Date: 07-05-24  Time: 19:33 pm

Author Topic: Sprocket gearing  (Read 9234 times)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: Sprocket gearing
« Reply #25 on: 30 April 2016, 11:04:30 am »
Some great info here , all I want to do is bring the revs down a tad at 70, would -2 rear be a bad thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It should be fine. Some 200 revs lower if I got it right.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 April 2016, 05:24:06 pm »
Some great info here , all I want to do is bring the revs down a tad at 70, would -2 rear be a bad thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swap the front and back round, should lower your revs slightly  :b
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2016, 09:20:38 am »
+ 10 on the rear means big wheelies so less front tyre wear.................... :D

Well done Joe, your the man you sorted the economy issues + 10 or 15 on the back = no front tyre wear, you can also do away with whole front brake assembly as its no longer needed, leaky fork oil seals? Weld forks up not needed. Only drawback is it might be difficult to get the headlamps adjusted about right.
Right that's my next project sorted :rollin

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 May 2016, 09:54:36 pm »
The main reason I only went +1 / -1 on front sprockets was to keep the same chain, as mentioned..
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2016, 07:37:07 am »
I have -1 front 14 tooth front. That gives me little more torque and more faster acceleration, but makes my revs a little higher than standard and top speed little lower. About 300 revs more in 6th and 500 revs more in 2nd. Acoording to gearing commander http://www.gearingcommander.com/ that also makes my top speed lower 133mph compared to 143mph standard.

I really do over 100 so not bothered at all  :lol

That improves the acceleration in foots per second from 22 to 25 ft/s2 according to:

http://motorcycleperformanceanalyzer.com/yamaha/fzs-600-fazer-1998/

14 tooth
9100 rpm
59mph
500 lbf
25 ft/s2

Standard:
9100 rpm
62mph
460 lbf
22 ft/s2

If you change ratio 1 tooth change in front equals 3 tooth change rear. Means -1 front = +3 rear. You can do both obviusly if you want bigger impact.

Moto gymkhana guys go say for smaller front and really huge rear sprocket. That gaves them huge acceleration and more torque. Not very suitable for road riding.

I am thinking about doing gymkhana at some point and have the 51 rear sprocket ready. I reckon because its not very drastical change I'll be able to ride on the road with it too  :)

Finally you can go the other way to have bigger front and smaller rear. This will make your ride more relaxed with less revs on the motorway.

If you want relaxed ride I suggest the Fazer 600 is not for you  :lol

The whole point of small capacity IL4 engine is to go in high revs and scream. It is detuned supersport engine.

You need relaxed ride get low revs twin engine. Like Honda Dullville  :rollin

Or really big liter bike one like FZS 1000. Or Bandit 1250. These are relaxed motoway tools if you want them to be.

yeah the fazer is not a motorway ride !  its a fun bike  and needs some throtle to be enjoyed to the max    but how come yours only revs to 9100 ???   get up to the berries  :lol :lol :lol
waters wet, shit stinks !

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 May 2016, 01:57:07 am »
That link just re-inforces my view that rather than mess about with a smaller front or bigger rear sprocket, why not just choose to ride around in one gear lower - then you have the response you desire - all you're doing by changing the sprockets is raising the RPM's for any given speed - just the same as riding around in a lower gear for any given road speed. It's the riders choice that makes the difference.

Personally, I always put a larger sprocket on the front of my in-line fours, to give a more relaxed feel to motorway cruising, but when I'm riding either on track, or on non-motorway's I always ride by engine feel and sound, not by what gear I'm in. The police and most riding schools teach you to ride with the engine revs matching the response you want/need for traffic and road conditions - if you do that you don't need to mess about with smaller front or larger rear sprockets.

Just my opinion and I know many others disagree - but I've always found it works for me.  :)
« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 01:58:25 am by Millietant »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2016, 06:32:58 am »
That link just re-inforces my view that rather than mess about with a smaller front or bigger rear sprocket, why not just choose to ride around in one gear lower - then you have the response you desire - all you're doing by changing the sprockets is raising the RPM's for any given speed - just the same as riding around in a lower gear for any given road speed. It's the riders choice that makes the difference.

1st to 2nd is a hassle to change on FZS gearbox. Putting bigger rear sprocket makes it possible to stay almost always in 2nd when riding slowly in the city.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2016, 10:43:26 am »
Im not interested in going -1F--+ 1 R for any changing revs at any given speed or making it easier staying in 2nd in traffic or any of that, the reason I am thinking of doing it to gain the smiles and not the revs - not bothered what it does to the revs or MPG, just my grin  :D .
If you do a lot of motorway I can see the need to bring down the revs maybe
« Last Edit: 06 May 2016, 01:27:24 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 May 2016, 12:10:20 pm »
If you need 1st in slow traffic I'd say you need to practice your clutch control :evil

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #34 on: 06 May 2016, 07:55:29 pm »
If you need 1st in slow traffic I'd say you need to practice your clutch control :evil

1st when going 5 to 10 km/h, or climbing. With bigger rear chainring I could ride in 2nd until completely stopped and it was more comfortable for city/heavy traffic riding.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 May 2016, 08:58:15 pm »

1st when going 5 to 10 km/h, or climbing. With bigger rear chainring I could ride in 2nd until completely stopped and it was more comfortable for city/heavy traffic riding.
[/

Slip the clutch then coast works for me. If I was to lower the gearing it would be for initial pick up in the lower gears