but had accidentally left the side stand down. The side stand amazingly found a lump in the tarmac from an underlying tree root and pitched the bike over. It pulled me with it as I tried to save it so I had to hurdle the poor thing as it hit the ground. Probably looked entertaining to all around. But I was a bit miffed. However, the bars took most of the fall. And paid for themselves instantly. The super wide Renthal Bars helped too! Only a small amount of scratching on the corner of the fairing, and a new crack. But the carbon vinyl is still intact so doesn't look like it needs attention.

PHEW!!
« Last Edit: 17 November 2013, 11:12:26 pm by apage16 »
WATCH THIS:

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 18 November 2013, 12:41:08 am »
such a horrible feeling when it goes over but glad you and it are ok. Bet you're glad you bought the engine bars now!

Chris

Gav

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 18 November 2013, 08:17:43 pm »
While the projector mod you have done looks fantastic and I am looking to do the same, I would be interested to know if it passes the MOT with them fitted.  I don't see why not, but when is your MOT due mate so I can wait and find out and be sure, lol?
How reliable are those solenoid + flap dobrey's that limit the light for dipped beam?  Being cheap Chinese ebay units, I can't see those lasting more than a few years.  Also, If they fail are they spring loaded to stay in the dipped position, I guess so ?

I think I will also buy a pair anyway. as I 'm so shocked with the stock headlamp light output in the dark.

cheers
Gav
This week I've been mostly tinkering in the garage

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 18 November 2013, 11:15:16 pm »
Bad news I'm afraid Gav, the MOT isn't until next October!

The solenoids work well. Very snappy. But yes, they are sprung to the dipped position. And tbh, if I get a couple of years for the £30 they cost me, I'll be happy!

Also, if they fail MOT next year, I'll just make a more drastic and complete headlight replacement. I'm never going back to the day old glow sticks the bike came out of the factory with!!!
WATCH THIS:

apage16

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19 November 2013, 11:32:49 pm »
BLUE DIALS UPDATE!!

Now ALL of the blue LEDs have failed in my clocks. So to all who are thinking about it, probably don't get the same LEDs I did!! (See link above)
WATCH THIS:

Jamie5319

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 1990 Honda CG 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 20 November 2013, 10:48:16 am »
Excellent thread, just bought a 1999 fzs600 :D  and am picking up a lot of ideas, will definately wait till the weather heats up before I attempt any paintwork. Keep up the good work