Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:10 am

Author Topic: carb vacuum gauge's.....which type is best?  (Read 983 times)

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
carb vacuum gauge's.....which type is best?
« on: 23 June 2015, 08:39:28 pm »
I've got an old set of the carb tune none mercury gauge's, must be a good few years old now or a bank of 4 separate dial gauge's a better more accurate bet? :)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: carb vacuum gauge's.....which type is best?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2015, 09:07:37 pm »
I have a set of the 4 separate dial gauge type, had them for years , used them plenty of times to balance my bikes and mates bikes and are accurate enough. What makes you think your old gauges are not accurate  any more?
If you are thinking of replacing your old ones how much do you want to spend is probably the most deciding factor.

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2015, 05:04:16 am »
Hi Slappy,

mine ain't dial gauges there more like four tubes that sit upright in a little box, they might be fine but my thoughts were a dial gauge just looks more accurate if that makes any sense :D

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2015, 12:34:49 pm »
my thoughts were a dial gauge just looks more accurate if that makes any sense :D

I've never used one of these, but I'd think that the four tubes ones were better because a) there's no mechanical component (the vacuum has to move a needle which may have some resistance) and b) on the four tubes you can just look straight across and see they're all at the same level, rather than having to check the individual position of each needle on a dial.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2015, 01:25:13 pm »
my thoughts were a dial gauge just looks more accurate if that makes any sense :D

I've never used one of these, but I'd think that the four tubes ones were better because a) there's no mechanical component (the vacuum has to move a needle which may have some resistance) and b) on the four tubes you can just look straight across and see they're all at the same level, rather than having to check the individual position of each needle on a dial.

I would have thought that as well, every time I have used mine I have spent the first five minutes adjusting the dampers to stop the needles flickering.