Date: 06-05-24  Time: 11:26 am

Author Topic: M.O.T advisory  (Read 6563 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
M.O.T advisory
« on: 13 April 2012, 09:03:43 pm »
got the thou MOT'd today as it ran out 2 weeks ago and i'd forgot :o

It passed, but under advisory information they put;

"0001 rear brake disc slightly worn (3.2.A11)

002 Rear roller test indicates slight brake fluctuation of brake effort [3.3.Ald]"

the bike is an 04 with 30K on the clock. Ive always thought the back brake wasnt brillant, tiny tiny bit better after i'd put on braided lines. I keep my calipers/pistons clean and rubber greased and to be honest i've always thought it wasnt brillant but new pads would help.

any way anyone else had this or any advice on what to do next.

cheers

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: M.O.T advisory
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2012, 10:09:45 pm »
Have you spoken with the tester to see if they have any ideas on the most likely cause? That would be my first port of call.
With the disk showing signs of wear it could be that at some point the brake has bound causing excessive friction and heat warping the disk !?! 

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2012, 05:57:13 am »
There is a slight warp in the disc but not excessive.

Leave it until it becomes a MOT fail then replace the disc AND fit new pads with the new disc.

EBC is a decent choice.

Ride more, worry less.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2012, 07:26:45 am »

i wouldn't mess about with brakes, in my world brakes and tyres need to be very healthy before i'll use a vehicle, especially a bike that i might use with 'enthusiasm'.

if the disk is worn i would replace it, pads too. if it still doesn't feel that good then i'd renew the fluid, if that doesn't do it i'd renew the caliper seals, if that doesn't do it i'd renovate the master cylinder. if it's still not that good i'd give up and use my boot bmx style.

rear disks seem to be a lot less money than fronts which is a bonus, and there's only one to buy!
is it clean enough?

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2012, 08:00:03 am »

i wouldn't mess about with brakes, in my world brakes and tyres need to be very healthy before i'll use a vehicle, especially a bike that i might use with 'enthusiasm'.

if the disk is worn i would replace it, pads too. if it still doesn't feel that good then i'd renew the fluid, if that doesn't do it i'd renew the caliper seals, if that doesn't do it i'd renovate the master cylinder. if it's still not that good i'd give up and use my boot bmx style.

rear disks seem to be a lot less money than fronts which is a bonus, and there's only one to buy!

Agree with what you're saying but I wouldn't be massively worried about a slightly warped rear as it's hardly used anyway....front discs a different situation of course.

If it's hugely warped and causing the brake pedal to move oscillate under braking then obviously it needs changing but I doubt it's that bad.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2012, 08:01:10 am »
it is the back brake though ...it does not need to be super strong !...either its very weak or this tester has maybe not seen the wood for the trees.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2012, 04:01:17 pm »
How much use does it get? Its only an advisory and the tester is obliged to tell you when it exceeds a specified limit. Lat year I got an advisory for my chain and the tester said it was probably good for another year, but I changed it anyway. But I use the C&S every time I ride.

I have to make a conscious effort to use the rear brake the week before my MOT - just to clear the rust  :eek
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2012, 09:51:55 pm »

what!!!!!!!!

back brakes are excellent! they steady the bike when trailed into corners, they decrease stopping distance considerably when used in conjunction with the front brakes and are an absolutely invaluable aid to wheelie and slow manoeuvre control.

if you don't have a good back brake and don't use it then there's a big old gap in your riding..... and i'm not that good a rider!
is it clean enough?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2012, 09:59:05 pm »
100 percent agree with Bludclot esp in the rain like it was today when I went out for a run to clear the cobwebs

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2012, 10:13:02 pm »
what!!!!!!!!

back brakes are excellent! they steady the bike when trailed into corners, they decrease stopping distance considerably when used in conjunction with the front brakes and are an absolutely invaluable aid to wheelie and slow manoeuvre control.

if you don't have a good back brake and don't use it then there's a big old gap in your riding..... and i'm not that good a rider!

yep..totally agree. i use mine loads...maybe thats why its worn out? :rolleyes   dont look worn tho, must have a slight warp then?

more money to be spent....boody hell.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2012, 10:27:28 pm »
Personally, I would spend the money and get the use out of it. With regard to not using the back brake, try coming to a stop, using the front brake, with the steering on lock, you'll wish you hadn't as you beloved bike will be laying on the ground! Don't ask me how I know!

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2012, 09:31:26 am »
I refer the gentleman to my earlier reply.

The fact it is an advisory says it all - it is NOT dangerous, just showing signs of wear/warping.

If everyone bought new parts for every MoT advisory we give at our shop then we would we be minted!

On the subject of back brake use, when I sold my 1000 with 102,000 miles on it the ORIGINAL rear pads were about half worn....

And I do get a bit of a shift on.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2012, 01:27:31 pm »
Heh heh. Sparked a bit of a storm there  :rollin .
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
Bludclot makes a good point (again).

I had a slight warp on the disk, caused one pad to wear much faster then the other. Fixed with a second hand disk (and new OEM bolts) and new pads.