Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:48 pm

Author Topic: Advance stop lines (asl's/ bike boxes) A WARNING!  (Read 14119 times)

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
Re: Advance stop lines (asl's/ bike boxes) A WARNING!
« Reply #50 on: 16 August 2013, 05:35:35 pm »
Shame the Police can't put the same effort into the drug dealing /taking scumbag neighbours of mine , who have taken to sitting in there front garden smoking weed , throwing their empty cans of lager all over the street  , playing loud music and shouting there heads off till 2 in the morning , when I have to get up for work in the morning . I don't blame the Police , they do want the government tells them. 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #51 on: 16 August 2013, 06:03:08 pm »
I had a look at that code and I can't see where I broke it. I was very careful to avoid him, and I gave him as much space as he allowed. I notice you didn't mention anything about the cyclist being in the middle of the road.

Highway Code Paragraph 163

163 Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
[...]
    give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213 and 214 to 215).

I suppose you would have me tailing behind the cyclist for the whole 10 mile stretch?

Highway Code Paragraph 169

169 Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

But just because you don't like the way he's riding, doesn't mean that you have the right to drive like a twunt.

PS

It was perfectly safe for me to pass.

Obviously he felt differently. I wonder how you would have felt had it been you?
« Last Edit: 16 August 2013, 06:07:28 pm by Grahamm »

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 16 August 2013, 06:09:04 pm »
Shame the Police can't put the same effort into the drug dealing /taking scumbag neighbours of mine , who have taken to sitting in there front garden smoking weed , throwing their empty cans of lager all over the street  , playing loud music and shouting there heads off till 2 in the morning , when I have to get up for work in the morning . I don't blame the Police , they do want the government tells them.
Your mixing road traffic and criminal law there bud, the cops have seperate departments for each of these, and there's very little crossover between them. Traffic cops tend to stay on the roads, response cops deal with the joint smoking bell-end.
Call your community beat manager and tell him about your neighbour. He'll sort it!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 16 August 2013, 07:50:46 pm »
I had a look at that code and I can't see where I broke it. I was very careful to avoid him, and I gave him as much space as he allowed. I notice you didn't mention anything about the cyclist being in the middle of the road.

Highway Code Paragraph 163

163 Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
[...]
    give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213 and 214 to 215).

I suppose you would have me tailing behind the cyclist for the whole 10 mile stretch?

Highway Code Paragraph 169

169 Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

But just because you don't like the way he's riding, doesn't mean that you have the right to drive like a twunt.

PS

It was perfectly safe for me to pass.

Obviously he felt differently. I wonder how you would have felt had it been you?

Well to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have been riding in the middle of the road in the first place. As for him feeling differently, I couldn't actually care less what he felt.

I drove about 6 inches into the rough on the opposite side and made my way past him at a sensible pace, keeping an eye on him at all times to make sure I wasn't going to get too close.

Please Mr perfect, could you inform me as to the correct way to resolve the dilemma of not wanting to drive at bicycle speeds for 10 miles?

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 16 August 2013, 07:51:53 pm »
Don't get me started, they want roads to be made safer for them- completely understandable, but the amount of cyclists I see out of these lanes is unbelievable

1) Cyclists are not *required* to use cycle lanes.

2) Cycle lanes (at least the ones down here) are very often not swept by road sweepers, meaning that all the crap and debris end up in them and it's very easy to puncture a cycle tyre.

Highway Code Paragraphs 154 - 155

No, I am talking about cycle lanes in London where they are seperated from the road by a kerb in order for vulnerable road users to be able to use them safely,
Now, because of these physically seperated areas the roads are now narrower,
A cyclist using the road in these circumstances is a danger to themselves and others!

All these videos I see on youtube from cyclists riding dominantly when it comes to roads narrowing I completely back the cyclist, but when they do it for no reason other than to block the road they have no reason to complain,
Sharing the road between push bikes and motorised vehicles is a 2 way thing!
Some say...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 August 2013, 12:54:14 am »
Please Mr perfect, could you inform me as to the correct way to resolve the dilemma of not wanting to drive at bicycle speeds for 10 miles?

But you know that are just trying to wind people up aren't you ;)

Shhh!

:lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 18 August 2013, 12:55:48 am »
No, I am talking about cycle lanes in London where they are seperated from the road by a kerb in order for vulnerable road users to be able to use them safely,

I'm not familiar with those. I've seen the blue tarmac ones, but none that are actually physically separate.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 August 2013, 02:25:16 am »
New bike lane Bethnal Green Road

Here's a London cycle lane, which is typical of segregated cycle lanes around the country. If you cycle on the road then you have right of way when approaching side turns. However as shown in the video when on a segregated cycle lane the cyclist has to give way.

Segregated cycle lanes, in my experience, are there to keep cyclists off the road rather than to protect them.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #58 on: 18 August 2013, 05:57:05 am »
New bike lane Bethnal Green Road

Here's a London cycle lane, which is typical of segregated cycle lanes around the country. If you cycle on the road then you have right of way when approaching side turns. However as shown in the video when on a segregated cycle lane the cyclist has to give way.

Segregated cycle lanes, in my experience, are there to keep cyclists off the road rather than to protect them.

In my country whenever a cycle lane crosses a road, the drivers are supposed to give way... which they seldom do unfortunately. For me, on a bicycle, it has been a lot safer riding on the road with traffic. However, by law, we are forced to use bicycle lanes/tracks when they exist by the road we are traveling... which is never enforced by cops. 
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18 August 2013, 02:23:53 pm »

I entirely agree with you.

There are some like that in Portsmouth and, like that one, you get pedestrians (or other obstructions) in the cycle lane and if you're cycling, every time you get to a road, you have to waste energy slowing or even stopping to let traffic cross, then expend more energy getting moving again which means you are not cycling in the most efficient manner (which is to lose as little momentum as possible).

As such, I simply do not bother using those cycle lanes.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 18 August 2013, 03:10:08 pm »
U can still use broken cycle lanes to filter.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 18 August 2013, 04:12:08 pm »

But you know that are just trying to wind people up aren't you ;)

Shhh!

:lol

:'( You is not as easy man to troll Graham. Any pointers for future reference?  :rolleyes

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 18 August 2013, 05:12:55 pm »

I entirely agree with you.

There are some like that in Portsmouth and, like that one, you get pedestrians (or other obstructions) in the cycle lane and if you're cycling, every time you get to a road, you have to waste energy slowing or even stopping to let traffic cross, then expend more energy getting moving again which means you are not cycling in the most efficient manner (which is to lose as little momentum as possible).

As such, I simply do not bother using those cycle lanes.

If you want to ride a push bike and not waste energy then go on a velodrome, twats use this as an excuse to jump red lights and it is not acceptable, public roads have junctions and hazards to avoid, therefore you will waste energy many times on a journey, you have a choice for your mode of transport, don't make shit excuses to make up for it.
Do you moan about wasting fuel on your bike by slowing down to stop at junctions?
when on the road I'm as considerate as possible to other road users around me, selfish tossers should be whipped!
« Last Edit: 18 August 2013, 05:34:35 pm by Punkstig »
Some say...

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 August 2013, 07:03:17 pm »
That's not what I'm saying. At 14 seconds on that video there's this:
cycleLane
cycleLane

Now imagine you are cycling along this road and a car is approaching behind you, and it wants to turn left into that side road. If you were cycling along the road then you would have right of way and the car should wait until you went past (but often they'll accelerate and cut you up). However if you're on this cycle lane then you have to stop for the car.

This is what I'm saying - this type of cycle lane are a dream for anti-cyclist road planners as they can tick the "cycling provision provided" box and also keep thing out of the way of cars.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 August 2013, 07:12:28 pm »
If you want to ride a push bike and not waste energy then go on a velodrome, twats use this as an excuse to jump red lights and it is not acceptable, public roads have junctions and hazards to avoid, therefore you will waste energy many times on a journey, you have a choice for your mode of transport, don't make shit excuses to make up for it.

Let me guess, you don't regularly ride a bicycle...  :rolleyes

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #65 on: 18 August 2013, 07:17:00 pm »

While on a bicycle:

a yield sign = what it says
a stop sign = a yield sign
a red light = a yield sign
a green light = a yield sign

For safe riding that is.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 18 August 2013, 11:26:31 pm »
I don't believe you can bud, a broken cycle lane points to wether you can stop to load/unload, not drive along it, unless there is a sign with designated times on it (like bus lanes) like the junction of Holborn and Grays inn heading west along Holborn!
Some say...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 18 August 2013, 11:31:08 pm »

Not since I stopped BMX racing at 13, and at that age I still knew to ride properly on the road!
Some say...

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 19 August 2013, 04:54:19 am »

I don't believe you can bud, a broken cycle lane points to wether you can stop to load/unload, not drive along it, unless there is a sign with designated times on it (like bus lanes) like the junction of Holborn and Grays inn heading west along Holborn!
A broken cycle line or ANY dotted line meeans it can be crossed. Holborn grays inn is SOLID. U will never see an comply sign on broken lines.
If ya dont know ask met traffic
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 19 August 2013, 10:20:59 am »

A broken cycle line or ANY dotted line meeans it can be crossed. Holborn grays inn is SOLID. U will never see an comply sign on broken lines.
I see legally it can be used but out of principal that its there for cyclists I stay out of them.
Yes, Holborn is solid, but so are bus lanes!
That one has a time of operation plate so can be used,  its the only one I know of in the city with a time plate, have you seen any others Exup?
Some say...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 19 August 2013, 11:09:54 am »
I don't believe you can bud,

Highway Code Paragraph 140:

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

It's a "Do Not" not a "Must Not".

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 19 August 2013, 11:16:58 am »

Not since I stopped BMX racing at 13, and at that age I still knew to ride properly on the road!

Right, so you were young and fit had plenty of energy to spare, so starting and stopping repeatedly wasn't so much of a problem. But efficient cycling (especially when you're a bit older) means you don't want to waste energy, so you want to minimise the number of times this happens.

(And please note, by the way, that I am *NOT* advocating jumping red lights and all that sort of crap. I despite cyclists who do that sort of thing because it allows people in internet discussion forums to tar all cyclists with the same brush, even when we ride sensibly)

But the point is that if a council is going to provide cycle lanes, they should actually be *useful* to cyclists, instead of just being a box-ticking exercise or designed to keep bicycles out of the way of cars.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 19 August 2013, 12:06:59 pm »
Lots of people getting pulled over this morning, cyclists included and a dust up between a motorcyclist and cyclist at Aldgate this morning!
Plenty of cops around though to sort it out but the bloke on the Triumph had a helmet cam on and he was abusing the cyclist and kicking his bike. I'm pretty sure that won't go down well