Date: 30-04-24  Time: 12:03 pm

Author Topic: Early Fazers with detuned ex thunder cat engine: techinical question  (Read 2221 times)

twosheds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2xXJ600
    • View Profile
I have read that the first Fazers had a mechanical weakness insofar as the front sprocket retaining nut can come loose potentially wrecking the output shaft

yamaha released a deeper nut with more thread as an update but the thread on the output shaft remained unchanged , huge bill to change tha shaft apparently

was this defect put right on the 2002 model with the bigger fuel tank does anybody know please?

Would be most grateful to find out before buying.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 03:53:10 pm by twosheds »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
No it was never put right and the problem is with many Yamahas not just the fazers, mostly the 600, but a few larger machines are also affected.
All 600 Fazers, Thundercat, R6, TDM and a few more. It is caused by the shaft diameter being slightly to small for the nut and it causes the threads in the nut to wear away. Yamaha upgraded the nut to a thicker one and it appears to sovle the issues if the shaft threads have not been damaged. Mine were brcause the sprocket came off the splines on to the threads and slightly flattened the threads exacerbating the problem.
I had the problem for years but found a way around it after the shaft been destroyed and with just 2 flattened  threads left on it.
See this download, http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=43 .
I don't know if anybody else has tried it but it has worked for me and is still secure after 4900 miles.
Don't let it put you off a great all round bike.

« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 04:36:49 pm by unfazed »

twosheds

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2xXJ600
    • View Profile
thanks unfazed that is exaxtly what I wanted to know, much appreciated

I have zero technical ability myself and greatly admire your perseverance

unfortunately it does rather put me off buying a fazer second hand.

I'll just stick to my XJ600 Diversion - thanks again, really  :)
« Last Edit: 22 June 2013, 05:46:54 pm by twosheds »

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
I have had 2 fazer 600's my inlaw still has one neither have had this trouble great bike don't be put of