Date: 01-05-24  Time: 21:23 pm

Author Topic: New bike no Exup  (Read 3429 times)

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New bike no Exup
« on: 08 September 2022, 09:22:36 pm »
Hi, first post after just getting my first Fazer 1000. Got it for a fairly good price but I've now found it has no Exup valve fitted.
I have the cables but no pulley, removed Exup plate from manifold and no valve fitted.
The bike is standard and goes OK but would like to have a working Exup system.
Is it worth trying to source the parts? Will I notice a difference? Do the spares I need come up second hand?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 08 September 2022, 09:25:52 pm by Zundap »

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: New bike no Exup
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2022, 09:41:33 pm »
How strange it was missing, there is a blanking chip you can get for them if you want to remove the exup so check that hasn't already been done by the previous owner. I don't know what it looks like or where it goes though.

When the servo packed up on my old gen1 it ran like shite up to about 6k. When I fixed it it was back to shit off a shovel, so yes I think there will be a significant difference if its not  chipped already.
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2022, 09:55:44 pm »
Not looked yet but I believe the Exup eliminator plugs into the servo just to prevent the 7k rpm fault code.
I get no fault but isnt the best below 6k

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2022, 08:57:27 am »
Fit a 4-degree ignition advance plate - gives you back the sub 6k grunt, without the cost of the EXUP parts.
My EXUP had seized completely, it was easier, quicker and cheaper to fit a complete Black Widow system, ignition advance etc and it has transformed the bike back into a bit of an animal............ :lol

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2022, 09:04:14 am »
Brilliant thanks
I'll search for that and have a read up.
Is there anything else I would need to do on fitting an ignition advancer?

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2022, 09:28:04 am »
Fit a 4-degree ignition advance plate - gives you back the sub 6k grunt, without the cost of the EXUP parts.
Gnasher/Whale/Falcon or someone will be along to correct me if wrong but I would be wary of advancing the ignition.

Either replace the missing valve with a used set of headers, or as I just learned get a exup valve of a set of 1998-2000 R1 headers (see post below)

« Last Edit: 10 September 2022, 10:41:13 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2022, 09:36:43 am »
And that good price cant possibly have made provision for a missing exup vale, contact the previous owner. Either they provide you with the missing exup valve or cover the cost of you having to fix the bike. They knowingly sold the bike to you with parts missing, what else is missing or broken on this bike..?

Obviosuly buying a new exup valve is pointless  - https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4189338/fzs1000s-fazer-1c2a-2005-070-a/exhaust
« Last Edit: 09 September 2022, 10:01:09 am by b1k3rdude »

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2022, 01:37:26 pm »
Brilliant thanks
I'll search for that and have a read up.
Is there anything else I would need to do on fitting an ignition advancer?

No, simply undo the r/h signal cover. Remove the old advance plate and fit the new one. Refit cover and enjoy. My advance plate was less than £15.00 from Ebay.

I did read a post on here ages ago, justifying the use of advancers. From memory, it's something to do with Yamaha retarding the ignition to be able to sell the bike in many countries around the world where fuel is not as good as quality as we have.
We have some pretty good quality fuel available in the UK. I've not noticed any negative issues with fitting the plate - only positive.

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2022, 03:11:58 pm »
Thank you
Had a read up and watched a YouTube video and all makes sense and looks fairly straightforward.
In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for any exup bits which come available 🤞

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2022, 03:20:44 pm »
And that good price cant possibly have made provision for a missing exup vale, contact the previous owner. Either they provide you with the missing exup valve or cover the cost of you having to fix the bike. They knowingly sold the bike to you with parts missing, what else is missing or broken on this bike..?

Obviosuly buying a new exup valve is pointless  - https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4189338/fzs1000s-fazer-1c2a-2005-070-a/exhaust

Yeah probably lack of knowledge on my behalf of the scarcity of these parts
I have contacted the 2 previous owners and neither claim to know anything about missing valve
The rest of the bike is in good condition and comes with a fair amount of service history.
To be honest I'm happy with what I have and how much I paid, obviously I'd like it to have a valve
I can't be doing with the aggro of chasing someone for a few hundred quid

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2022, 04:41:03 pm »
My five pennyworth. :)

Ignition advancers are worth fitting but, in my experience, won't come close to restoring what you've lost from not having a working EXUP.

There's no carb mod/tuning solution that will do it, either.

Black Widow headers are no different than the stock headers minus EXUP.  Your results/opinion may vary ... ;) :D

Take your time and scour ebay/breakers etc for the EXUP valve components.  Early model R1 valves are identical, so search for old R1 exhausts and scavenge what you need from one of them. 
« Last Edit: 09 September 2022, 04:42:34 pm by Falcon 269 »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2022, 04:55:35 pm »
Out of curiosity, just done a bit of online research.

Fowler's parts fiche shows same part number for EXUP shaft (the actual valve part) 4SV-14821-00 at an eye-watering £445!   But you already knew that ...

Same part number appears for late 90s FZR1000 Thunderace and the 98 - 01 model R1s, in addition to the Fazer 1000.

Try a Google search using the part number.  I found this today:  https://www.mpricambi.com/request-quote/  May be out of date but worth trying and this is the kind of thing that you'll come across if you're patient and keep looking.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2022, 05:04:13 pm by Falcon 269 »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2022, 09:50:38 pm »
  • Ignition advancers are worth fitting but, in my experience, won't come close to restoring what you've lost from not having a working EXUP.
  • There's no carb mod/tuning solution that will do it, either.
  • Early model R1 valves are identical, so search for old R1 exhausts and scavenge what you need from one of them. 
  • I knew there was some reason in the back of my mind for and agaisnt, thanks for clarifying. What would advancing the iginition by 4 degrees do to the fuel economy just out of curiosity?
  • And yes I did wonder about this also.
  • I did wonder if there was  older R1 parts that would fit,
so went a looking (https://tinyurl.com/57adna7d) and boom found some -
« Last Edit: 10 September 2022, 10:31:22 am by b1k3rdude »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2022, 11:50:31 pm »
What would advancing the iginition by 4 degrees do to the fuel economy just out of curiosity?

I've got a 4 degree advancer on my FZ6 and I can't say I've really noticed any change.

The reason the ignition is not usually advanced is that bikes have to be made to run on the crappy fuel that's used in some countries (often because it's been adulterated to save a few pennies). This means that it's best to retard the spark to give the best possible chances of a clean ignition.

UK fuel is good quality, so the spark can be advanced to give more power, but it's still burning the same amount of fuel, just at a slightly earlier point in the piston's travel.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2022, 09:55:32 am »
Advancing the ignition sharpens up the throttle response at lower rpm.  Can't say that it makes any discernible difference to fuel economy.

Many folks got better mpg with Ivan's kit fitted but I suspect this was because the improved throttle response and torque increase below 3-4k rpm encouraged earlier gear shifts and surfing the low-end in a higher gear.  Certainly, roll-off, roll-on performance was improved on mine.

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2022, 04:39:20 pm »
Thanks all for your info and ideas, appreciate you taking the time.
Made a bit of progress today....
Removed and tested the servo, it nulls itself on applying 12v to the plug. Good news!
Bit of a bugger getting it in and out but hopefully won't need to do that again.

There was no eliminator fitted, just normal loom plug.

I guess as long as servo sits at null, regardless if cables are not connected, then it won't throw up the 7k rpm code.
I did try ignition on with plug disconnected and did get 7k rpm code.

I think I've managed to source a working valve assy with pulley at a reasonable price just need to order it.

So hopefully in the next for weeks I may have a functional exup 🤞

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2022, 05:57:43 pm »
Good news, glad you've found a replacement valve. 

Plenty of advice available here if you need help fitting and setting it up.  Not difficult but a few get their knickers in a twist with it. :)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2022, 07:06:34 pm »
Advancing the ignition sharpens up the throttle response at lower rpm.  Can't say that it makes any discernible difference to fuel economy.

Many folks got better mpg with Ivan's kit fitted but I suspect this was because the improved throttle response and torque increase below 3-4k rpm encouraged earlier gear shifts and surfing the low-end in a higher gear.  Certainly, roll-off, roll-on performance was improved on mine.

This is definitely what I'm seeing with mine - makes it easier, quicker and smoother to ride (and a whole lot more fun  :D )

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2022, 06:05:29 am »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2022, 09:07:25 am »
So regarding your exup vale, the 2 things that EVERYONE will say on here regarding the valve and the cover are -

• replace all 6 exup cover bolts with Titainium, the mild steel ones in there rust and can snap-off in-place.
  • apply copper grease to ALL bearing serfaces of the cover & valve, every 3-6 months depending on use.
More info can be found  on the following linke -

« Last Edit: 11 September 2022, 09:11:53 am by b1k3rdude »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2022, 11:47:09 am »
Stainless steel bolts will do just as well ...

... unless you're after lightening your bike and your wallet! :D

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2022, 08:36:00 pm »
So my exup assy arrived today, all looks good and came apart with not too much grief.
The only bit missing is the little spring which sits behind the pulley.
It's £4 new from Fowlers so can get one of them.

I have now found that on my bike there is no bush fitted in the exhaust where the valve spindle sits, opposite end to pulley.
This is OK because I have a spare bush from the combination of exup bits.
Is it just a matter of cleaning up the bush housing and the bush and it will just slide in or is it gonna be a twat to get in?

Should I put the bush on the valve end and try and fit or fit the bush on its own first?

Anyone fitted one before?

Cheers

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2022, 09:03:37 pm »
There are 2 bushes -

- One inside the exhaust headers - as you should be putting copperease greese on the end of the valve shaft, the greese will hold the bush onto the end as you insert the valve inso the headers.
- one that sites in the valve end cover - once you clean up the cover the busg will slide in, again put copper greese on it etc.

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2022, 09:33:09 pm »
That sounds ok

So the bush should just slide into the headers, shouldn't be a tight fit as standard?

Bush slides into cover at pulley end no bother  :)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 September 2022, 06:06:16 am »
My five pennyworth. :)

Ignition advancers are worth fitting but, in my experience, won't come close to restoring what you've lost from not having a working EXUP.

There's no carb mod/tuning solution that will do it, either.

Black Widow headers are no different than the stock headers minus EXUP.  Your results/opinion may vary ... ;) :D

Take your time and scour ebay/breakers etc for the EXUP valve components.  Early model R1 valves are identical, so search for old R1 exhausts and scavenge what you need from one of them.

:agree

Yep, refit the EXUP, no brainer.  You can still fit a 4* advancer, which will smooth out the power delivery low and mid range, it's not huge but there, fuel consumption will improve slightly as will starting.

Yamaha an many others retard the ignition for the reason pointed out by Grahamm.

The reason the ignition is not usually advanced is that bikes have to be made to run on the crappy fuel that's used in some countries (often because it's been adulterated to save a few pennies). This means that it's best to retard the spark to give the best possible chances of a clean ignition.

UK fuel is good quality, so the spark can be advanced to give more power, but it's still burning the same amount of fuel, just at a slightly earlier point in the piston's travel.

Later