Date: 30-04-24  Time: 15:35 pm

Author Topic: CBT info  (Read 1383 times)

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
CBT info
« on: 25 October 2014, 05:18:05 pm »
Hi, anyone know if there's a maximum number of pupils per instructor for a CBT road ride, a mate of mine went for his today and at lunch time the ignition key for his scooter he was riding disappeared (which he left in his glove in the unit). They said they didn't have a spare key for it and he couldn't ride the other scooter because he wasn't used to it ??? so they've told him to come back Thursday and bring extra money to pay for a new lock set for the scooter.

He's wondering if he's been stitched up as there were five pupils and only two instructors. 

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: CBT info
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2014, 05:48:47 pm »
Im pretty sure the legal standpoint was 4 students per instructor (for the on-site theory portion) and then dropping to 2 students for the on-road part.

I cant find any official sources to back that up though  :(  EDIT, found it :D

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-approved-training-body-atb-manual

About half way down. Trainee:instructor ratios :thumbup
« Last Edit: 25 October 2014, 05:55:36 pm by mickvp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2014, 06:13:33 pm »
Thanks guys ..

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2014, 11:02:44 am »
Sound like your mates been stitched up a bit. Certainly when I was instructing, for Element E (on road part) the ratio was two trainees to one instructor. But did your mate miss other Elements  (B or C) because he couldn't find his key? Sounds like it was found later in his glove before the road ride.

The instructors should have told the trainees BEFORE the CBT had started that they didn't have enough instructors for the road ride and negotiated for one of them (probably the less competent one after other Elements A, B, C, D had been done) that they would have to come back on a separate day to complete Element E ... This is regardless of whether the key was lost then found or otherwise.

Sound like they wangled out of that because your mate mislaid his key. As far as I'm aware most training schools offer a second day free of charge if further training is needed. In my case I was always paid for this day but I know some schools don't pay instructors for this. Could be another factor to take into account.

We also had to file paperwork for rental and insurance to match bikes up with trainees. But we could change bikes around or switch to other bikes if there was a problem with the bike provided the paperwork was done. But you can't have two trainees riding the same bike on the same course.

We always used to keep spare keys on site for our bikes. If you book a course I'm pretty certain that they [The Training Centre] must provide the equipment and enough instructors for you to do the course. If a bike breaks down they should have a back-up. If a key gets lost and they have no spare key they should provide another bike and got you mate to pay the excess on the insurance and got another key cut.

For them to turn around and say that your mate wasn't used to the other bike IMO is not a valid argument. A bike is a bike. The clutch, brakes throttle and gear change are all in the same place, it has two wheels and a 125cc engine. You are there to learn how to ride them. Scooters don't vary much in there control layout either... twist and go.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2014, 11:08:45 am by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad