Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:06 am

Author Topic: I am Fazer, hear me roar.  (Read 1909 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
I am Fazer, hear me roar.
« on: 14 October 2018, 04:00:06 pm »
... well, eventually. ;)
Hi all,
It's been a while since I've posted and - confession time - even longer since I've ridden the Fazer.  Well, ridden anything apart from a golf buggy and an electric bike, to be honest. :)
 As some may recall, the Soup Dragon and I have been touring Europe for a large part of the year in our motorhome and when we've been home in Spain during the summer months, it's been just too hot to ride.  As a result, the mighty Thou has stood silent for months both this year and last. :( 

Having had to deal with blocked pilot jets after last year's lengthy lay-up, I thought this year I'd preempt that issue by draining the carbs instead.  Mistake.  It might be fine on a newer bike but on an older one like mine, leaving the carbs empty for 6 months caused the float needle seat O-rings and one float bowl gasket to completely dry out.  The motor started fine but within minutes fuel was leaking from all over the place under the carbs.  Luckily I had spare parts to hand but on balance, it would have been easier to simply clean blocked pilot jets than fix the leaks.  Lesson learned for next year.
Typically, the moment the mighty Thou fired up leak-free and ready to roll, the heavens opened and stopped play for the day. 

Oh, well ... after 6 months, I suppose another day or two won't make that much difference. :)

Cheers, all!
Mike
PS.  I have been visiting the forum regularly but hate 'typing' on a tablet, which is why I haven't posted much while we've been travelling.  I'm lurking, though ... ;)

« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 04:00:53 pm by Falcon 269 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: I am Fazer, hear me roar.
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2018, 05:00:38 pm »
good to hear from you Mike.  :) don't think you've missed much mate …. ;)

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2018, 05:47:58 pm »
No, but we've missed him  :D
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2018, 06:05:47 pm »
Try using a additive which keeps the fuel fresh, these fuel stabilisers seem to work well. I use them in my fuel in the Lodola and the GSXR

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2018, 08:47:58 pm »
Yes, good suggestion, mate ... fuel additives going in next time for sure. :)

I guess like all forums for older bikes, they quieter as they mature.  Still nice to know that all the old reliables are checking in, though. :)

Never really gone, just gone quite LOL! :)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2018, 11:47:31 pm »
yeah the fuel additive deffo works, I use the silkolene stuff for the Harley now that's tucked away until spring.. :D

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2018, 07:46:45 am »
Thanks, Paul - will get some next time I plan on laying the bike up for a while. :)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2018, 08:01:30 am »
That is good information, Mike. I have been guilty of draining the carbs after putting fuel stabiliser in the tank of my Gen 1 for the past 5 years.A little knowledge, ( on my part ! ), is a dangerous thing ! I thought that I was doing the right thing but I shall not drain the carbs this year, only brim the tank with stabiliser added. Enjoy your riding. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 08:10:24 am by Anquetil »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2018, 10:11:41 am »
Can someone post a link to the recommended fuel additive(s) as there are lots of offerings from the different manufacturers - thanks.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2018, 10:47:58 am »
Posting a link is a bit too technical for me, but Sea Foam is tried and tested and works. Used a lot in winterizing boat engines, jetskis etc.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2018, 10:47:58 am »
This is what I use. Bought from Halfords. £15
« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 10:49:46 am by Anquetil »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2018, 12:57:55 pm »
Whatever fuel stabiliser you decide on, ensure the fuel tank is topped right up to the brim with Fuel as this stops condensation forming in the space above the fuel level line, which in turn causes rusting in a metal fuel tank, start the bike and allow it to run for a short while (few minutes)  after adding the stabiliser, ensures stabilised fuel is right around the system.

A friend runs a landscape business, he has equipment that stands for about 5 months per year unused, Mowers, Strimers, Hedge cutters etc, he uses a fuel additive by Briggs and Stratton
Dan's advise is do not drain the fuel tanks but add stabiliser and run for a minute or two, also if the machine has a fuel cock/tap leave it open, fuel can evaporate and leave the carb empty (with the fuel cock shut) causing gasket, O-ring and carbdiaphragm failure and also dried fuel deposits in the bowl and capillaries.

With Dan's advice in mind I also use Sta-bil and thus far have had no issues with my carbs after the winter stand down.

There is another additive that I have used since reading 'Darrsi's' recommendation on here and that is 'Marvel Mystery Oil' I use it every other fill up, as I never run my tank much passed 1/4 full, so here is always Marvel in the fuel.

Now some have said its all 'Snake Oil' and does nothing, apart from making your wallet a little lighter, but I really believe my FZS600 is more responsive and it certainly starts first stab of the button, if that is all in my mind then so be it, but it certainly acts as a Upper Cylinder Lubricant (UCL) and helps make up for the lack of lead in modern fuels.
The Marvel bottle says you can also add it to your engine oil as an enhancement,  :eek  I personally would not recommend this as it could play havoc with a wet clutch system.

The other additive that I use is a fuel system cleaner STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner, I put 100ml of it in a full tank every 10 or 12 weeks
(twice a riding season) again does it help ? Don't know for sure, but I have had the Fazer FZS600 for 6 years and have never touched the carbs, I bought a balancing gauge set as I was told that it was an essential, it has been out of the box once just to see what it looks like. :lol 

EDIT:
I just looked at the photos again, I do not recommend Jack Daniels if you are having anything to do with the bike in the next 8 hours or so.   

« Last Edit: 15 October 2018, 01:04:14 pm by tommyardin »

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
Whatever fuel stabiliser you decide on, ensure the fuel tank is topped right up to the brim with Fuel as this stops condensation forming in the space above the fuel level line, which in turn causes rusting in a metal fuel tank, start the bike and allow it to run for a short while (few minutes)  after adding the stabiliser, ensures stabilised fuel is right around the system.

A friend runs a landscape business, he has equipment that stands for about 5 months per year unused, Mowers, Strimers, Hedge cutters etc, he uses a fuel additive by Briggs and Stratton
Dan's advise is do not drain the fuel tanks but add stabiliser and run for a minute or two, also if the machine has a fuel cock/tap leave it open, fuel can evaporate and leave the carb empty (with the fuel cock shut) causing gasket, O-ring and carbdiaphragm failure and also dried fuel deposits in the bowl and capillaries.

With Dan's advice in mind I also use Sta-bil and thus far have had no issues with my carbs after the winter stand down.

There is another additive that I have used since reading 'Darrsi's' recommendation on here and that is 'Marvel Mystery Oil' I use it every other fill up, as I never run my tank much passed 1/4 full, so here is always Marvel in the fuel.

Now some have said its all 'Snake Oil' and does nothing, apart from making your wallet a little lighter, but I really believe my FZS600 is more responsive and it certainly starts first stab of the button, if that is all in my mind then so be it, but it certainly acts as a Upper Cylinder Lubricant (UCL) and helps make up for the lack of lead in modern fuels.
The Marvel bottle says you can also add it to your engine oil as an enhancement,  :eek  I personally would not recommend this as it could play havoc with a wet clutch system.

The other additive that I use is a fuel system cleaner STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner, I put 100ml of it in a full tank every 10 or 12 weeks
(twice a riding season) again does it help ? Don't know for sure, but I have had the Fazer FZS600 for 6 years and have never touched the carbs, I bought a balancing gauge set as I was told that it was an essential, it has been out of the box once just to see what it looks like. :lol 

EDIT:
I just looked at the photos again, I do not recommend Jack Daniels if you are having anything to do with the bike in the next 8 hours or so.   

How much do you use for each? I have used Silkolene stabiliser this year and it says the bottle treats 50 litres, so i have went with around half for say 20 litre full tank.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 December 2018, 05:46:12 pm »
This will probably come back to haunt me, Plus 1 for fuel stabilisers, 17 years of use & no carb leaking.  Dreading taking the carbs off😩

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 December 2018, 05:58:58 pm »
Another vote for using a fuel stabiliser. Have used Sea Foam for the last two years, as recommended by Flooky of this parish. Use approx 6 fluid ozs to a tankful.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2018, 11:59:47 pm »
I would imagine fuel stabilisers are all much the same in effectivness, just follow what is says on the container as far as dosage is concerned. But I pretty sure it would not make any difference even if you doubled the amount recommended as it is such a small amount in 20 ltrs of petrol, it ain’t going to stop it going bang when that plug sparks.