Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:47 pm

Author Topic: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?  (Read 38332 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« on: 30 June 2013, 12:46:22 pm »
I think a forum rules sticky would be a nice suggestion.

I don't find sexism, racism, profanity or trolling funny (others too, but the list of my intolerance could get long).  It makes it worse when it's written off as sarcasm or a joke and everyone says 'ha ha'.  It's not funny it's offensive to me and (hopefully) others.

If you want the forum to have a broader audience then perhaps less swearing too.  Sure you can have it in an adult only banter area if you want, but I'd like to think most people can have fun without being crude and base.

Yeah I'm going to be mocked, but tbh I really don't really care.  Most mature and popular Forums have forum rules and that's my justification for this post.

examples:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/announcement.php?a=81
http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/4715856.stm
I could do a VERY long list

Let the flaming begin.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2013, 12:50:42 pm »
+1  :thumbup
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2013, 12:58:09 pm »
Foccin load of crappy shit fuk bollox hahahaha
U white hetro father of 1. Did bigpinkbear upset u?
« Last Edit: 30 June 2013, 01:05:12 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2013, 01:01:19 pm »
I agree Simon, if I wanted to get insulted and have profanities thrown my way, I'd go to work!::)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2013, 01:02:57 pm »
Oh you poor wee sensitive soul, if you don't like some of the views or comments on here then you can always fuck off and join a forum that suits you. This is an open forum that's been about for years with hundreds of members spouting some excellent inane drivel.....it's obviously not for you.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
Oh you poor wee sensitive soul, if you don't like some of the views or comments on here then you can always fuck off and join a forum that suits you. This is an open forum that's been about for years with hundreds of members spouting some excellent inane drivel.....it's obviously not for you.

I think that's exactly what he's on about and to be honest I don't think much of your reply either.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2013, 01:09:35 pm »
Foccin load of crappy shit fuk bollox hahahaha
U white hetro father of 1. Did bigpinkbear upset u?

Bigpinkbear....how very dare you......I'm away for a wee cry you big bully

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2013, 01:13:07 pm »

I think that's exactly what he's on about and to be honest I don't think much of your reply either.

You on your period fannybaws

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2013, 01:21:57 pm »
I don't find sexism, racism, profanity or trolling funny (others too, but the list of my intolerance could get long). 

Right Sir, about time someone suggested getting bloody blacks off the forum and bitches back to the kitchen!

I believe this forum is just fine. Not too much flaming, trolling. Loads of good advice. Wouln't fix it if it's not broken.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2013, 01:33:49 pm »

I believe this forum is just fine. Not too much flaming, trolling. Loads of good advice. Wouln't fix it if it's not broken.

Who is to say if it's broken or not ?  I only made a suggestion.  Do you believe that the radio, TV and newspapers and society in general would be better if they had redundant and frequent use of profanity, racism and sexism ?

Not in my opinion.  This is the 21st century, we should be moving forward and understanding that racism and sexism is not okay.  Everyone in the world can give good advice without the use of offensive terms.

Sarcasm does not translate well in text, with no body language to express the sarcasm it causes offence.  In effect it becomes a lads and brawlers forum only.  Those relics who speak the loudest, swear the most and cause offence are held up as being the alpha males.  It's immature.

you can always fuck off and join a forum that suits you.

Maybe you're right.  This kind of language isn't for me.

excellent inane drivel.....

You can have excellent inane drivel without causing offence.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2013, 01:35:40 pm »
A forum for bikers and he doesn't like swearing..... For fucks sake it works both ways as we have to listen to the 'do gooders' the 'politically correct' 'pinkie in the air tea cup drinkers' riding in with white armoured boring as fuck shite......bet you all dress like 70 year old grannies

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
Do you believe that the radio, TV and newspapers and society in general would be better if they had redundant and frequent use of profanity, racism and sexism ?

Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
A forum for bikers and he doesn't like swearing..... For fucks sake it works both ways as we have to listen to the 'do gooders' the 'politically correct' 'pinkie in the air tea cup drinkers' riding in with white armoured boring as fuck shite......bet you all dress like 70 year old grannies

Ah I see.  This forum has to be kept as a shrine to pub fuelled snooker table populated, cigarette smoking male testosterone ?

Yes I always go out in textiles or leathers, with gloves and a helmet.  I wouldn't be any good to my kids if I was dead or maimed simply because I wasn't wearing protective gear.  I take calculated risk.  I think you may, possibly, find that the majority of the population is like that.

You keep saying "we have to listen".  Why do you always assume you're in the majority and everyone agrees with you ?  I suggest the sentence would be much more honest if phrased in a 100% accurate manner, such as  "For fucks sake it works both ways as I have to listen to the 'do gooders' the 'politically correct' 'pinkie in the air tea cup drinkers' riding in with white armoured boring as fuck shite".  It's your issue with political correctness, not society
« Last Edit: 30 June 2013, 02:03:53 pm by simonm »

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2013, 02:06:46 pm »
You're  a one man fucking freak show that needs to lighten the fuck up

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2013, 02:48:45 pm »
Blimey bbb you're not doing your cause any favours!

This has come up every now and then over the years and I've been on both sides of the argument, but at the moment I am against this sort of censorship. First because of the difficulty of deciding what is racist or sexist and what is frank discussion and the arguments it would create. Second because it will upset as many people as will agree with it. But third and most importantly in my mind is that it is better for these opinions to be aired and then shot down by the likes of you.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 June 2013, 03:30:06 pm »
I dont think it's required, we're all adults here,the last time i checked there werent any kids riding around on fazers.if you go to a pub you expect to hear a bit of swearing, you expect to not get on with some people,it's the same here.The site is an excellent laugh & full of useful info & so what if someone gets a bit offensive because the same guy the next day will no doubt help you out with something & thats the main reason i see folk on here.

Facebook for example-i love being offensive on it & ive deleted anyone thats ever taken offense at stuff i say even though instead of whinging they could have deleted themselves.in person im a completely different person,very polite & courteous to everyone.The internet is an escape,a place to unwind & have fun & as soon as it starts getting clinical i'll be offsky.

Not sure about this trolling stuff,sounds a bit internet tecchy,ive looked it up but it seems to be something about nothing,someone looking for a reaction or something,simonm i noticed you used it after one of my recent posts where i was trying to have a laugh & i was thinking what have i done,have i offended someone here,but then you used the wink sign so probably just being sarcastic but i dont know,the thing is it's too easy to look into writing too much & misinterpret people

Ok fair one there probably is a line to draw & when crossed everyone seems to self regulate the site easily enough but it's easy to calm a situation down but even easier to inflame it further so it's our own fault if we keep something going.

Anyway the site is great, & it's free & lets keep it that way by not overloading admins with too many tasks & if it aint broke dont fix it. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 June 2013, 03:31:52 pm »
Its the UK!! We still have the right to free speech ( just)
I have never seen anything on this site that is deliberately offensive?
I will call a spade a spade! But I'm not racist sexist or any other ist.
But I am allowed to speak my opinion in anyway I see fit........
So if you don't like it fuck off n dont read it :rolleyes

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 June 2013, 03:38:07 pm »
Blimey bbb you're not doing your cause any favours!

This has come up every now and then over the years and I've been on both sides of the argument, but at the moment I am against this sort of censorship. First because of the difficulty of deciding what is racist or sexist and what is frank discussion and the arguments it would create. Second because it will upset as many people as will agree with it. But third and most importantly in my mind is that it is better for these opinions to be aired and then shot down by the likes of you.

TBH I knew this was going to be your answer.  When you said about not having sticky posts in the other suggestions I knew it was a lost cause.  Too much of an effort for the admin and too much looking like the bad guy (light touch=no touch).

IMO this isn't censorship, it's being polite (sexism and swearing are pretty clear in my mind).  With regard to racism I think if it doubt, throw it out.  It doesn't matter about the posters ethnic origin either if it refers to people by their colour/race in a derogatory/insulting manner bin it.

As an aside I don't think you can easily accuse most forums of censorship either, moneysavingexpert, Ubuntu, whoever are not interested in censoring what people are trying to say unless it's upsetting, degrading or provocative.  It's just laziness to use that excuse.

I also really don't understand "these opinions to be aired and then shot down by the likes of you".  Nothing has been shot down, nothing has been clarified, no progress has been made (no touch).

You can have conversations on many topics without sexism/racism/swearing coming in to it at all.  mechanics, motor bikes, racing, none of those topics is offensive until people make it so.

Thanks for at least commenting even if it was pointless.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 June 2013, 03:46:31 pm »
btw, the internet isn't an escape.  It's not fictional, it's reality.  It's just another way to have a conversation.

Yes you're entitled to swear, and don't be surprised when your sons and daughters do too.  When you hear women/men swearing at toddlers just understand you're saying it's fine to swear at any time, in any place and any situation.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 June 2013, 03:59:36 pm »
Me & my dad swear all the time, & have fun with it,stick us in a posh resteraunt though & theres no elbows on tables & no swearing, it's about doing what you want within reason & at suitable times.thats why we have friends from lots of different ilks & can adapt our behaviour to each.i was brought up to respect people & always be courteous & that's how i continue.theres no swearing at toddlers on here & lets be honest most people swear,friends,workmates,folk on here, it's completely natural to express ourselves & swearings a well established part of that.

Theres no doubt theres an element of truth in what you say simon but you must take a step back & realise how many arguments you get involved in on this site,your always at it so who's really at fault here the rest of the world, or you!.You come across as being a bit of a preacher, ramming ideology down our throats & i find that offensive so does that mean you should be banned?.

Way i see it, it's up to the older members to speak up if they think things arent as they should be,who are we to come in & start changing everything,all these other websites you mention are plain rubbish,boring & uninvolving & thats not what foc-u is about.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 June 2013, 04:31:34 pm »
IMO this isn't censorship, it's being polite (sexism and swearing are pretty clear in my mind).  With regard to racism I think if it doubt, throw it out.  It doesn't matter about the posters ethnic origin either if it refers to people by their colour/race in a derogatory/insulting manner bin it.
Exactly. I belong(ed) to a Triumph forum and it's awful. Badly moderated, full of trolls and every post degenerates into a slanging match. Virtually nothing about bikes or riding.
Let's keep this form friendly (it is) where people have respect for each other and their views

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 June 2013, 04:35:42 pm »
Funnily enough it was my elder that hit me top side of the head when I swore.  Now everyone is swearing and no one does anything about it because they're too afraid to speak up because of yobs and people not wanting to be seen as preaching.

You call me a preacher, I think it's more about being courteous and polite in the same way that my parents taught me to be.  Different points of view, but yours is more relevant.

I'm not interested in being where I'm not wanted so I'm outta here.  This isn't the place for me, you were right.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2013, 04:40:34 pm »

Theres no doubt theres an element of truth in what you say simon but you must take a step back & realise how many arguments you get involved in on this site,your always at it so who's really at fault here the rest of the world, or you!.You come across as being a bit of a preacher, ramming ideology down our throats & i find that offensive so does that mean you should be banned?.

Sorry to say it si..but what noggy said is true. U r involved in most of the spats on here. Remember that its NOT UR SITE. I like u mate. We met and spoke on fone and had some pm's. no-one doubts you integrity or compassion for all things fazerish but if u rode your bike more and posted less u might not fall off the fukin thing so much.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 June 2013, 04:41:23 pm »
U cunt.    Hahaha LMAO

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 June 2013, 04:45:31 pm »

Sorry to say it si..but what noggy said is true. U r involved in most of the spats on here. Remember that its NOT UR SITE. I like u mate. We met and spoke on fone and had some pm's. no-one doubts you integrity or compassion for all things fazerish but if u rode your bike more and posted less u might not fall off the fukin thing so much.

I agreed with him.  I can do no more than that.  It's fair to say if I was walking down the street and heard and argument I'd probably be the one that got knifed while trying to break it up.  So sue me for standing up against homophobia, it wasn't funny and I become the butt of the joke.  Hilarious.  Not.

Hafta laff  :rollin :lol  that I need to type less and ride more, I couldn't agree more.  Went out for an awesome ride around Rutland water and Melton yesterday.  No FOC and much more riding methinks.  I suspect I'm more solitary than a people person.  Take care Pete.