Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:39 am

Author Topic: Problems after a lay-up 2!  (Read 1607 times)

jock

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XS1100
    • View Profile
Problems after a lay-up 2!
« on: 08 August 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
After 6 years or so without a Fazer 600 I got the one I always wanted last week, a Fox Eye 2002 in blue which up to now has only done just over 10.6k.  According to old MOTs the bike has only done 550 miles in the last 3 1/2 years an only 170 in last 17 months and 70 of that was the day after I got it.  As I got back home (luckily!) it started to sound like it was misfiring and not running well in the bottom end.
To cut a long story short it leaks petrol out of the breather pipe from between carb 1 & 2, nothing from the pipe between 3 & 4 and after about 20 or 30 seconds just refused to start and run at all.  I have changed the spark plugs, air filter and inline fuel filter and cleaned out the float bowls and jets to no avail.  The bike would start and then after 30 seconds or so would start to sound like it was missing again and start leaking petrol again from the same breather pipe.  I then checked the plugs and all are sparking but 1 & 2 were very wet.
To see if there was a problem with the fuel pump I by-passed it so the carbs were just gravity fed and hey presto the bike runs a lot better in that it no longer starts to cut out after the 30 seconds or so but still pisses out petrol again from the same pipe!
Does anyone else recognise this fault or maybe able to offer any further suggestions as to what to do next as I'm getting just a bit tee'd off with it now!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Problems after a lay-up 2!
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2013, 06:14:42 pm »
Take the carbs off again and check the floats don't have anything obvious wrong... i.e bent, been reassembled wrong or floats leaking (if fuel's got in them they sink).
If they're OK it's most likely the needle valve with a problem: check the little rubber cone is clean and undamaged and the inside of the jet also.
Fuel can also leak around the brass body of the valve if the o-ring is damaged.

jock

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XS1100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2013, 06:25:15 pm »
Thanks for that.  I checked the screws on the float bowls before I started and they looked totally undamaged like they had never been off before.  Also none of the floats looked to be bent and there was definitely no fuel inside them and the tips of all the needles looked fine and smooth with no ridges or anything.  The only thing I cannot say about is the inside of the jet though they were all liberally sprayed with carb cleaner while I was in there.  I am starting to think though that the only cure might be a complete strip down of the carbs and getting them ultrasonically cleaned but was just checking if there was something obvious I have missed before I go down that road.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2013, 06:49:36 pm »
When I first got my bike one of the cylinders was jammed open on my home from a long trip, fuel poured out from the hose onto the road, under full acceleration it would bog down big time & then suddenly surge away as the high revs burnt the supply of fuel pouring out, well most of it anyway.

Mechanic took off the carbs & eventually found that a small casting mark, a tiny piece of metal had come off the mark & been sucked into the needle valve & taking up the exact shape.

My carbs were swapped over for another set so im not sure what the outcome of the dodgy set was.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

chromedome1975

• Cager in Training
  • jelly in your belly makes your feet go smelly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2013, 09:42:42 pm »
I've just got my bike back running after a 2 year lay up due to a back problem. Beleive me when i say the carb jets will be blocked. I had my carbs stripped and you couldn't even see daylight through some of the jets. The mechanic totally stripped and cleaned the carbs and balanced them. Trying to run the bike in that state also killed the spark plugs so a new set sorted that. The carbs were cleaned with good old carb cleaner and an air line and after all the work done it feels as good if not better than new. Good luck with yours :)
Pain is for the weak, it only makes you stronger ; )

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2013, 09:50:50 pm »
yes a complete strip and clean should do the trick ,if the carbs look clean i would`nt bother with ultrasonic cleaning,an air line would be helpfull  ;) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2013, 10:27:20 pm »
Tryin to sort his bike
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))