Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:16 pm

Author Topic: Suzuki's people are dumb  (Read 3834 times)

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki's people are dumb
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2014, 06:50:53 am »
bloody hell  :eek ...thats a bit exposed + ugly...why did they put it there.....looks like an after thought ....bad suzuki  :(
One, is never going to be enough.....

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2014, 06:57:14 am »
Not dumb - built in obsolescence - most of the original V-Stroms rode out the show room and that was the last the dealerships saw them , this bit of flawed technology (sorry thou owners) is a sure fire way of seeing plenty of return trips (probably just after the warranty runs out) .
Wow aren’t I cynical this time of the morning!

"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2014, 07:13:51 am »
It isn't obsolete, it works, I think the 2013 model doesn't fit an EXUP. But they overexposed it so bad, moreover for this kind of bike.

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2014, 09:05:10 am »
Not saying it doesn't work I am saying we know they will probaly fail or break and if we know you can bet your ass Suzuki know too!

Definiton:
 - Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence   in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing aproduct with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2014, 09:30:48 am »
Ah, now I understand you-I am not a native speaker-.
But I'm not sure about Suzuki wanting it to seize so easily. It looks like a lot of bad press for them soon.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2014, 09:42:31 am »
Ideal opportunity for touratwat to produce (or more likely get someone else to produce, and then resell at a massive markup) an overpriced solution for this. Wonder if there have been a series of meetings between the two companies recently?

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2014, 11:06:56 am »
It is really poor design, no doubt on purpose. Although, it would be easy enough to make/have made another cover/shield before it becomes a real problem. It would just need changed back every time before going to the dealer for its service and so on. I this this is done with a lot of products. Over engineering can cause a company to collapse.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2014, 06:56:00 am »
I'm not convinced it is made on purpouse. Dealers often servicing it doesn't compensate the bad press it's going to take. I think it is just like Dani Pedrosa's traction control wire and software:

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2014, 04:48:10 pm »
Wonder if it will actually be part of the service? I know of one manufacturer that doesn't include it.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2014, 06:30:32 pm »
Oddly enough, the R6 Exup is in the same place. Not as hideous though...
The Deef's apprentice

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2014, 06:54:45 pm »
Maybe it's positioned to be more visible and remind owners to look after it
thou shalt not kick

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2014, 07:22:10 pm »
FZ8, rectifier/regulator anyone?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2014, 09:31:23 pm »

This type of butterfly exhaust valve is not an EXUP (Yamaha) or a SET (Suzuki) which are designed for mid range boost and are mounted in the downpipes or directly afterwards e.g. MK1 Fazer 1000.  These single butterfly valves are mounted in the exhaust link pipe just before the end can are a "noise valve" to help them get through ever tougher noise restrictions.  They help keep the weight and size of standard silences down often there's a premuffler box hidden under the bike or tucked up somewhere, they're controlled by an actuator hidden in the tail hump linked to throttle position i.e. the valve matches the throttle 1/4, 1/2 etc.  They work in a similar fashion to EXUP so are often referred to as such, EXUP valves in the original sense are no longer needed thanks mainly to fuel injection these days the MK11 FZ1 only has a single butterfly.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2014, 09:43:41 pm by Gnasher »
Later

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2014, 03:00:36 am »

This type of butterfly exhaust valve is not an EXUP (Yamaha) or a SET (Suzuki) which are designed for mid range boost and are mounted in the downpipes or directly afterwards e.g. MK1 Fazer 1000.  These single butterfly valves are mounted in the exhaust link pipe just before the end can are a "noise valve" to help them get through ever tougher noise restrictions.  They help keep the weight and size of standard silences down often there's a premuffler box hidden under the bike or tucked up somewhere, they're controlled by an actuator hidden in the tail hump linked to throttle position i.e. the valve matches the throttle 1/4, 1/2 etc.  They work in a similar fashion to EXUP so are often referred to as such, EXUP valves in the original sense are no longer needed thanks mainly to fuel injection these days the MK11 FZ1 only has a single butterfly.

Good info  :book
« Last Edit: 24 January 2014, 03:01:08 am by Motorbreath »

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2014, 09:49:51 am »

Interesting. In that case they can probably be junked.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 January 2014, 11:13:10 am »
Interesting. In that case they can probably be junked.

Yes they can there are a few ways of doing it.  Either disconnect the cables at the pipe, at the actuator or if you want to go the whole hog you can remove the whole lot, BUT if you go the latter route you will need a resistor to fool the ECU that's it's still there.

You can but these massively overpriced plugs in's but all they are is a collection of electronics that you can buy at Maplans for a few £.

Oh and DONT blame me if it fails an MOT because the tester thinks it's too loud!

Later