Date: 20-05-24  Time: 09:47 am

Author Topic: Aftermarket cans and the missing bottem end...  (Read 1512 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Aftermarket cans and the missing bottem end...
« on: 05 July 2013, 11:11:50 am »
Morning

Off the top of your collective heads, which 3rd part cans out there have a nice noise but don't rob the torque from the bottom of the rev range..

That MTC can has been sent back because of the un-curable piff/paff noise but also because the missing torque

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket cans and the missing bottem end...
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2013, 12:24:11 pm »
The piff paff would likely be a hole left after the baffle was removed! Mine is, i like the noise! Its a delkavik can i have!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
Short cans will tend to reduce low end torque, even more if they're without dB killer inserts/baffles.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2013, 01:58:25 pm »
Morning

Off the top of your collective heads, which 3rd part cans out there have a nice noise but don't rob the torque from the bottom of the rev range..

That MTC can has been sent back because of the un-curable piff/paff noise but also because the missing torque

I got a Stainless Yoshimura TPS that I recall doesn't & for sale if your interested? As new as I bought it as a spare, its in the loft all boxed up.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2013, 02:20:00 pm »
The piff paff would likely be a hole left after the baffle was removed!
The MTC was doing it with the baffle in..

@Capt you have a PM.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
It seems to me (and I'm quite willing to be enlightened if I'm wrong) that all "race" style cans will add a little to the top end (if well developed), trading for a little loss low down. Back in the day, it was accepted that on carbed bikes (there were very few fuel injection ones around - I'm talking 70s/80s) you replaced the stock air filter and upjetted to suit to get the best from any race exhaust. I have had a gen 1 with Akrapovich can and had it Dynojetted, which worked fairly well. However, it seems to me that if you want to be truly happy with a gen 1 with a race can, Ivanising is the only way to go. Any reason you're not? (Seems to me the cost is very reasonable considering the improvement gained - less than my new can on it's own).

jools

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermarket cans and the missing bottom end...
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2013, 10:53:49 am »
The standard can has a 60mm dia link pipe and most after market exhaust have a 50mm
I think that this has a lot to do with it.
I had a exhaust recently but i sold it because of the robbing the lower end Torque
I have recently had the Ivanising done by mike and this has completely transformed the bike
so i would be looking for a Akrapovich can before long to see if this has resolved the lower end lose of Torque.
Or if you have exhaust PM me for details
jools