Date: 20-05-24  Time: 17:51 pm

Author Topic: WOW 5.5k  (Read 1484 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
WOW 5.5k
« on: 16 August 2012, 09:33:55 pm »
Just replaced my rear tyre and for the first time EVER i have got over 5000 miles from a rear tyre on the gen 1
5586 miles from a 023

the 023 before that only got 4407 but the first 023 was a normal one and the 2nd one (5586) was a 023 heavy. there are 2 types one is designed for things like fjr1300's and the realy big heavy tour bikes.
fitted it by mistake and to be honest it dose not feel as good as the normal 023. it feels a bit stiff and unforgiving, allmost to the point of feeling overinflated even though i was running it a good 5psi lower than normal.
but at 1000 miles more from it, it could be worth the lack of feel.

Just replaced it with a PR3 though so will see how that lasts, but it feels realy good. as expected as i loved the pr2's

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: WOW 5.5k
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2012, 08:17:33 am »
Hi GB. I have always enjoyed the Michelins PR I & II's. Good tyres with long life. I also fitted some PR3's to a CBR600, but sold it a few months later.

So when it came to buying tyres for the Fazer last week, I rang around for prices on PR3's again, but was advised by two separate suppliers to choose the Metzeler Z8's because it had become known that although the PR3's were an improvement in actual tyre performance, they weren't lasting as long as the PR2  :eek

Of course tyre life depends on so many variables, so it might not be the case with you. I'll be interested to see how you go on. How many miles a year do you do?

Tom
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

pinkbikerfzs1

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2012, 08:02:42 pm »
I got just short of 12,000 from my first set of  PR2.s had Michelin in to have a look as they were still not illegal, just a tad squared off, even the front had a small flat spot. put a new pair on and 5,000 odd later, the rear is just starting to get a slight flat, so looks like these,ll do similar mileage. must add that I ride solo, but briskly (according to Heddlu anyway) and several times a year with full luggage and camping gear.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2012, 08:12:16 pm »
That's around what I get from BT023s. But if you want a long lasting tyre, get this. I've just done 8500 miles on my ZZR1400 and it's only just worn out the Avon Storm Ultras. I've hurled it round the Nurbring, the Alps and commuted 110 miles a day on them and they have lasted incredibly well. 8500 miles front and rear! They feel a bit stiff but dry grip is almost as good as the BT023s, it's only wet grip that's a bit down.

Frankly, given what a massively powerful and heavy bike a ZZR is, they're some kind of miracle. Question is, do I sling a set on the Fazer? Anyone tried it?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2012, 10:48:44 pm »
The Avon storm ultras I had last year were awful. Front wore out in 3k and rear in under 4k with the front wearing in a very odd pattern. Think they were ultra 2's though.

Normally used pr2 and loved them.  7 front 4 rear. But have been experimenting with diff ones lately.

I have allways been hard on tyres  so anything that breaks 5k is Awsome. 4k is normal.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2012, 11:06:39 pm »
Isn't that the strangest thing ghostbiker? Completely different experience to me. They are Ultra 2s and I've heard of problems on the ZX14 forum with chunking, but I've had exceptional wear and they've been great. And I have hammered them too, 190mph on the autobahn (well, you just have to once, don't you?), 100 miles round the Nurbring and some proper attacks on the Alps. To give you an idea, I ride in the fast group on track days, so I don't exactly hang around either.

Fuzzygoth

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2012, 08:00:45 am »
I've been running Angel St's on my though and its at about 7.5k currently in the last 12
months (though I expect the rear will need replaced in the next 500 - 1000 miles) and
Road Pilot 3's the 'dog and since about march this year and they must be running at
about ... the 5k mark both seem pretty good to me for general and wet weather riding
(commuting Glasgow - Aberdeen every week for 7 months so had plenty of practice as
well as my rallys in England and leisure riding).

Fuzzy
Fuzzy
"High spirits are no substitute for 800 rounds per minute"