Date: 18-05-24  Time: 00:17 am

Author Topic: Electrical problem  (Read 1321 times)

chewie

• Cager in Training
  • Live, Laugh, Love & Ride a Fazer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Electrical problem
« on: 06 June 2013, 05:07:08 pm »
Hi all, I'm a recent FZS600 99 plate purchaser and enjoying it immensely!  However I'm not very experienced or tech savy in the servicing department to say the least!  I have been experiencing a problem with the electrics cutting out!!  It's not happening all the time and is very intermittent.  Sometimes when I pull up the engine cuts out with no electrics or lights on the dash.  I can usually get it started again by switching the engine stop on/off and firing it up.  Other times the engine keeps running but I notice the odometer and the rev counter have died for a few seconds and fluctuate on/off.  This has also happened when I've been travelling at speed.  I suppose the lights might be going off as well but due to mainly riding during the day, don't know for sure!

Any ideas?  laymans terms pls  :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 05:13:27 pm »
sounds like a dodgy connection either at the battery or fuse box...give the terminals,fuses and connections a good clean up and make sure they are all secure....you`ll find the fuse box under the tank  ;)

stick a post in the intro section to say hello....and we all like a piccie or two  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 05:16:51 pm »
First thing I would check is that your battery terminals are tight and that none of the wires connecting to the terminals are loose in their connectors.
In laymen terms remove the seat and tighten both bolts on the battery n make sure all the wires there are secure.

Good luck

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 07:07:00 pm »
No. 1- as above, tighten battery terminals.

No. 2 is the rev counter randomly going off and on or is it going to zero then flicking up to 3000 revs (for example) then back to zero without the engine actually revving higher? This would be an error code, informing you something is not right!

No. 3 temporarily spray contact cleaner or wd40 into all the gaps of the kill switch and flick it on/ off a few times, if you're confident to do so then unscrew the switch housing and have a look for corrosion on the contacts.

No. 4 tell us how that goes and we'll go from there!
Some say...

chewie

• Cager in Training
  • Live, Laugh, Love & Ride a Fazer!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2013, 09:36:40 pm »
Hi all, thanks for the advice - It appears to have been the negative terminal connection was a bit loose!  Have tightened that up and on the ride home it seems to have rectified it!  I appreciate your help and advice!  Will say hi in the intro forum and post some photos of my beauty!!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2013, 10:58:07 pm »
Glad it was an easy fix, another giveaway for loose terminals is the headlights turning off!
Some say...