Date: 22-05-24  Time: 11:00 am

Author Topic: Baffled by my Exhaust  (Read 1630 times)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
Baffled by my Exhaust
« on: 09 April 2014, 07:37:54 pm »
Would normally feel quite smug about that pun but I'm too pissed off. Bought a Mivv can a few months back, have only recently attempted to fit it. It went on my standard downpipes just about with a graphite gasket which cracked trying to get it over the downpipe outlet, but it held and I bodged it on somehow but it wasn't a great seal at all. It then started to blow really bad along with the rest of my downpipes so I took it all off and fitted motads.

Motads went on a treat no issues there becoming a pro at getting downpipes on and off a Fazer now. Went to fit the Mivv can and broke the graphite gasket. Okay, a bit annoying but it was crap anyway so I chucked it. I then tried to fit it with my old OEM steel wool gasket which didnt work and ruined that gasket too. My Dad said the clamp was too big and I agreed, we measured the motad outlet at 43mm and the clamp is for 52-55mm?!?  :eek  Totally useless, completely tightened you can just pull it straight off the end of the link pipe what use is that?

Ordered a new steel wool gasket and a new clamp, a 47-51mm so that it would allow a little room for the gasket. Arrived today, went to fit and it just about went on but some gasket was poking out even with my best efforts to get it all in, did feel tight though so I was willing to sacrifice aesthetics for function. Started the bike and it was blowing badly from the link pipe and downpipe join... Took it off and tried again and the steel wool gasket fell to pieces in my hands, utter shite. Tightened the clamp up so much to try and make a good seal that I have crushed one of the spacing things. To top it all off, my petrol tank top bolt near the front has threaded for God knows what reason. I have spent more time and money this year trying to fix this bike than actually ride it. I'm getting sick of even looking at it, especially considering my heart isnt even in it sometimes and im considering other bikes.

I feel totally stuck and have no idea where to even go from here. I put the stock can back on with the remains of the steel wool gasket and it still blew. I cant even use that for the mot. I don't want to waste money on a 3rd gasket. I bought this exhaust months ago and have used a couple of times so I can't return it. I just feel like I want rid of this bike now and all of the bollocks I seem to be dealing with with it. I mean for foc sake putting an exhaust on should be an absolute piece of piss and its just getting ridiculous now. My MOT is next week, my Dad is going on about welding a ring on the end of the Motad but what is the point, nobody else has to do that. It should all just slip on, most link pipes don't even need gaskets. I am wondering if its the wrong link pipe, the side stand bung doesn't quite line up properly either, but I have no idea and just feel exasperated with it all now. Can only imagine that as soon as this is fixed something else will decide to flop off or go bang.  :(  Might rename myself Eeyore.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Baffled by my Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2014, 08:05:30 pm »

Mate..what can i say...we've all been there with something or other & it aint nice......plus the nice ish weather is upon us and that makes it worse when you cant get out.

Some people actually thrive on these challenges though......not me...no thanks...i've learned allot......but id rather be riding & that's why im going down the expensive route of getting something newer & sticking to stealer maintenance.....because it's the way to guarantee the most riding i can get during a sometimes small window.

One things for sure...as soon as you get out again all the pain will dissapear.

& that can sounds like a focaround .......must be the wrong link pipe......my Sp just slotted on & clamped up tight.....with no gasket.

& those tank bolts are crap....every time a bike tips over they break their thread.....i found a random phillips head bolt about an i ch and a half long and just whapped that in there and it seems well strong....nit sure what part of my bike it came off though.

I shoulda scrapped my bike the day i binned it...but I'm glad it didn't get the better of me.....total waste of time and money some folk may think.....but getting it on the road & me back on the road was essential to my biking future & that chapter is thankfully behind me.......but i now absolutely hate foccing about and dont have patience........sounds like you dont either.

I wouldn't foc about with that exhaust any longer if i was you.......either write off the exhaust & order another that's easy fitting....or take to a garage & leave the pain of fitting to them.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2014, 08:13:16 pm »
I feel your pain but I'm sure that most of the time you love your Fazer. Machinery is always a pain in the ass when something threatens to defeat us. The love will come back when you get this sorted. However, I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem. I have no idea what a graphite or a steel wool gasket are. I fitted an SP Engineering link pipe and end can to my boxeye some time ago and was supplied with stainless exhaust clamps to tighten the manifold onto the link pipe and then the link pipe onto the end can. A certain degree of manipulation was required to get the side stand bung plate to line up but its a question of taking your time and walking away for an hour if you start getting frustrated. I reinforced the seal at both ends of the link pipe by smearing a bit of silicone gasket inside the mating surfaces before fitting it all together. It may not have needed it but I did it just to make sure.

Just calm down and have another go at it over the next few days when you formulated a different attack plan.

By the way, buying another bike will only bring you a different set of problems or maybe even the same problems but on a different bike. They're machines and its what they do  :\
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2014, 08:28:54 pm »
I do like the bike a lot when its actually working, I actually like fixing stuff too to a degree but when its just sat on the drive looking sorry for itself and im paying insurance etc for it to have it just sat there I just think what is the point? When its something so simple as fitting an exhaust, considering I have done the hard part of the downpipes, I just think what on earth is even going on? I've rebuilt more difficult things on it like the forks, clutch etc and enjoyed doing that and then enjoyed the fact that they are working well afterwards but this exhaust is absolutely pushing the limit of my patience. I'm going to contact the company who sold it to me on ebay to see what they think. Getting a new bike is obviously a bit of a drastic response but like I say I'm not happy with it at the moment and patience is wearing thin. God help anyone who has done something like break an exhaust stud off, that would really be the last straw for me.

My Dad said he has never had a bike with Gaskets between the end can and downpipes, I thought it was common on most bikes? This Mivv can has only one clamp for the downpipe and link pipe join, the can is held to the link pipe with a spring. It is over engineered really, even the so called "removable" baffle is held in with a rivet than needs drilling out, then you need to find something to substitute that rivet when you want the baffle back in.... Not like the other choice I wish I went for now which was a Pipe Werx end can. As for calming down and coming back at it, I have tried every different possible plan of attack now and waited days between for postage to arrive, all to no avail. I see what my Dad is saying about welding on a more "permanent" seal on the end of the motads, something for the link pipe to seal on to but it seems a bit extreme? Not sure how a garage would even sort out this issue either.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2014, 08:33:01 pm »

I would put up a new thread on the 600 forum

Help-anyone got a Mivv end can?

Foccers are always helpful. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
I know you've been considering a different bike for a while now, these issues are going towards helping you make up your mind, I think the time has come to do what I did, go away and scratch that itch, last year alone my bike history was Fazer/MZ Mastiff/XT600e/Fazer/KLE500, I wanted the long travel suspension to cope with our shit roads but missed the overall do it all'ness of the Fazer, and here I am back again, but.........I don't regret the changing around and needed to do it to fully appreciate the bike I now have......a Fazer 600!

All the best

Gareth

johna6968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 April 2014, 09:41:42 pm »
Cant be fun especially after shelling out for the mivv can.. If any bonus it was a pain to fit the link pipe with my pipewerx too due to just slightly wrong aftermarket gasket.. I luckily have a bike exhaust fabricator not too far away who will resize any link pipe to exact bore required.. Has even slotted the collector box end before now to help clamping.. many come solid without the slots and cant see how a clamp is expected to crush that to any extent as to form a tight bond unless perfect fitment... Like others have said walk away from the bike and come back fresh to sort the issue...
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..