Date: 27-04-24  Time: 00:49 am

Author Topic: What Screen ?  (Read 8780 times)

fatboy1962

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200GSA
    • View Profile
What Screen ?
« on: 17 November 2011, 01:53:41 pm »
Hi, Just got a 02 plate FZs 1000 FZ-1 Fazer N, lovely bike, the only problem is I am 6`1". Gets rather drafty. Can anyone recommend another screen for the bike.

Ta

fatboy

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What Screen ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2011, 04:22:14 pm »
Has been covered already on this new site, no clear consensus

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,420.0.html

Higher screen = more noise & possibly more buffeting. I have a Givi d129 & find it quite noisy.

Also, the mirrors will also be causing a surprising amount of turbulence, take them off temporarily to see if there's a huge difference. If there is, do the Fuzzyone mirror mod 

fatboy1962

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200GSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2011, 07:08:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I think anything will be better than it is now. I will try it without the mirrors tomorrow. I am going to the nec on sunday and hopefully i can pick up a cheap screen there.

fatboy

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
 Try the Ffabbri double bubble, they come in a few tints but regardless well worth a try for the money especially a used one.  If your really broad in the shoulders with your bike jacket on may give you some buffeting at higher speeds but its the best I have used to date & I have tried quite a few.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2011, 11:44:15 pm »
Hi Fatboy, I'm 6'1" and wide at the shoulders. The Givi makes a big difference to the amount of air hitting you. Judging by the fly spatter, it's just my arms and from the very top of my chest and up that's in the wind. Yes, it's a bit noisy, but it's a bike and I'd trade a bit of noise for being able to sit for a couple of hours at 120 relatively easily without ducking down. In Germany. Of course.

I've also tried the genuine Yamaha touring screen which is marginally better than the standard, but nowhere near as effective as the Givi.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2011, 12:02:32 am »
I'm 6'1" too - got a '54 plate FZS1000 with standard screen.
Had bikes before where taller screen just made so much more noise.  Got tinitus and noise is bad!
Was out today for a run and tried 'sitting up' an inch or two from my seat, not standing, nowhere near, but just enough to make me look forward to having a try with the 'streetfighter' screen I'm waiting on.  It makes the screen 'flush' with the fairing, as if there's no screen at all. Where am I coming from?  Well, I noticed that I had much less noise when I had my XJR1300, a true naked bike.  With the fazer 1000, it's as if the wind is hitting directly underneath my lid from the standard screen.  Sitting 'up' just a little bit put my head into the 'open' air and there was less noise.  Won't stop the 'fly spatter' (Flies in November?) but I'll let you know more when I've fitted and tried.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2011, 08:43:09 am »
I hesitate to comment on screens because it's a very subjective thing.  Also, I'm 5' 7" so not exactly a physical match for the OP. :)

As Septikangel hints, going shorter with the screen is often a more comfortable way forward because the you move the air turbulence lower than your helmet.  It'll be quieter and you won't feel like you're in a wind tunnel.

If you want barndoor-like, head in an air pocket protection from the wind, buy an FJR1300 or a big Beemer tourer.  ;)

fatboy1962

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200GSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2011, 01:56:01 pm »
If you want barndoor-like, head in an air pocket protection from the wind, buy an FJR1300 or a big Beemer tourer.  ;)

Got The r1200GSA 8) Nice and draught free, but the fazer can be alot more fun. I'm over 6`tall and much to the fault of my local KFC my waist is the same width as my shoulders. Anything I can do to cut back on the draught i will try. The wind blast does seem to hit me square in the face so a lower screen is a possible option. I am up at the nec this sunday so i will have a good look around and see what i can find there, want some luggage for the fazer aswell, tank bag ect.

fatboy

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2011, 03:47:11 pm »
I recently changed the FFabbri double bubble for a Zero Gravity touring screen. The zeroG is the same height but wider at the base. I am 5'10" and find the noise and buffeting is a little better but I would be hard pressed to say if the improvement is because it is a 'better' screen or simply becuase I spent money on it.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2011, 09:17:48 pm »
I'm curious. What exactly do you mean by draught? Are you talking about the sheer force of the wind?

The reason I like the Givi compared to the lower screen suggested by Falcon is that on boring motorways, I tend to cruise at 90-100 and the lower screens mean that I have to fight the wind blast which is trying to tear my hands off the bars. Worse still is that in certain conditions, the vortices from the front of the bike alter the pressure left to right, so I have to constantly correct the steering which is very annoying and eventually quite tiring, especially on a long fast trip.

The lower screens are ok up to about 75 or so for relieving the force acting on your body, and there's less noise because there's less turbulence. But the wind is hitting you from stomach upwards and they're quite narrow. The Givi is wider as well as taller so there's much more protection from the force of the wind, but they may be noisier. Personally, it doesn't bother me because I ride with earplugs and a very quiet Schuberth.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2011, 04:39:49 pm »
First impressions............
I LUV IT!  :lol
The only way I can recreate the noise from the taller standard screen is if I stoop into a racing crouch.  And I ain't gonna do that 'cos it's a Fazer 1000 not an R1.
Okay, I'm not in 'still air' at all and I'm gonna get covered in bugs, but for a 6'2" rider, the streetfighter screen is recommended.
Just take a look at how many taller screens (used once etc) are for sale - less is best.
AyJay...... you need to build up your grip strength mate but look after your licence first.  ;)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2011, 06:46:19 pm »
Septicangel
Where did you get the streetfighter screen and how much was it. Ive tried several of the "miricle cure" screens to no avail and am currently using a Powerbronze d/b which was the first one I tried.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2011, 07:19:29 pm »
Hi Jeffco, dunno if they're still available at Yamaha stealers, (doubtful) but they occasionally come up on Ebay, as mine did.
They can be quite expensive for what they are, have bid on a few up to £50 and didn't win.
Was real lucky to get this one, brand new and alleged genuine Yamaha item (but didn't have corporate logo etched on bottom) and it was £20 'Buy It Now' plus a fiver post.
There will be more I'm sure, keep trawlin' - if I spot one, I'll PM yer.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
First impressions............
I LUV IT!  :lol
The only way I can recreate the noise from the taller standard screen is if I stoop into a racing crouch.  And I ain't gonna do that 'cos it's a Fazer 1000 not an R1.
Okay, I'm not in 'still air' at all and I'm gonna get covered in bugs, but for a 6'2" rider, the streetfighter screen is recommended.
Just take a look at how many taller screens (used once etc) are for sale - less is best.
AyJay...... you need to build up your grip strength mate but look after your licence first.  ;)

LESS IS BEST TELL THAT TO THE DONKEY  !!  :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: 21 November 2011, 08:47:10 pm by cable tie »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2011, 08:57:06 pm »
Septicangel
Where did you get the streetfighter screen and how much was it. Ive tried several of the "miricle cure" screens to no avail and am currently using a Powerbronze d/b which was the first one I tried.

Take a standard screen and cut it down.  Not difficult to do and cheap 'cos there's loads of them around.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2011, 06:32:10 pm »
Good thinking Mike ive got a standard screen gathering dust. :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2011, 08:13:29 am »
Layout the curve you want to cut with masking tape.  Cut about 1mm outside the intended finish ... a dremel with cut-off disc works well for this ... and then finish with fine emery paper.

Spud

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph T595
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2011, 06:34:11 am »

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2011, 09:56:17 am »
Eyup, my two-penneth with respect to screens - I'm 6'2" and tried a fair few on mi Gen1's over the years, and i think the Fabbri Double Bubble is a pretty good all-round compromise, in that there's enough screen to pretty much totally get behind when crouched down for that occasional top speed blast (in germany of course), and better general wind protection when sat upright (it's quite a bit higher than standard and takes some of windblast from helmet) and finally - it looks great in dark tint IMO !

Oh yeah, and they are reasonably priced too.

Cheers,

Fletch
It's been real, it's been great, but it's not been REAL great.........

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2011, 01:17:26 pm »
I found that the yamaha touring screen was best for me (6ft4)
Its just a ride

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2011, 04:32:42 pm »
I also like the yam touring screen ," works well but noisy" I am using a MRA vario at the moment , but i'm not sure its better than standard on my thou, "although I have a home made vario  on my 02 600 and it works well !
I am 5ft 8 in

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2011, 04:17:24 pm »
Jeffco, you've got a PM

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2011, 07:44:29 pm »
I've got R1 forks on mine(Thanks Mike) And have noticed a lot more wind turbulence around my helmet and shoulders but a lot more noise if i duck down a few inches so always wear ear plugs with my Arai as it's so flippin' noisy. I'm 5'6" and a little bit chubby but only a little bit.   :lol
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

cyclingscott

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 December 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
Another vote for a Zero Gravity Double Bubble Screen. Not perfect but better than the standard version. I'm 6'3" by the way. Not too bothered about the noise (earplugs sort that out) but definitely better for wind blast at higher speeds.

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2011, 09:27:48 pm »

Well, with this bleedin' weather now, the bike's well and truly hidden behind that great big white screen..... inside the garage.                                   It's  Howlin'  :\
« Last Edit: 08 December 2011, 09:28:31 pm by SEPTIKANGEL »