Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:11 pm

Author Topic: Clutch lever getting stiff  (Read 6574 times)

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
Clutch lever getting stiff
« on: 23 November 2012, 02:37:39 pm »
I am looking for some ideas about what to check.  My clutch lever has been slowly getting stiffer and stiffer. I didn't really notice until I sat on someone elses bike and their lever felt light as a feather. Gear changes and so on seem fine so any ideas would be appreciated.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch lever getting stiff
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2012, 08:08:27 pm »
Lube ya pivots and the cable up.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2012, 09:00:20 pm »
What he said. :)

Pay attention to the cable ... it does need lube all along its length.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2012, 09:07:00 pm »
hydraulic cable oiler ,ptfe spray oil 15 mins work  bobs ya uncle

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2012, 10:30:37 pm »
Funny you should mention that. My throttle was getting stiffer until eventually the cable snapped. Looks like it had been fraying for a while. They're cheap, so if I were you, I'd just replace it if it isn't the pivot point on the lever, otherwise you might enjoy a lovely 2 mile ride on tickover at walking pace whilst all the cars you'd overtaken over the previous 5 miles tootle past you! It was raining when it happened to me. Of course......

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 11:16:18 pm »
Sounds like a cable issues. Could be the cable needs oiling or it is starting to fray. Remove the cable from the clutch lever side and check around the end for signs of frayng. If all checks out remove the cable from the clutch end and see if it pulls cleanly through by hand (it should be very easy to pull/push) if not put a bit of tape around the clutch lever end of the cable to create a bit of a funnel and fill it with WD40 and pull/push the cable,  repeat until the WD40 comes out the other end. Grease the pivot at the lever side before you put it all back together..

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2012, 08:00:46 am »
Sounds like a cable issues. Could be the cable needs oiling or it is starting to fray. Remove the cable from the clutch lever side and check around the end for signs of frayng. If all checks out remove the cable from the clutch end and see if it pulls cleanly through by hand (it should be very easy to pull/push) if not put a bit of tape around the clutch lever end of the cable to create a bit of a funnel and fill it with WD40 and pull/push the cable,  repeat until the WD40 comes out the other end. Grease the pivot at the lever side before you put it all back together..

yes,me too,as above........might be worth fitting a new cable ;) they dont last forever and are cheap to buy and easy to fit  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2012, 10:46:53 am »
Thanks guys, new cable on order.

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2012, 01:45:49 pm »
Same happened to mine. I forked out for a new OEM (not cheap), but the transformation was amazing. Not only easy to pull in but the gear selection was so much smoother too. Definitely worth the investment I would say. Not too bad after 27,000 miles.

Rich

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2012, 05:57:02 pm »
Yes it is a wise maintenance move to oil all the cables, exept my new toyota , the throttle is fly by wire,no cable,

Billy
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2012, 07:21:39 pm »
I do the clutch cable every 6 months or so with a cable oiler and GT 85 but haven't touched the throttle cables yet...

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2012, 09:22:37 pm »
Well that was embaressing... I am still waiting for the new cable to arrive but as I had a bit of time today to do a few jobs on the bike so I thought, why not lube the clutch cable just to take the strain off it until the new one arrives. Guess I wont be needing the new cable after all.

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2012, 10:00:18 am »
Well that was embaressing... I am still waiting for the new cable to arrive but as I had a bit of time today to do a few jobs on the bike so I thought, why not lube the clutch cable just to take the strain off it until the new one arrives. Guess I wont be needing the new cable after all.
You think that's bad? I thought I had the same issue, nearly ordered the cable, took it to my friendly mechanic who fixed it in 10 seconds. I hadn't noticed that the heated grip hat rotated a little and the sticky-outy-bit was beginning to block the lever...  :o

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2012, 06:23:14 pm »
Probably a bit late now but for anyone looking to buy a new clutch cable for a gen1 I'd recommend avoiding the aftermarket ones - I bought one from wemoto for 20 odd quid and it lasted less than 1000 miles. The OE cost me a whopping 50 odd quid but is a lot better and, I'm reasonably confident, will last better too.
S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright