Date: 07-05-24  Time: 18:12 pm

Author Topic: Need to vent re fog lights  (Read 7386 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Need to vent re fog lights
« on: 25 January 2012, 08:47:28 am »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Cagers using fog lights, FFS they don't make your car look good, they dazzle me, especially when it's dark and wet, plus they just make you look like a C8NT!!!!  Double plus, it's ILLEGAL!  TURN THEM OFF!  :grumble

If I didn't have a Fazer I'd dazzle you back with my main beam!  :\

IMO car manufacturers should be forced to make one switch for fog lights, one that turns on the front and rear at the same time, this might make people less likely to turn on just their fronts, or, reverse the switch as it is on most cars at the moment, you turn on the rear ones before you are able to turn on the fronts.

It's really starting to p1ss me off on my daily commute!
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Need to vent re fog lights
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2012, 09:16:03 am »
They're just warning you of the fog you can't see... it's between their ears.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2012, 10:06:18 am »
these people are so stupid :(

The police never stop them, they just drive past, so why should the idiots care if it's illegal or not, they're never challenged..

I hate that switch config. that means i must have my fronts on before i can turn my rear one on, i like to flash it to the person sitting on my arse, but don't want to dazzle any oncoming fazer riders :\

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
If it is any consolation, a friend of mine was stopped for driving with rear fog lights on in clear conditions, subsequently breathalysed and banned. Her defence was that she did not know she had rear fog lights????????????????
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
dont be so harsh I still havent found the fog light switch on my bike :-(
Its just a ride

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2012, 03:44:10 pm »
are you on about front fogs been used as "driving lights" or the rear fogs been left on?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2012, 03:48:22 pm »
cool it has front fogs ?  no I just cant find the switch for the rear fog..........or the heater
Its just a ride

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 January 2012, 04:22:27 pm »
Front fogs being used as driving lights...sorry I was so irrate after this week's riding I forgot to say.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 January 2012, 07:04:48 pm »
Since last year all new cars must have front 'running lights' that are on all the time the ignition is on.  A lot are using white LEDs which are bloody bright, probably worse than front fogs which, unless they are aftermarket ones set up wrong, will have the beam kept low.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2012, 02:34:47 am »
Fog lamps should be on a magnetic switch linked to the ignition. If you have the fogs on, when you turn off the engine, the  fogs go off and *stay* off until you manually activate them.

(They should also be connected to a pre-recorded announcement that says "Is visibility less than 100 feet? No? Then don't turn your foccing fog lamps on in the first place!")

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2012, 09:23:22 am »
I dont think i have ever used my front fogs and as for these ......... who think it is clever to drive every where with them on I just ignor them now as I just cant be arsed I do miss my rover P6 I f i saw some one with there "driving" fog lights[size=78%] on I would turn on my "driving" lights all 8 of them 2 side  2 dipped 2 main and 2 driving about 600w driving towards them [/size] :eek
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2012, 09:30:34 am »
I think they should add some instruction to the driving test..

If people are sticking their full beam on in your face and/or flashing you from behind - CHECK YOUR FOCCIN LIGHTS

I was stuck behind some arse the other night - no fog (a bit of mist in the fields but none on the road) I could see the git from 1/2 mile away.

He was stuck behind someone going slower so it was hard to just let him go off, and he completely ignored me sticking my full beam on at the back of his car, dipping for oncoming cars and then sticking them back on again. Occasionally flashing him a few times first.

I'm sure some people do it on purpose (apart from when you stick em on to annoy a tailgater that is)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2012, 10:31:47 am »
I agree with you Crishner, I don't think I've ever used my front fogs.  Mine are part of the main front lights rather than 2 that hang down below the bumper.

I didn't realise about all car manufactures having to add front running lights, that explains the increase in cars with these, (one's on Audis are very noticable) BUT, IMO an own goal by the authorities who decide this because it's just encouraged a load of tw&ts to turn their front fogs on to look "the same" as these newer cars!

I don't mind those running lights too much, it's when you get a wall of effectively 4 headlights per car coming towards you.

I do flash them and point at the front of their car, but all that probably goes through their head (if anything) is "why's that biker just lit a candle on the front of his bike?" God bless Fazer headlights  :o

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 January 2012, 04:17:47 pm »
You know about the headlight mod though yeah?

Just Anne

• foc-u masterbaker
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Monster 821
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2012, 08:40:52 pm »
Also, if you can see in a bit of mist well enough to belt along at 80mph you don't need your fog lights on!!!!!!!

Rant over

Anne
A girl can dream can't she?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2012, 10:31:10 pm »
Also, if you can see in a bit of mist well enough to belt along at 80mph you don't need your fog lights on!!!!!!!

Unfortunately even when you *can't* see well enough in thick fog to belt along at 80mph, some idiots *still* do that!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2012, 01:04:29 pm »
Ok I just picked up a new car other day and its 1st car I had with front fogs on. I thought I would be dis agreeing with you and saying what the difference using them is, ,,,
however driving home from Cornwall last night tried a little experiment out (in a little bit of snow and then rain and then clear )
to my honest surprise fog lights did not light anything more than exending the edges of the beam (& not by much) yeah full beam did its job but combination of full beam & fog lights didnt make the road any brighter!

I for one now will not be using front fogs as driving lights!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2012, 04:18:27 pm »
aren't they just supposed to let you see the edge of the road, hence lighting up the verge quite near you? it's spotlights that you need to see further.
most people's front fogs are set too high IMO

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 January 2012, 04:48:01 pm »
I was always led to believe that front fogs are supposed to be a low angled light that illuminates the road "below" the fog and as you say, lets you see the verge etc, it's not about seeing into the distance because any lights pointed into fog just reflect back.

If I turn mine on (despite being in the main headlight cluster) the only extra road I see illuminated is just in front of the car, it adds no benefit to what I can see at night.  Most people just think it makes their car look cool, not caring if they are dazzling other drivers/bikers or not.

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2012, 09:15:18 pm »
If I didn't have a Fazer I'd dazzle you back with my main beam
Just drop a pair of HID on the Fazer like I have and dazzle away my son  :rollin
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2012, 10:17:37 am »
poor driving, bad manufacture.

Poor inattentiveness means people leave these on. My Opels and the Current BM resets the lights when the ignition is turned off like ALL responsible manufacturers should. They all have warning lights so it is just careless driving or driving without due care and attention. If they can't read the information within the car what hope do they have reading the information outside it.

Wnakers.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2012, 10:46:56 am »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Cagers using fog lights, FFS they don't make your car look good, they dazzle me, especially when it's dark and wet, plus they just make you look like a C8NT!!!!  Double plus, it's ILLEGAL!  TURN THEM OFF!  :grumble

If I didn't have a Fazer I'd dazzle you back with my main beam!  :\

IMO car manufacturers should be forced to make one switch for fog lights, one that turns on the front and rear at the same time, this might make people less likely to turn on just their fronts, or, reverse the switch as it is on most cars at the moment, you turn on the rear ones before you are able to turn on the fronts.

It's really starting to p1ss me off on my daily commute!
Oh my god thank you I thought that it was just me that that thought this way I agree with you 100%
The highway code states they should only be used when visability is bellow (can not recall ) meters. And it is also a question that pops up in the driving theory test.
There needs to be some sort of a news flash broadcast just befor the only way is essex to remind these **** of the law.
And dont get me started on the EU ruling that all new cars have to have running lights -stupid- stupid. Befor this stupid (again ) rule when you were driving along in your car in the day if you saw a light you knew that it was a bike or a volvo and you could easily see it. Now my lights on in the day have been lost amist the sea of daylight running lights.
 Is this why the EU are now pushing for us bikers to wear day glow inorder to compete with these running lights
Oh and by the way when you fit after market led strips on your corsa it dosent look good it looks sh1t especially when the are not even put on straight     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

crishner

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2012, 11:43:11 am »
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et205a.htm

fog lights are totaly different to driving lights in 1 main area  Driving lights are tied into your main beam and only activate with your main beam

running lights are diferent again as they are activated by the ignition

and fog lights are to be used in fog or when visibility is down to 100 meters and must be turned off when visibility improves
226You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

236You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUSTswitch them off when visibility improves.
expectation is the foundation of disappointment if you can be happy with nothing then serenaty is yours

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2012, 11:48:08 am »
There needs to be some sort of a news flash broadcast just befor the only way is essex to remind these **** of the law.
I'm sure you never break any law then?  :rollin

Same goes for cars with dipped beam bulbs blown, some with dip and side on same side not working, more dangerous than the odd front fog light being on. The rear fogs are more of a pain in damp weather tbh.

Then mobile phone usage...... grrrrrrrrrrrr and so it goes on.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
Re headlights and foglights... I think the problem is that it is easier to fit 'bright' lights than it used to be and
there is a "light war" escalating out there driven by marketing, fashion and technology.

I mean, if you're fitting aftermarket foglights then you might as well fit 'extra bright' ones or HIDs or whatever.
Similarly, if you sell new cars then you are more likely to sell one with "nice bright" fogs or headlights.

VOSA and Plod , the folks that manage the MOT and enforcement of it are starting to challenge this.
From April 1st cars with HIDs will fail an MOT if they are not self-levelling.
(Anyone know if this is true for bikes too?)

Also, there is some chatter on the car forums that people are being pulled in for having bright lights and issued with 'fix' notices.

Basically, VOSA say "In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits".

Full text here http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/144981-vosa-possible-future-mot-criteria-vosa-police-hid-guidance.html

I did see this on the VOSA website, but I can't find it now.