Date: 20-05-24  Time: 03:32 am

Author Topic: Tyre question - Gen2  (Read 1189 times)

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Tyre question - Gen2
« on: 22 June 2013, 10:31:17 pm »
Hi all

I am currently running with a Angel ST on the back and a Metzler something or other on the front. It's a good set up and I like the way the bike handles EXCEPT in the wet when the front feels skittish. (This tyre combo came when I bought the bike - haven't mixed tyres before)

My question is my rear has a fair bit of life left in it but front needs changing before a trip to Germany in a little under a month. I was thinking of getting an Angel ST on the front but I kind of want to change to Pilot Roads front and back (2 or 3 not bothered)

Question is - can I have a Pilot Road 2 or 3 on the front with a Angel ST on the back? (And get a PR2/3 when the Angel wears out) Or is it too dodgy mixing tyres like this? The Metz on the front is a sport tyre rather than sport touring.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre question - Gen2
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2013, 10:32:51 pm »
I do like the Pirelli on the back btw - seems good grip and wear

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2013, 11:22:27 pm »
Its hard to say of it'll be ok but it should be. Most of us on here have mixed n matched with mostly positive results. I'm currently running a front pr3, and a contisport rear with no problems. Have a go, if its no good, you'll just have to buy a rear to match :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2013, 12:21:36 am »
My experience was the PR2 on the front was terrible, kept losing it on very fast corners.
PR3 was a far superior tyre.
The best tyres I ever had on the 1000 were Metzeler Sportecs with the Michelin PR3 good also
Good article in the July issue of Performance Bike
The article is 2013 tyre test, best sporty road tyres. Metezler Sportec M5 took top honours on the road. Next month they will be testing the same tyres on the track.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2013, 01:35:00 am »
Mixing and matching tyres is a very hit and miss affair -sometimes you strike gold, sometimes it just doesn't work. If you've got the money to mess about, by all means experiment - then let me know what worked best cos I'm skint!

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2013, 10:00:16 am »
I am skint too so to be honest lol probably won't chance it and just get a Pirelli ST or GT on the front then :)

Thanks for your help all