Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:40 pm

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 14677 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Heated Grips
« on: 12 October 2013, 05:57:03 pm »
Hello Foccer's, thinking of fitting some heated grips but don't want them to be much thicker. Any recommendations and how much difference do they really make, never had them or rode a bike with them so not sure how effective they are. Cheers in advance.  :thumbup

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2013, 06:07:58 pm »
I just fitted the new Datatool therma grips, i like them as they dont have a separate controller, they wire straight to the battery too, 4 position heat and they do get hot, even with gloves on, they are larger in diameter but i prefer the increased size. Horses for courses with heated grips though, what ever you prefer but def worth it

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2013, 06:31:02 pm »
I just fitted the new Datatool therma grips, i like them as they dont have a separate controller, they wire straight to the battery too, 4 position heat and they do get hot, even with gloves on, they are larger in diameter but i prefer the increased size. Horses for courses with heated grips though, what ever you prefer but def worth it

Oooh, I've had my eye on these. I have Oxfords at the moment but tbh have never really gotten on with them and as they're getting a bit old thought I might go for the Datatool ones next time.

Do they switch themselves off after you turn the ignition off?

Lampwick

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2013, 06:48:51 pm »
Spent the last 7 years on a BMW, only worn summer enduro glove all seasons, they do make a big difference, heated grips? Yes I'll miss them.

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2013, 06:52:49 pm »
Fuzzy, they do switch off with the ignition but the 4 position switch also switches the grips off too, i like the fact they dont have the seperate control, they also have a 2 yr guarantee

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2013, 07:11:38 pm »
My choice for mid winter riding - heated oxford grips, handguard, fleece lined muffs and summer gloves. The handguard keep the muffs off the controls and the muffs keep the rain and windchill off the lot. Ridden 100 miles in sub zero temp and hands felt toasty. I got a heated vest last winter in he sales for keeping my core warm but the I'm too fond to find the cage these days to spend long on the bike in the snow.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2013, 07:28:22 pm »
I have roxter grips on both my fazers, these are a budget oxford's . I fitted them to both bikes as changing to the thinner non heated grips took a while to adgust to. The grips work well . but a heated jacket is much better, my partner and myself got ours from e bay around £30 each
best biking extra I have ever used. I haven't seen them advertised for a while, a  company called polar heat . the oxford jacket looks similar but they are not £30. I wear a thin long sleeved edz under the heated waist coat with a kidney belt over it this presses the warmth against my body.
only problem I encounter now in winter is a tendancy for the helmet to mist up when I wear a balaclava

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2013, 07:30:38 pm »
Oxford are the only company atm to do a heated grip that isn't overly thick (the sport version)

Personally I prefer the thicker heated grips, gives me more control over the throttle and has a similar if somewhat minor effect as a quick action throttle!
Some say...

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 October 2013, 07:42:07 pm »
I have oxford sports grips, don't know what I would do without them....

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2013, 08:59:01 pm »
I've always had oxford grips and they work great, especially with hand guards.  They the sport version as they are not so thick.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2013, 10:06:59 pm »
If your planning on riding through the winter , they are definitely worth the investment  , I can't leave mine on the highest setting too long as my hands get too hot even through winter gloves . I don't know what make mine are as they were fitted by previous owner .

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2013, 01:14:03 pm »
Heated grips is one of the first mods I do to a bike. I love them. It keeps you in your summer gloves for much longer. After a tour in Germany a few weeks ago, my mate and I stopped for a coffee after 200 or so motorway miles. In the cafe we got out gloves off and his hands where all pale and the tips of fingers white. I took my gloves off and mine were all red and sweaty. I found it funny. For the money, its worth it. I have R & G on the 125 and Roxter (oxford rebranded) for the Fazer. Both are good.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

NotAnotherHill

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda Fireblade 900 RRV 1998
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
My choice for mid winter riding - heated oxford grips, handguard, fleece lined muffs and summer gloves. The handguard keep the muffs off the controls and the muffs keep the rain and windchill off the lot. Ridden 100 miles in sub zero temp and hands felt toasty. I got a heated vest last winter in he sales for keeping my core warm but the I'm too fond to find the cage these days to spend long on the bike in the snow.

What hand guards do you use? I have Oxford muffs and find they press onto the levers at high speed or on particularly windy days. I was looking at ways to prevent this and Hand guards seem a good idea.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 October 2013, 01:41:54 pm »
I've got oxford sports on the fz1.. Expensive but great and intelligent controller means you can wire straight to battery and it'll turn itself off if you forget though I done mine via a relay. Fitted cheaper but recommended Daytona grips to my cb1300, get really hot but difficult to see the smaller led indicators in daylight, wish I'd spent the extra and got the oxfords for that.
Second the heated vest option, I wouldn't be without one, and strangely, having your guts kept lightly poached stops your body's natural defences drawing heat from your extremities to keep your innards warm so your hands and feet stay warmer too.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2013, 03:16:59 pm »

What hand guards do you use? I have Oxford muffs and find they press onto the levers at high speed or on particularly windy days. I was looking at ways to prevent this and Hand guards seem a good idea.

I got them tomorrow deefer when he was breaking a fazer for a song but they have no brand name. On ebay search for universal handguard - the bikeit ones for £20 look very similar but any bark guards would keep the muffs off the levers

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2013, 04:19:07 pm »

I gave up using muffs for the same reason years ago, handguards are better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as muffs for keeping your hands warm & dry.

However, whilst reading your post, I've had a thought that may just work....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/lever-protectors

:)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2013, 04:28:14 pm »
Tucano urbano muffs (the bigger thicker ones they do) fix onto the bar ends and don't bend back on the levers, plus they're warmer and more room than any others out there!
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2013, 04:29:30 pm »
Used to sell Tucano stuff, v. good quality.

Nosobrut

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Honda x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2013, 04:56:54 pm »
Out despatching till 10.30 Friday night up the A1 and back to South London ,wet and windy . Got data tool grips oxford muffs and fingerless glove  perfect combination, to warm coming back into town . I like the grips thought they might be a bit on the large size but feel ok, the switch is abit stiff . Easy to fit and wired straight onto the battery and auto switch off when you park up ,no flat batteries

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2013, 05:31:43 pm »
I'm looking at the datatool grips too, simply for the built in switch, (can be tricky removing hand from muffs to adjust switch then put back in to muffs!) anyone have temperature comparison to the oxford ones as they're the hottest make I've had so far!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
Tucano urbano muffs (the bigger thicker ones they do) fix onto the bar ends and don't bend back on the levers, plus they're warmer and more room than any others out there!

Saw these on a NC700 at a site i was on today. THESE are what you need.....they have a frame to prevent them from pushing on the levers. Have ordered some for my Fazer (Tiger has Guards + heated so sorted).

Gone for the R361 here   [size=78%]http://tucanourbano.co.uk/neoprene-hand-grip-covers/[/size]
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2013, 08:19:08 pm »

Saw these on a NC700 at a site i was on today. THESE are what you need.....they have a frame to prevent them from pushing on the levers. Have ordered some for my Fazer (Tiger has Guards + heated so sorted).

Gone for the R361 here   [size=78%]http://tucanourbano.co.uk/neoprene-hand-grip-covers/[/size]

I have these (never used them as heated grips and thermals have seen me through the last few winters) and they don't have a rigid frame ?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2013, 08:29:06 pm »
Fuzzy- you have the older ones, (which I had too) about 2 years after they added a semi solid frame that fits inside like the ones Frostie has shown, however these are the thinner, smaller muffs, good for keeping rain from going up your sleeves in summer riding or just town riding.

These are the ones you want for winter-

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tucano-urbano/bar-muffs-r321-with-bar-end-weights.html
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2013, 08:31:34 pm »
There's a different set for ones where the mirrors come off the bars btw!
Some say...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2013, 08:48:05 pm »
Fuzzy- you have the older ones, (which I had too) about 2 years after they added a semi solid frame that fits inside like the ones Frostie has shown, however these are the thinner, smaller muffs, good for keeping rain from going up your sleeves in summer riding or just town riding.

These are the ones you want for winter-

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/tucano-urbano/bar-muffs-r321-with-bar-end-weights.html

I went for the neoprene ones 'cos i thought the ones you posted were damm ugly. But saying that, do any muffs look cool............
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.