Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:43 pm

Author Topic: Done to death........but  (Read 7036 times)

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Done to death........but
« on: 01 June 2015, 06:03:53 pm »
I haven't been out in the dark yet on my boxeye fsz600 yet and I know the lights are meant to be poor. The lights on my old divvie were nothing special with poor penetration and never too bright even with a night breaker bulb. Excuse my ignorance here but has anyone tried to use to H4's in both lamps by modifying the bulb holders or is this a waste of time. I ride all year round  :rolleyes and I'd appreciate the best lighting I can get. The projector set up looks good but at £180 ouch. Any suggestions as to how to improve them for a reasonable price would be appreciated. All the best.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Done to death........but
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2015, 07:06:54 pm »
I did the headlight mod last  week...all the bits from halfords and cost me about a tenner..it took 30 mins to do and is alot better..

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
When I had the 2000 model Boxeye I modified the left holder to take a H4 bulb. From what I can remember, it was a lot better than the original, but it was a a tedious job doing it, but was worth it. :)

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2015, 01:08:58 am »
Unfazed, greater moniker, how many club members wish they'd got to that one first?
When you say tedious I thought it would be just a case of finding a H4 fitment from the local car breakers and gluing it in place. The electrics isn't a problem as I'm a bit of a dab hand and love a challenge. I'll be wiring it through two sets of 5 terminal switching relays to take any extra load and I'll be making a custom wiring harness. I've done this before for cars and bikes and feel comfortable. The only bit that might 'faze' me is the actual bulb holder itself. I figure I can make the harness for around £20 all in because I already have the wiring. If I do it and I have the time I will try to make a guide for others including a wiring diagram.
All the best

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2015, 02:51:17 am »

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2015, 08:16:45 am »
I modified my Divvy by fitting a couple of relays to bypass the switches on the handlebars. It made a huge difference to the brightness and didn't seem to diminish the life of the bulbs significantly.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2015, 10:21:04 am »
The link below might be useful to you. Half way down the first page is a wiring diagram I did some time ago. It's for fitting the Foxeye headlamp with two dips and two main beams to a boxeye, but that sounds just the same as what you are trying to do. i.e two H4 bulbs. The Foxeye wiring diagram does it in a different way and uses different relays for the same result, but would mean more complicated changes to the main wiring harness on a boxeye model.http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5252.0.html
« Last Edit: 02 June 2015, 10:23:43 am by limax2 »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2015, 10:27:30 am »

this might be useful to you. There is a wiring diagram part way down the first page.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5252.msg45694.html#msg45694

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2015, 08:31:57 pm »
Unfazed, greater moniker, how many club members wish they'd got to that one first?
When you say tedious I thought it would be just a case of finding a H4 fitment from the local car breakers and gluing it in place. The electrics isn't a problem as I'm a bit of a dab hand and love a challenge. I'll be wiring it through two sets of 5 terminal switching relays to take any extra load and I'll be making a custom wiring harness. I've done this before for cars and bikes and feel comfortable. The only bit that might 'faze' me is the actual bulb holder itself. I figure I can make the harness for around £20 all in because I already have the wiring. If I do it and I have the time I will try to make a guide for others including a wiring diagram.
All the best

I modified the hole itself to take the H4 bulb, which was why it was so tedious as I had only one shot at it to get it right.

I would suggest you use the relay setup as in the foxeye. One make relay and one change over relay. If you get the specific relays the foxeye uses (or better still the headlight wiring loom) it would be  better as thay have diode protection built in, just make sure you wire them the right way round :lol

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2015, 10:28:23 pm »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2015, 10:31:23 pm »

I modified the hole itself to take the H4 bulb, which was why it was so tedious as I had only one shot at it to get it right.

Can you remember how you done this? Dremel and patience I'm guessing, but wondering more about sizing it up and how it clipped in?
I'm ok with the wiring of it etc :)
Colin
----------------------

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2015, 11:28:26 pm »
That was back in 2002 before I even knew what a Dremel was or heard of one   :lol

I used 3 small files, flat, round, and triangular plus a junior hacksaw blade and as far as I can remember used the original clip for the H2 bulb to hold it in place.
Never said it was easy, but I had plenty of time as I was out of work due to an altercation with the front wheel of a truck :lol where bike escaped, but I didn't :eek

Sizing was trial and error with a blown H4 bulb. Remove the rattly bulb cap put in the H4, mark it with marker, remove bulb cut and file holder,  bulb back in mark some more and do the same again.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2015, 11:44:39 pm »
Yep the standard FOC u.co.uk for me which puts on both OEM bulbs at dipped  BUT the right one ( is it the right, been so long I cant remember ) although normal dipped filament lit it looks brighter on account that it is pointing more to the right as opposed to pointing at the kerb, I also fitted an in-line fuse that I can take out for the MOT so as to revert the beam back to the correct alignment------- although all the tester dose is check I have a normal and full beam -- dont care where it points.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2015, 12:29:44 am »
That was back in 2002 before I even knew what a Dremel was or heard of one   :lol

I used 3 small files, flat, round, and triangular plus a junior hacksaw blade and as far as I can remember used the original clip for the H2 bulb to hold it in place.
Never said it was easy, but I had plenty of time as I was out of work due to an altercation with the front wheel of a truck :lol where bike escaped, but I didn't :eek

Sizing was trial and error with a blown H4 bulb. Remove the rattly bulb cap put in the H4, mark it with marker, remove bulb cut and file holder,  bulb back in mark some more and do the same again.

Cheers for the info unfazed,
might look into giving it a try someday when I've got time, admitted, I don't want the spare time the same way you found it :eek
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2015, 12:30:13 am »
save yourself a fortune!!

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15666.0.html

You still trying to flog your idea? :lol

hell yes! they work so well itd be rude not to !

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2015, 12:34:48 am »
Yep the standard FOC u.co.uk for me which puts on both OEM bulbs at dipped  BUT the right one ( is it the right, been so long I cant remember ) although normal dipped filament lit it looks brighter on account that it is pointing more to the right as opposed to pointing at the kerb, I also fitted an in-line fuse that I can take out for the MOT so as to revert the beam back to the correct alignment------- although all the tester dose is check I have a normal and full beam -- dont care where it points.

Yeah I've got that already, (btw, it's the right side if your sitting on the bike) even took out the shield and used inside of garage door to adjust slightly and not had anyone tell me I'm blinding them, (which makes me think, have they seen me?? Foc, I might need to raise them up a bit :lol
Colin
----------------------

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2015, 12:35:24 am »
Colin
----------------------

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2015, 11:10:09 am »
I was thinking of a trip to the local scrappy and just get a H4 holder off a headlamp and superglue it to the back of the reflector. Obviously after removing the H1 bulb holder.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2015, 08:14:45 pm »
I've  bitten the bullet and purchased two sets (H1 and H4) off fleabay. I bought car sets so I intend to try the H1/H4 original set up and if happy with it leave it at that. If this is sufficient it will leave me with a spare bulb and ballast for each side.  If not I'll  fit two H4's. I'll let you know how I get on.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2015, 08:47:04 pm »
I've  bitten the bullet and purchased two sets (H1 and H4) off fleabay. I bought car sets so I intend to try the H1/H4 original set up and if happy with it leave it at that. If this is sufficient it will leave me with a spare bulb and ballast for each side.  If not I'll  fit two H4's. I'll let you know how I get on.

Don't want to piss on your parade, but you'll find it hard to fit those car ones unless you got the slim ballasts with them, the other thing you've got to make sure is that they are waterproof :eek
Colin
----------------------

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 June 2015, 10:05:00 pm »
I'm expecting pitfalls but I love a challenge. As the wife is often heard to say "How come your ten minute jobs end up taking two hours?" I always reply "If it's worth doing it's worth doing it right". I have the slim 10mm thick ballasts which I intend to waterproof with a combination of silicone sealant and self amalgamating tape. Anything can be done given the right amount of time, money and ingenuity. I'll let you know how I get on. :rolleyes

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 June 2015, 04:03:06 am »
I love challenges too :) but as I only need to answer to myself of why I spend two hours just tinkering with the bike it doesn't really matter :rolleyes
Yes, please keep us informed of how you do this, pictures would really help too :) I'm sure others would benefit :)
Colin
----------------------