Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:25 am

Author Topic: front forks refurb  (Read 1124 times)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
front forks refurb
« on: 02 May 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
my forks feel like shit, i think the oil hasnt been changed since new and the bikes sitting at 21k miles.

is this a job i can do on my own? if so are there any guides/special tools ill need and what grade fork oil for a heavy bloke/pillions

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: front forks refurb
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2012, 05:13:24 pm »
if its just an oil change then it should be no problem to do yourself so long and you have a bit of experience. theres no special tools needed just basic hand tool that you get in any set. the manual says to use 10W fork oil but i think a lot of people use 15W so its up to you

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2012, 05:18:14 pm »
I did it recently, wasn't the most complicated thing to do in the world. I only bothered changing the seals and oil.

Guide
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,42.0.html

Bits discussion
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1760.0.html
thou shalt not kick

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2012, 11:37:52 am »
Done mine a month ago with 10w fork oil never made any difference except i know its fresh oil, going for 15w next time "probably in the next few months as the forks are shite" its a simple job just got to make sure you leave the same air gap in each fork, i made a simple tool with the correct airgap marked on think its 121mm off the top of my head.To take old seals out i just take circlip out then push a thin screwdriver through the old seal and yank it out then put new seal in with the help of a bit of plastic pipe,bobs your auntie job done.
Hardest part is screwing the top of the forks back on when you have refilled and pumped all the air out,the threads are very fine and you have to be careful you dont cross thread them also you are pushing against the spring which doesnt help matters,but if you take your time if you aint done it before you will be ok.

topgun44

• Weekend Warrior
  • ride hard a fast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2012, 04:33:40 pm »
i done my i put in 15w lot better here is a link i stuck up on utube
update on my mods to the fz600 fazer

it might help a bit ;)