Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:59 pm

Author Topic: Headlights Not Working  (Read 1140 times)

Lemongrab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Headlights Not Working
« on: 27 September 2023, 12:53:25 pm »
The headlights on my 2002 FZS600 have recently stopped working.
The sidelights work, and the flash to pass lever works for the main beam - but I have no dipped or main beam using the toggle switch on the RHS bar.
The dimmer switch on the LHS bar does nothing either.
Any ideas?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Headlights Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2023, 01:39:17 pm »
the switch on the RHS will go from off, to side light on to headlight on. This needs to be in the fully on position first
The switch on the LHS then controls if you have high or dipped beam.
Assuming the RHS switch is on and the LHS switch is in the high beam position but you have no high (RHS bulb) illuminated except for when pushing the flash button then it looks like the switch or the connection to the loom on the LHS switch gear has a problem with the common connection to the high/low switch.
If the High beam works but low/dipped doesnt then it could be the bulb.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Lemongrab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2023, 03:28:42 pm »
It's a foxeye model, so both bulbs are supposed to be illuminated at the same time for dipped and main beam.

Since the flash works I've ruled out the bulbs for now.

It's sounding like the RHS switch, a relay or a loom has failed somewhere.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2023, 06:32:17 pm »
You need to check the wiring and see if you are getting 12v on the wire that controls the headlight from the RHS switch then see if you are getting 12v on the common wire to teh LHS switch then on the output from the LHS switch for high and dipped/low beam.
If the flasher switch is illuminating the bulbs then high beam should work if the switches work and you dont have a bad connection on one of the plugs
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Lemongrab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2024, 06:36:05 pm »
I've got some time to take it in to a garage soon.

Can anyone point me to where I can buy both relays? I've checked eBay but not sure the right parts are there.

Failing that does anyone know the part numbers for a 2002 bike?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2024, 07:22:59 pm »
It's a foxeye model, so both bulbs are supposed to be illuminated at the same time for dipped and main beam.

Foxeye models use 2 H4 bulbs.  The high/beam elements are in the same bulb so it's possible the low beam elements have blown but not the high.  It's rare but I've seen it so check the bulbs first. Falling that check the fuses and that there's power to the switch, both sides.  If there is power in but not out it's the switch, corrosion, broken, earthed etc.  If theres no power in or out it's the wiring you need to check, same if power out.
Later

Lemongrab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2024, 07:52:02 am »

Foxeye models use 2 H4 bulbs.  The high/beam elements are in the same bulb so it's possible the low beam elements have blown but not the high.  It's rare but I've seen it so check the bulbs first. Falling that check the fuses and that there's power to the switch, both sides.  If there is power in but not out it's the switch, corrosion, broken, earthed etc.  If theres no power in or out it's the wiring you need to check, same if power out.
That's interesting, thanks. I would have thought in that scenario the LHS low-to-high switch would still work. But I guess a resistor detects the dipped bulbs have blown so then can't pass power to the highs.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2024, 08:21:46 am »
It's worth a check.  But my money is on the switch or wiring as mentioned. It's also very possible there's corrosion in one or all the connecters that power/join that side of the circuit. 
« Last Edit: 15 February 2024, 09:52:10 am by Gnasher »
Later

Lemongrab

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2024, 08:26:36 am »
I ordered both 4 and 5 pin relays, but on taking the screen off I noticed the two in there appeared to be working as they click. The 5 pin was original and the 4 pin was a Nais item that had been put in at some point.

I tried both new relays and nothing.

I then took of the left side infill panel and fiddled with the connector block wiring and....voila. Flickering light from the bulbs for the first time in months.

The connector blocks are plugged in tight and I can't see any broken wires but there is clearly an issue. With careful positioning you can get the dipped lights to remain on, but as soon as the wiring moves they go out.

So there is power to both switches, the sidelights and high beams through the flash switch, but a broken wire somewhere that can't carry enough current to activate the dipped filaments.

A simple fix but I'm no electrician so the garage will sort it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2024, 09:24:28 am »
It would appear to be the wiring that's the issue, based on your findings.  Disconnect the plug blocks, look for corrosion, it's normally green ish.  Also examine the female connectors, look for an extra wide space where the male part goes in.  If there's one use a small screwdriver to close the gap slightly.  On the male side connector block make sure all the spade end fittings are level/square in the block.  It's possible one or more has got bent and instead of mating correctly in the female connector/s, it's going over/under which will give you a bad connection

It's also possible either a female or male connector is damage/broken, again this will give you a bad connection.

If it's as simple as moving the block or wires going into the block, it's going to be something as mentioned above. 
Later