Date: 01-05-24  Time: 06:59 am

Author Topic: brake disc and pads  (Read 2646 times)

markd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
brake disc and pads
« on: 03 April 2012, 09:59:09 pm »
Hi guys newbie here any advice on changing front brake disc and pads also  replacing. Speedo never done  it before been told its easy all. Advice gracefully received

thanks in advance

markd
« Last Edit: 03 April 2012, 10:21:24 pm by markd »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: brake disc and pads
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2012, 10:49:50 pm »
Download the manual here first: http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2
Would suggest you purchase or get a loan of a good torque wrench when refitting the discs. Disc bolts can be difficult to remove as they have thread locking agent on them. Very easy to over tighten disc bolts as they are only 23NM torque and strip the threads in the wheel. You need thread locking agent when refitting the disc bolts. Clocks are easy to change, remove the screen, remove the wiring plug and remove 3 nuts. Lift  clocks off. Careful not to over tighten screen bolts on refit. What is wrong  with the speedo?

markd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2012, 10:58:39 pm »
Not working foot know if its ceramic or cable

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2012, 11:57:31 am »
Heat the existing disc bolts beforehand with a butane torch to soften the Loctite, then whack 'em immediately with a good fitting impact driver & they should loosen off a fraction without rounding. As mentioned, use a torque wrench to re-set the disc bolts to correct spec

Pads easy enough but check that all your brake pistons are freely moving otherwise uneven wear & dragging-on brakes may mean another replacement set in the near future.

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2012, 02:22:56 pm »
Do not remove the front wheel forwards remove it rearwards turn the bars to get full access this will save you a lot of heartache..and of course its better to have 2 people whilst doing it and also support the bike so the front wheel is off the floor..

byker_groves

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 07:36:07 pm »
On a seperate (but related) issue. i've never changed brake pads before and was wondering if anybody could recommend what brand to go for?
seen some Goldfren HH one's that have the words "ceramic carbon" in the title  :D .  Just want to know people's experiences

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2012, 08:25:46 pm »
Goldfren may be ok for the rear but not in the front. Get some good quality pads - OE Yamaha, SBS, EBC, Ferodo, Vesrah, Dunlopad.

bikemad62

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2012, 10:41:56 pm »
I run carbon ceramic all round last about a year. No problems other than they take a dogs age to bed in. Get mine from goldfren direct on ebay.

know your limitations

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2012, 10:58:28 pm »
Goldfren may be ok for the rear but not in the front. Get some good quality pads - OE Yamaha, SBS, EBC, Ferodo, Vesrah, Dunlopad.
Used Goldfren at both ends of my Kawa ZR7. Took about 100 miles to bed in (no problem as I ride daily) and I was so impressed I've stocked up with another set for my current Gen 1 1000 ready for when the time comes.
I'm a pretty conservative rider but like to lift my skirts now and then and there was no noticeable fade from pretty big speeds.
I might feel differently if I did track days or regular, heavy, high speed braking but for £35 delivered for a full set front and rear, worth a try.
The fact that you can, doesn't always mean you should.

I NEVER watch Emergency Bikers for the emergencies...

Oxygen

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2012, 09:57:13 pm »
I use organics on the rear as softer and they don't bite so much. I have also been told ceramic can wear the disk quicker but I don't have them so don't know. I think I used ECB Pads and the are fine.

I have read very mixed reviews fron goldfren both good and very bad so that's your call. Make sure you get brake cleaner (got min from halfords) sprayed loads on to give them a super clean with a tooth brush any shite or muck left in will not help at all.