roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ello!
« on: 11 October 2015, 12:49:03 am »
Hello from Suffolk!

I have a lovely 2001 FZS1000 in really nice condition which I bought a few years ago for £1,600 - bargain!

It had a badly dented tank covered in a Baglux cover - sold that on eBay and bought a good tank for £100 or so - job's a good 'un!!

I tarted up the plastic radiator end covers (replaced peeling silver paint with black) and the bike's very presentable.

Hoping to find loads of expert advice on here for any future jobs. The first job is to respray the valve cover - any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dave

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Ello!
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2015, 02:22:08 am »
Hello Dave and welcome to the forum  :)

and

:useless
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ello!
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2015, 11:34:36 am »
Ha, I should know by now not post to the Intro section without a photo!

Well, it turns out that I aint taken no photos of her since I bought her!! So here's one from the day I bought her.

me beast
me beast

She aint changed much except the rad end covers were peeling so I sprayed them up black (which I think looks much better anyway).

And I changed the badly dented tank for a good used one off eBay.

She currently has her tank, rad, valve cover etc off for a service.

I realised she needed a service coz she developed a slight mis-fire under load conditions.

I'm also hoping the service will cure a very weird thing I used to get which I wonder if anyone has heard of before: under low load (light acceleration) at low revs, I would hit a patch of rough power delivery which made the power train vibrate/resonate very noticeably, like the slack in the primary drive and/or final drive was flapping about. Kinda hard to describe the sound but it was like a heavy juddering. The actual power delivery was still good and smooth but it just made this strange noise like the chain/s slapping about a bit.

Is that a common thing?

When I change the spark plugs I noticed that #2 had been running a bit rich so I'm hoping it was just that cylinder flooding and causing the rough delivery and this service will clean it all up. It'll be interesting to see what the carb synching says about the current carb balance...

Cheers,
Dave