Date: 06-05-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: linking carbs using the balance pipes  (Read 2627 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
linking carbs using the balance pipes
« on: 16 March 2014, 05:35:37 pm »
there is an article on pats site about linking the carbs using the balance pipes on the intakes, I have done this mod, at first I fitted the pipes linking 1-4 and 2-3, now I have done the link all 4 together, at first I used the 5mm t pieces from Halfords but as they are small I ordered some proper 5mm fuel pipe ones off eBay, they are off a vw. with the Halfords ones I had the vibration at 3k where using the vw ones the vibration virtually disappeared. I know one thing at 6k revs the front wheel comes way up under power where it never did before, I don't know if fazer thous do power wheely much, mine has never just a small one, so the question is after ivanising do the fazer pick up its front wheel more or are they not prone to big power wheelies?

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Re: linking carbs using the balance pipes
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2014, 08:56:18 pm »
You don't say what gear you're in when the front comes up? Don't say bike gear.  :rolleyes
 If it happens in 3rd or above I want to know what else you've done to it!

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2014, 09:08:22 pm »
Only tried in 1st, after getting the water leak I didn't want to try it again for obvious reasons.

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2014, 09:35:00 pm »
I've owned 2 Gen1's now. Ivanised or not they lift the front wheel in 1st gear if you keep throttle pinned through the revs. 2nd gear also if you lean back a bit.  Good eh? lol

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2014, 10:06:27 pm »
When I first Ivanised mine 60,000 miles ago, it would lift the front at 4k if you held it steady then whacked the throttle open. I haven't done that recently, but I'll give it a go on the way to work tomorrow and see if it still does it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2014, 12:03:35 am »
there is an article on pats site about linking the carbs using the balance pipes on the intakes

Do you have a link for this? I am intrigued ^^

steve pring

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - DRZ400E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2014, 07:21:06 am »
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Fourth one down on the left I think!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2014, 10:38:51 am »
Definitely something I'm interested in, might start sourcing the materials now to fabricate it next weekend...

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2014, 12:50:31 pm »
If there's one silly urban myth that tops all others in the motorcycle world it's definitely this one. Don't waste your time with it, it does nothing, it's just bad science. Anyway, after an initial placebo effect of thinking the bike is smoother etc you'll be taking it all off again within a few weeks because it does look a bit silly.
  Try a different ignition advance/retard(sic) plate if you want a 'smoother' bike, it does work. But most of all make sure the bike is properly serviced before messing with any engine 'improver' mods.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2014, 01:00:35 pm »
If there's one silly urban myth that tops all others in the motorcycle world it's definitely this one. Don't waste your time with it, it does nothing, it's just bad science. Anyway, after an initial placebo effect of thinking the bike is smoother etc you'll be taking it all off again within a few weeks because it does look a bit silly.
  Try a different ignition advance/retard(sic) plate if you want a 'smoother' bike, it does work. But most of all make sure the bike is properly serviced before messing with any engine 'improver' mods.
I imagine you'd get a better result by just balancing them.  I reckon the claimed 7lbft (which is almost 10%) might be a bit optimistic :D
« Last Edit: 17 March 2014, 01:04:37 pm by Lawrence »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2014, 01:54:04 pm »
Ah well... I've managed to source everything for around a tenner so can't complain too much if it ends up being useless...

The theory behind it made sense in my head so figured I'd give it a try. I did almost consider balancing the carbs on Saturday... but ended up not bothering due to the lovely weather

Looks like the balance screws are just as much of a pain to access as on the 600...

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2014, 04:28:17 pm »
This started life in the States, pushed hard by some nutter on the FZ1OA forum, but based on the YICS or whatever it was that Yamaha fitted to some of their bikes in the 90s.  This version for the Fazer was the source of endless debates and futile attempts by the 'inventor' to show significant torque gains and elimination of vibes.  I tried it (both versions) out of curiosity and found it made no difference whatsoever. :)

I guess the placebo effect applied for some owners but as has been said already, a carb synch, a proper service and a bit of TPS tweaking would be much more effective.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2014, 05:07:05 pm »
Ah well, I'm sure I'll have need for some fuel pipe in the future :)

It's not like my thou is having any issues, though there is a slightly annoying buzz at 5k rpm which makes my hands go numb after a while, but then I just remember to change up from 3rd and give up hope of over-taking the slow ass cager in front of me on the lovely twisty road... every. damn. time.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2014, 06:54:36 pm »
The yics system was designed to cause a swirl in the incoming mixture improving combustion at mid to low revs, improving fuel economy and mid range power, I know in the late 70s when yamaha added yics to the xj650 it did improve the mid range power as they were a bit gutless at low revs, there was an article in the early 80s which did a rolling road comparison by blanking off the yics chamber and it did make a small difference, the reason why it won't work properly on the fazer is the pipes are too small and n the wrong place, they need to angle towards the port, the science behind the linking of inlets is it can improve fuel economy as you can in some cases use less throttle, in the real world it will be difficult to confirm or deny, I know when I used the slightly smaller bore t pieces the bike did vibrate more at 3k revs and when I replaced the t pieces with bigger internal bores the vibration did virtually disappear. Ideally the linking of the inlets should be with a 10mm internal bore pipe not 5 or 5.5mm pipe.