Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:07 pm

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2052 times)

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: 19 February 2021, 06:46:27 pm »
I'm 16 and got my 99 FZS 600 (gold) from my dad after it sat for 12 years. Just here looking for advice as I'd like to get it ready and restricted to be A2 compliant when I'm 19 (I'm 17 on the 21st of Feb) which is in 2 years. I'm doing mechanics at college so am quite proficient with tools and my knowledge for my age so don't worry about it. Have had the bike in pieces last summer getting it to run and this year hope to get it running perfectly so I can move on to other aspects. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 06:54:10 pm by Dillykebby »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2021, 09:05:19 pm »
Welcome to the group.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2021, 07:20:07 am »
Welcome. :)

A great future forum contributor in this young one I sense...
« Last Edit: 20 February 2021, 07:21:09 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2021, 01:00:15 pm »
Have had the bike in pieces last summer getting it to run and this year hope to get it running perfectly so I can move on to other aspects. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I assume you have a garage or shed to be able to work on the bike? And as you have had the bike in peices, did you touch up the frame with black smooth-right to start with, as a bike of that age will have rust spots all over. You could also while the engine is out give it a re-spray.

There are plenty of FZS600 owners on here will no dought be able to answer most if not all of of your questions but from my experience owning a 2001 600 here are my 2 cents -

Upgrade Headlight:

The headlight (boxeye) on this model is horrendously bad, its so small and its worse than some scooter headlight units. And the l/h reflector get heat damage from the stock halogen bulb. So you have several upgrade options -
  • Quick and dirty option is to wire in the r/h headlight so both bolbs are on - https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=181.0
  • Do the above mode and also replace stock halogen bulbs with HID or LED - you will need to be able to plug into the stock bulbs for the MOT.
  • Or do as did and do the Foxeye front fairing conversion (2003 FZS600), its pretty much a straight bolt on with only 2 little custom brackets needed. The upside of these is as well as a much better headlight, you get a better screen and better mirrors  - https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=5252.0
Replace stock headers:

The cheap steel used on the stock headers will rust before your eyes.I cant think of what other mods I did to my 600 right this minute, but he above 2 were the first major ones I did.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 04:20:02 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2021, 07:45:11 pm »

Upgrade Headlight

Yes I do have a shed. My headlights are already wired to be on at the same time but I will definitely be taking your suggestions on the headers as mine have seen better days. Can't say I did spray the engine or anything to the frame was more worried with getting it running at the time. Probably will have it in pieces again this year when it warms up for a couple bits that need tweaking timing chain for one and would like to check everything again like valves among other bits. Thanks for all the suggestions hope to have many more in the future and thanks for the warm welcome.

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2021, 07:47:23 pm »
Welcome. :)

A great future forum contributor in this young one I sense...

Thanks for the warm welcome and I will try not to disappoint.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2021, 04:38:25 pm »
Upgrade Headlight
Its a simple job, You will be able to re-use the clocks/instrument cluster. The hardest part is finding all the used parts online -
  • Front fairing
  • Front subframe - bolts to to the same mounting point on the main frame
  • Front Infill's - these will be very hard to find, its annoying that there are no 3rd party versions of these.
  • Side brackets
  • Headlight - loads of Foxeye headlight out there, same unit firs to the 600/1000 (I have 2x of them with some broken tabs)
  • Screen and mirrors.
So another thinking outside of the box solution is to projector headlight conversion, but I suggest getting this done on a spare/separate headlight unit and keep a set of halogen H1 bulbs for MOT purposes -
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 04:50:38 pm by b1k3rdude »

BevBilt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thundercat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2021, 02:52:13 am »
hey bro. i’m not 100% sure but i think the rules on A2 restrictions changed in the past year or two and you can only restrict a bike that comes with less than 94hp. like i said not entirely sure so it’s worth checking out to be safe
Gimme a Yammie & a Shoei and i’m happy 🏍

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2021, 08:41:41 am »
hey bro. i’m not 100% sure but i think the rules on A2 restrictions changed in the past year or two and you can only restrict a bike that comes with less than 94hp. like i said not entirely sure so it’s worth checking out to be safe
So had a look for this and as usual with UK law, the A2 guidelines are misleading and open to interpretation -
  • it dosent seem to state where the HP/BHP is measured, at the crank(95) or rear wheel(84). If you ignore HP/BHP figure the law is stated in KW so in this instance that 70KW and the FZS600 69.3KW - so under the bloody limit.
  • That and there is no legal requirement to have a certificate or documentation to say that the bike has been restricted. At the end of the day it down to the owner/rider to ensure the motorcycle is within the legal limits.
  • Also DFT approved restriction kits for the FZS600 have been around for years, the FZS600 is STILL listed as an A2 restricted bike on the UK Government's own webpage...!!! - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-motorcycles-that-can-be-used-for-riding-tests (I have attached the CSV from that page).
  • The kits are available from https://a2restrictors.com/ and for the A2 test the DVSA require that the kit be fitted by recognised motorcycle  mechanic. (so any bloody garage). And then laminate the receipt and keep it under the seat in case a idiot copper pulls you over.
So if the rider has fitted the kit and can get insurance then he/she are good to go.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 09:33:28 am by b1k3rdude »

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2021, 09:09:10 am »
So had a look for this and as usual with UK law, the A2 guidelines are misleading
They're all very confusing to me but the same with the r125 although it makes 1 HP more than what is allowed for the A1 license it's still allowed to be ridden. I was told by my CBT instructor that I could ride the FZS so and as the laws are so vague and change dependant on what website you look at I think I'm okay to ride it.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 09:18:43 am by Dillykebby »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2021, 09:17:30 am »
I wouldnt worry about it. At the end of the day, you don't really know, the DVLA won't know and the Police certainly wouldn't have a clue. Its only the insurance that would ever have something to say (should the need arise).
I'd say as long as you actually have it restricted with a legitimate restriction kit, have all the paperwork to say so, then you will be perfectly fine👍🏻

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2021, 09:21:01 am »
. Its only the insurance that would ever have something to say

That seems to be the issue when getting it insured as some insurers will put up a fight because they don't believe it's legal.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2021, 09:44:21 am »
  • The DVLA won't know and the Police certainly wouldn't have a clue.
  • Its only the insurance that would ever have something to say (should the need arise).
  • I'd say as long as you actually have it restricted with a legitimate restriction kit, have all the paperwork to say so, then you will be perfectly fine.
  • You don't have legal obligation to tell the DVLA anything, or the police. But for ease of life, keep a laminated copy of the fitment invoice under the seat for when your pulled over.
  • See my post below.
  • Correct, see my post above.
That seems to be the issue when getting it insured as some insurers will put up a fight because they don't believe it's legal.
Nope, all they will ask for at inception of the policy is a certificate of fitment.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 06:13:44 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2021, 09:49:16 am »
But I've also read that the certificate isn't a legal document and you legally don't have to supply it so I could do it myself and they just have to believe you
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 01:45:11 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2021, 01:48:43 pm »
But I've also read that the certificate isn't a legal document and you legally don't have to supply it so I could do it myself and they just have to believe you.
Yep, that were the 'open to interpenetration' comes in.You could create an official looking document and present that to the police on the aside of the road or the DVSA. Although the latter will ask to see proof your trained mechanic, so a letter from your college showing it was fitted correctly?

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2021, 05:02:37 pm »
so a letter from your college showing it was fitted correctly?
Yeah I could supply that once its done if thats all it is.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 06:14:29 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2021, 06:17:15 pm »
Grand, as you have a few years to go before you can ride the bike, it might be worth phoning some insurance companies (CarolNash, Bennets, Mce, BikeSure, etc) to see what they would except. You don't have to give them your name or details of the bike at this point, as you not getting insurance or a quote - you only want to know what their policy is etc.

BevBilt

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thundercat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2021, 10:50:28 am »
bro tbh as you got a couple of years before you can ride it anyway you don’t need to worry about it now cos it’s more than likely that they will change the rules again before you turn 19 😂
Gimme a Yammie & a Shoei and i’m happy 🏍

Dillykebby

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2021, 03:20:16 pm »
more than likely that they will change the rules again before you turn 19 😂

The laws are strict enough already don't ruin this for me 😂