Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:37 pm

Author Topic: EU-Hands-Off-Biking-A-Motorcycle-Action-Group demo yorkshire and Humberside  (Read 4549 times)

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Sunday, 24 June 2012
    • 13:00
  • http://goo.gl/maps/OAHT
  • Start Point : Wetherby Services A1(M)
     Ride: Southbound , onto M1
     Finish Point: Woolley Edge Services M1
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
any one going on this ? a group are setting off from bradford halfords at 10.am ish

Sunday June 24th 2012 should be a date for your diary.
The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) are organising another day of action, similar to the one we held last September when over 40,000 riders took to the streets to highlight a raft of new legislation coming from Europe.

Things have moved on since then and the campaigning work has been frantic, limiting some of the worst legislative excesses and spreading awareness among Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) as well as the bike press. This time we have the support especially of Motorcycle Monthly and of BIKE magazine.

June 24th aims to concentrate the action this time, with one large demo in each of the 12 regions of the country represented by MEPs.

SO WHAT’S THE PROBLEM?

It’s never easy to explain detailed legislation in just a few words but in essence:

The EU Type Approval and Market Surveillance Regulation is consolidating loads of pre-existing Euro legislation, while at the same time extending its reach and placing more control in the hands of bureaucrats.

• It aims to stop owners and bike shops carrying      out modifications to motorcycle power-trains, from the airbox down to and      including the radius of the rear tyre.
  • It aims to prohibit the fitting of any engine      re-mapping device
  • It admits that there is no evidence to say there      is a problem caused by modifications, or what size that problem may be.
  • It aims to make ABS compulsory on every machine      from 50cc up, adding hugely to the purchase price of cheap commuters,      which is against the wishes of manufacturers too, who believe combined      braking is often better suited
  • It aims to limit the availability of aftermarket      parts that may alter performance
  • The technical substance of exactly what is      included will be written after the legislation has become law!
  • The European Ombudsman has found the Commission      has a case to answer that the legislation has been drafted in breach of      European Treaties (evidence must exist to justify a new law)
  • Other procedures seem to be at odds with      democratic accountability

WHY DEMONSTRATE?

• Campaigning has many forms, and a good campaign      works behind the scenes with politicians and civil servants and involves a      lot of meetings and letter writing, but also occasionally requires a      visual demonstration of the strength of feeling that exists about the issue.
  • Talking and letter writing continues, but      keeping the subject in the public eye is essential with an important EU Parliamentary vote on the subject timetabled for 3rd July      (though this may be postponed as we continue to pressure politicians)
  • Not all the MEPs are engaging as they aren’t yet      convinced bikers matter, this day of action may show them just how many      voters are concerned.
  • A united day of action will show that the motorcycle industry and the concerns of riders should be taken seriously by politicians
  • The public needs to see that someone is prepared      to stand against unnecessary EU meddling

WHERE AND HOW TO GET INVOLVED

• 24th June 2012 will involve 12 major      demonstrations, to coincide with the 12 EU Parliamentary Constituencies      that exist in the UK
  • Action will take place on main routes, mostly on      Motorways
  • Start time will be 13.00 hours
  • The idea is to create a spectacle and let people      see us, so blocking the roads will be self-defeating. Instead we’ll leave      the outside lane free, which is also important for emergency services
  • Rides will be various lengths but probably      average about 40 miles and last an hour
  • Some areas, like the South East, will have      smaller meeting points in the morning, so that riders can gather and make      their way to the main start point

START AND FINISH POINTS

• There are great logistics involved when so many      bikes gather, some of the start and finish points haven’t been finalised      and some of the runs may just involve riders dispersing.
  • Different parts of the country have different      opportunities, so in the West Midlands for example, there will be 3 start      points but 1 central finish point, but in the South West there’ll be 1      start point but 2 finish points.
  • To keep up to date, see www.mag-uk.org or visit Facebook EU      Hands off Biking – A MAG Campaign. Detail of every run will be provided by      MAG and details of all the early morning feeder runs will also be listed      on Facebook.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Maybe, if I can convice the lady to get on the back
thou shalt not kick

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
Bugger why is it every event lands on my daughter's weekend :'(

sausageroll

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I'm going on this one but already agreed to ride over to Lawnswood Arms in Leeds to meet some bikers and go on to Wetherby services from there. They're meeting at 11 ish to leave for Wetherby 11.30. Do you fancy swinging past there for us all to ride over?

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
thanks I will let you know

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
We won't be leavin until the same time so we'll meet you at the services :lol

sausageroll

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Ok mate. I.ll be on a blue y reg fazer 600 with a YBF sticker on the screen . If you can pick it out say hello

Pepy27

• FOC-U Profile Police
    Closet FZ6 Fancier
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Vespa 250GTV & Honda Deauv
    • View Profile
Anyone going to be at Brampton Hut Services on the A14/A1 junction?

I will be there on my XJR as long as it isn't pissing down ( I'm no matyr)  :lol
"Poofy" GTV250 Vespa 2007 & Honda Deauville 2008
RIP  Legend.  Marchride Aka Tim
« Reply #27 on: Today at 12:27:46 PM »

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ok mate. I.ll be on a blue y reg fazer 600 with a YBF sticker on the screen . If you can pick it out say hello

:o did look for ya but must of mist you .

it was a brill day

MAG National Motorway Demo Ride 2012

sausageroll

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Agree it was a great day. Not much chance of spotting someone you don't know. I struggled to find the ones I went up with once we got there :lol