Date: 01-05-24  Time: 00:08 am

Author Topic: Winter  (Read 29106 times)

Diablo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Winter
« Reply #50 on: 28 January 2012, 12:22:49 am »
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-used/used-review-yamaha-fazer-600/4313-2.html#ixzz1jdOVZraK
a link to the site that i read about bulbs making use of both lamps.

Diablo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 28 January 2012, 12:24:26 am »
Argh think they just mean they are brighter lol.
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-used/used-review-yamaha-fazer-600/4313-2.html#ixzz1jdOVZraK

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #52 on: 29 January 2012, 07:29:38 pm »
Got the front wheel off today, with the intention of doing the fork oil. Then I realised some smart arse designer decided it would be a good idea to have a LARGE allen bolt, bigger than the others and bigger than my kit's largest, on the black yolk. WTF...

Have to get some bigger allan keys then
« Last Edit: 29 January 2012, 08:00:52 pm by adeejaysdelight »
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #53 on: 29 January 2012, 08:06:59 pm »
bit nervous with raising petrol tank but ill be carefull.

Don't raise the tank, take it off. Give yourself some room to work. It is only one more bolt and a hose. One man job too, unlike my Honda.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #54 on: 30 January 2012, 04:25:44 am »

Have to get some bigger allan keys then

Talking Pish. I forgot I got these last year as my "gift" when I subscribed to Bike Magazine  :lol , just never used them...Well, I have now and got those bolts out  :D .
« Last Edit: 01 February 2012, 01:29:44 am by adeejaysdelight »

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30 January 2012, 08:51:16 am »
Thats probably better, then you've only got to disturb everything once!  :)

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 January 2012, 04:35:18 pm »
Brake calipers cleaned and ready for refitting...

Exactly what I was doing at the week end!! Even robbed the sonic toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies... our lass couldnt help notice her tooth brush tasted a little funny that evening  ;) , but it did an excellent job especially in those blue spots and around the pistons... Did you have any trouble cleaning around the pistons?  :lol
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Diablo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30 January 2012, 07:38:07 pm »
Don't raise the tank, take it off. Give yourself some room to work. It is only one more bolt and a hose. One man job too, unlike my Honda.

Think ill do that might as well,makes life easier. thanx adeejaysdelight. :)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #58 on: 30 January 2012, 08:42:41 pm »

I done it in 4 staps, no problems at all. Quite theraputic actually.

1. Engine de-geaser foam and toothbrush, rinse, do it again.
2. Brake cleaner, spray.
3. A right good skoosh of proclean oil or another rust inhibiter oil, like WD40 or duck oil. Let it soften any remaining dirt and get the tootbrush in again.
4. Rins off and oil again.

Job done.

Exactly what I was doing at the week end!! Even robbed the sonic toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies... our lass couldnt help notice her tooth brush tasted a little funny that evening  ;) , but it did an excellent job especially in those blue spots and around the pistons... Did you have any trouble cleaning around the pistons?  :lol
I cleaned the calipers in a 4 stage process.
Yeah, take it off mate. Takes 5 minutes and you won't scratch it. Well worth it  ;)

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30 January 2012, 09:34:19 pm »

I done it in 4 staps, no problems at all. Quite theraputic actually.

1. Engine de-geaser foam and toothbrush, rinse, do it again.
2. Brake cleaner, spray.
3. A right good skoosh of proclean oil or another rust inhibiter oil, like WD40 or duck oil. Let it soften any remaining dirt and get the tootbrush in again.
4. Rins off and oil again.

Job done.

I cleaned the calipers in a 4 stage process.
Yeah, take it off mate. Takes 5 minutes and you won't scratch it. Well worth it  ;)

My method was:
1 - Spray down calipers with brake cleaner solvent (removes excess brake dust)
2 - Scrub with warm soapy water
3 - fine tough nylon brush to clean off pistons (ensuring free movement) and the continued detailed cleaning with our lass's sonic toothbrish
4 - Red grease(water based) the pistons to lube the piston seals then push back in(removed excess grease)
5 - Re wash and scrubbed the caliper and cleaned the brake pads and caliper spring/plate off
6 - copper slipped the retaining pin & back of pads
7 - Re-assembled and refitted onto the bike

Maybe a bit anal... im now more confident in the state of the calipers... he says!!  :lol
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 30 January 2012, 09:52:06 pm »

First page, last lines:

"What did Yamaha replace it with? The revvier, buzzier R6-engined tart's handbag that is the FZ6. Alas poor Fazer! We knew you well..."

English is not my mother lenguage. I know what tart means, but what does it mean this expression? It sounds funny.
The right way to wire the lights:
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,181.0.html

Diablo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01 February 2012, 08:51:00 am »
A tart is a female who put way too much makeup on and perfume. lol In liverpool some call their women their tarts.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #62 on: 01 February 2012, 08:18:04 pm »
Update - I done the fork oil today, and made an arse of it. Explanation...

There are two washers, one with a hole and one without. The one without goes on top. I, like a total idiot, reassembled the forks with them in the wrong order. I put them back on the bike, locked up the garage and came in the house. It was in the shower I had my "eureka" moment, and realised that I have wasted my day and my new oil.  :'(

So, let's look at the positives...This being my first go, I now know how NOT to do it. Also, the forks and all those components are getting the royal treatment as the new oil will be flushed out and replaced in a couple of days, this time with better stuff.

It only seems right I put up the good with the bad here, and hopefully I can save someone making the same mistake as myself.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2012, 08:20:42 pm by adeejaysdelight »

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01 February 2012, 09:10:51 pm »

There are two washers, one with a hole and one without. The one without goes on top. I, like a total idiot, reassembled the forks with them in the wrong order. I put them back on the bike, locked up the garage and came in the house. It was in the shower I had my "eureka" moment, and realised that I have wasted my day and my new oil.  :'(

So, let's look at the positives...This being my first go, I now know how NOT to do it. Also, the forks and all those components are getting the royal treatment as the new oil will be flushed out and replaced in a couple of days, this time with better stuff.

It only seems right I put up the good with the bad here, and hopefully I can save someone making the same mistake as myself.

I shall remember that when I do mine!! Cheers!!  :rollin

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 01 February 2012, 11:08:22 pm »

Mate you may not need to disassemble them to fix it.
1.Put the bike on the centerstand.
2.Open the handlebar clamps and place the handlebar over the clocks.
First one leg:
3.Soft the allen screw that holds one fork leg (the upper smaller, not the bigger!)
4.Remove the fork cap, (easiest if it is on the softest preload mark and the cap that you are not dissasembling is at the hardest position).
5.Now you can get the upper washer. Remove the spacer and this is tough part:  I do not know if the oem washer can be caught with a magnet. I used a magnet and a long hook when I changed the springs, but the washers were made by myself and they were on the right position near the top. You may need to stick the magnet to a long thing to reach it and expect it being magnetic.
6.Put every thing in place and do the other leg.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2012, 11:34:23 pm by Motorbreath »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #65 on: 02 February 2012, 10:54:25 pm »
I had the forks off the bike (which is pretty easy considering the bike is naked just now), totally stripped and hanging upside down to let them drain of old oil. I use an old cat tray as my oil tray, which I just poured all of the internals into. I then proceeded to clean them all, one at a time. I never checked the order they came out as I have my Haynes manual, which has a clear diagram. And that was my mistake...

The washer in question is part number 2. Looks to me like there is a hole there. What you recon?

Well anyway, I took a tired and cold guess, and got it wrong  :\ . I'm over it now and have taken the positive from it.

Let me know what you see in the picture.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 03 February 2012, 12:46:47 am »
It is not your fault, that is not a fazer fork, the haynes is wrong. Download the 2002 yamaha service manual or part catalogue. Do not download the 2000 yamaha supplement because it is wrong too. Neither the 98 manual because it is for non-adjustable forks.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #67 on: 03 February 2012, 08:15:32 am »
Cheers for that moterbreath. Any idea where I can acquire said manual from the old interwagon?

squiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 03 February 2012, 01:49:22 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1

i got my manual from here mate:)
if not i have another in pdf format let me know n il see what i can do.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 03 February 2012, 02:32:21 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1

i got my manual from here mate:)
if not i have another in pdf format let me know n il see what i can do.

Ha ha thats where I got mine from, just as good as the one in the shop/ebay etc!!

squiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 03 February 2012, 07:05:14 pm »
yep...only far cheaper jon lol......have only ever had to buy one workshop manual for all the cars and bikes ive owned in the last 22 years lol

gotta love the interweb!  :rollin

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 03 February 2012, 09:45:50 pm »
Cheers for that moterbreath. Any idea where I can acquire said manual from the old interwagon?

You are welcome. Can I ask a favour in return? Could you measure the length of the spacer if you get it in your hands again? (number 3 in your haynes picture), and your springs if they are original? I guess the manual specs may be wrong.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2012, 09:56:57 pm by Motorbreath »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #72 on: 04 February 2012, 09:02:06 pm »
I re-done the forks today, as I made a pig's ear of it during the week. This time I used shell advanced 15w oil, which feels very nice. They feel as if there is quite a bit more resistance than the standard 10w. I will have to wait to get on the road though.

I seem to have lost my white grease. Does anyone know if copper grease can be used on axle rod's? I have not relubed the shaft yet (tee hee hee), so I want to check first.

I also finished painting the radiator. I had already done the sides and piping, but the fins had quite a bit of pitting. So I gave them a double coat of black engine spray paint. Came up ok, and a definite improvement.

Motorbreath - The spacer, number 3 in the picture, is 183mm. I forgot to measure the spring, sorry mate. But I'm not sure if they are original or not.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 05 February 2012, 12:55:41 pm »
I re-done the forks today, as I made a pig's ear of it during the week. This time I used shell advanced 15w oil, which feels very nice. They feel as if there is quite a bit more resistance than the standard 10w. I will have to wait to get on the road though.

I seem to have lost my white grease. Does anyone know if copper grease can be used on axle rod's? I have not relubed the shaft yet (tee hee hee), so I want to check first.

I also finished painting the radiator. I had already done the sides and piping, but the fins had quite a bit of pitting. So I gave them a double coat of black engine spray paint. Came up ok, and a definite improvement.

Motorbreath - The spacer, number 3 in the picture, is 183mm. I forgot to measure the spring, sorry mate. But I'm not sure if they are original or not.

I always use LM Grease for lubing my shaft!! I have heard some stories about using copper grease on shafts, as it can be abrasive on certain metals. I normally use copper grease on threads, and the back of brake pads to stop them siezing in the calipers. :)

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 February 2012, 06:05:01 pm »
Hi just whanted to say a big thanks about the paint :) just painted mine two day its nice stuff  :D
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!