Date: 20-05-24  Time: 17:50 pm

Author Topic: triumph speed triple / aprilia tuono v4r  (Read 8640 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
triumph speed triple / aprilia tuono v4r
« on: 23 April 2012, 01:11:23 pm »
Was wondering if anyone has tried or owned a speed triple. Thinking about getting a brand new 1050
« Last Edit: 30 April 2012, 09:21:51 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: triumph speed triple
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2012, 01:23:34 pm »
i tried one a few years back but ended up going for a KTM Superduke as it was better. That doesn't mean I thought the Triumph was bad, I'd be more than happy to own one, esp before they redesigned the headlights, just that the SD is superior in most ways (as is the Aprillia Tuono I reckon - although others may disagree?). One thing that may be worth noting: the Speed Trips have def held their value better.

Another bike that may be worth looking at is Hondas CB1000R, although I found it a tad 'sterile'.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2012, 06:17:32 pm »
Ktm and Aprilia are also pricier :\ . I was more trying to find out how the performance and handling of the new 1050 compares to the fazer.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2012, 06:31:47 pm »
i think the KTM and the Triumph may be more similarly priced now?

http://www.thektmcentre.co.uk/990superduke.html

http://www.puretriumph.net/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=n20&make=Triumph&model=Speed%20Triple

the Tuono I tried was the old one and was slightly cheaper back then - the newer V4 version i've not tried.

The triumph cert handles better than the FZS1000 but feels little more 'punchy' up to around 60 odd mph and less 'punchy' over 70 or so. It's a fine engine though with more character/involvement etc and the bike steers way better, esp at low speeds, with the forks (the FZS' weakest point perhaps?) telling you way more about what's going on...
But, really, this is all very subjective stuff - best advice is to go and try one and see for yourself, and also try a few other bikes as well (def the KTM and the Honda).
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2012, 08:38:14 pm »
The local triumph dealer has offered road tests on the speed and the street triples, so i will probably take them for a spin. Cheers :)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2012, 08:30:51 am »
Nicko
I bought a speed triple in 2009 new, after owning a CB1000R for a year from new. Chalk and cheese is the phrase which comes to mind!....the S3 having bucketloads of character , the Honda bland to the point of sterility. On paper the CB1000R should be the better, but somehow the whole experience never quite happened for me. The S3 by contrast is just so in yer face , awesome instant grunt ,a real motorbike with such throttle response its untrue, loud bellowing cans,fantastic drone on and off acceleration..... and acceptable handling .I always enjoy a ride out on my S3, whatever ! Its no allrounder , and for some it may not be cutting edge  in handling , but definitely an experience bike to own.It is  a hooligan bike, made just for hooning about on, yet it is comfy enuff for long all day rides, if you can resist the temptation to just charge about.
The new lad I tested last year and its really quite different...so much so I actually have hesitated to buy. Its awesome in terms of handling, and smoothness , but IMO has lost much of  that character I love in my 09 model.It came across a pure naked sportbike, almost clinical in its ability.Yet the engine felt like a 4 cylinder bike, not so much low down shunt , not so in yer face. Its awkward for me to criticize it as the new bike does address the old bikes only real weakness, its steering and handling are  a bit old school, not bad , just not cutting edge.The price also makes me hesitate as it is a second bike for me ! I have  a short list of bikes I want to own, the new speed triple is on it , but I just cant decide at the moment.I also think its worth trying the street triple, it is a great bike to ride, and is 3 grand cheaper ! ( 6899 as opposed to 8999)...giving more scope to accessorize or just enjoy the fun character of the stock bike.Needless to say I too am thinking if a street could replace a speed...3 grand is a big chunk of money....it must come down to just what you want the bike to do. At the moment I am still revelling in the noise and character of my 09 bike,it still gives me a buzz, what a second bike is all about. I aint sure I want what feels like a trackbike , for just hooning around on....will I get a similar buzz...or will it end up being more like the CB1000R - accomplished but ultimately not the experience I am after ??

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2012, 07:04:12 am »
I also meant to mention that I dont agree that Triumphs hold value well....my 09 is valued at about 5k now. Thats 3 k less than I bought it !   Not what I would call a good residual. The new bike is now 8999 without accessories ( although there is the offer now of £370 " free" accessories). TBH the bike has risen in price now by £1000 in 2 yrs, so the so called free accessories aint really  free at all...and the bike was listed at  8699 just a few months ago. In my reckoning you are merely paying for the accessories in the purchase price...
trouble is , all the bike manufacturers prices are about this point or higher...triumph are seemingly gently rising their prices to just sit below the japs eg a CB1000R is £9200 list....I see it as  a dangerous game, as £300 is a small diffrence , so it makes buying a CB1000R less of a daft proposal as say a year ago when there was almost a grand diffrence. Likewise the street triple has risen from 5600 to 6899, since its inception , so something like a GS800 or suzuki GSR750 is much more in the choice criterion.TBH the GS800 gets some good write ups even bettering the 800 Tiger in some areas...I think triumph are heading too high overall in their pricing, I have been keen on triumphs since 05 as much for the value as the bikes performance.Level up the price field and I reckon much of the range becomes vulnerable to the competition.Its such an important factor.

peterjca

« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2012, 09:44:02 am »
I'm still debating whether to get a 2012 Speed Triple (or perhaps even a Street Triple) and whether as a second bike to my FZ1 or replacement. When the weather's better I'll book some test rides at Jack Lilleys. If I decide to buy, I'll wait until "next years" bike is coming out so I get reduced price of "old stock". That's the theory anyway lol

Does anyone know how good Triumph clothing is (boots, gloves, leathers)?

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2012, 10:44:43 am »
Pitt may have a point re values - I was basing my comments upon the purchase price back in 2007 when I bought my Superduke - back then the SD was 1k more that the S3 and after 3 years the second hand value (with roughly equivalent mileage) of the S3 was 1k more - 6k to 5k for the SD.

A quick look at MCN shows the 2007 models of both machines roughly comparable.

As for Trumpet clothing I think A-Stars makes a range for them? which is likely to be pretty good however I bought a 'Triumph' leather jacket some years back and the colour (black) all bleached out, presumably through UV as it never really got wet, after 2 or 3 years - so I'm never buying their stuff again. Their range is probably much better now though.

Steven Wright

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2012, 01:48:15 pm »
dont get me wrong , I love the bikes. Its just I feel the big T are eroding a very strong price position, which must have been a big decider for many folk in looking at triumph in the first place.If price is constant , the extra choice alone will mean inevitably sales will fall.the street triple was such a fantastic bike for sub 6k...at its price now...well I reckon many buyers will fully check out the opposition, and be far more open to on the day deals etc.If you also look at the explorer, a bike which on paper would defo suit me..feck theres just so much choice now! GS/ crosstourer/ K1300R or S, let alone litre sportsbikes, duke 848 streetfighter. etc.
yet in 09 when I bought my speed triple, although I knew I really wanted one, with it being a grand less than a CB1000R or Z1000, it was so much easier a decision.They sold a fecking shedload of S3s that year ...but I literally have only seen 2 of the new bikes on the road since they were released last year...prices do rise but a grand in 2 yrs is ridiculous for a domestically produced machine...?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 April 2012, 05:57:51 pm »
Triumph's price position was good back a ways because the pound was weaker 12 months ago.  This year the pound has recovered a fair amount against the euro, the yen and other worldwide currencies.  Japanese and European imports are a bit more competively priced this year than last for this reason.

What are Triumph to do?  Drop their prices to maintain last year's differential and hope to achieve the same profit from a lower margin?  Ask George White how well that philosophy worked out for them! :)

Domestically assembled or domestically produced ?  If sub-assemblies, electrics etc are being bought in from overseas, that can induce price increases over which Triumph have no control.

Assuming pricing amongst comparable machines is pretty much the same, performance and quality will be the deciding factor in most buyer's minds.  How do you maintain quality while cutting back on production costs to retain an acceptable profit margin? 

Answers on the back of a tenner to me, please ... ;)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 April 2012, 06:25:59 pm »
After all the great comments, i've been looking at the aprillia tuono V4R can pick up a new one for £9600 otr. Only £600 more than the speed triple! I would love to get the aprc model, but its too expensive :eek  Here's a link..  http://www.aprilia.com/en-US/Model/72714/Tuono+V4+R/Overview.aspx
    ( Ps.. I would be keeping my fazer :) )

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2012, 06:26:03 am »
mike
I dont have figures for how many components are imported or UK produced.But the price hikes seem suspiciously  to be less to do with fluctuating exchange rates but IMO on the back of  milking good sales.Part of my general angst is the drift upwards of prices must ultimately be self defeating.Its interesting to note comments on the new explorer for example..when dave compared to the GS, things like buying british had no real part in the choice, hence without a price differential, buying choice is literally down to direct comparisons, in itself no ostensibly bad thing...but I do fear triumph may be risking sales when for the last few years they have had a substantial price advantage. I want to see the company maintain its success.I still rate the product , but for me, to spend 12k on a bike , its now a choice which includes a vast array of machines. TBH maybe too many !
I would not suggest any company should adopt George whites antics here, I certainly am not suggesting Triumph should sell below cost at all...dont think you know my economics background at all here m8 ! ...

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2012, 06:50:07 am »
Nicko
My only advice with the aprilia is to do a test ride on both. Mag reports indicate a very strong powerful motor, but maybe a bit too much for what a naked bike really needs. There were several comments that it wasnt actually that nice to ride , which usually means its  a bike which maybe wont suit everyone..The S3 has a very useable motor, its still a 130 + bhp motor, with plenty of mid range.My comments were about it being a bit less grunty at the bottom end compared to an 09....its still a lovely  motor.Handling on the  new S3 is simply first class, so good my first thoughts as I blasted through my favourite twisties was " wow, lets get this on a track"...the enjoyment and satisfaction with a bike isnt always just a function of it having the most powerful motor or the biggest bhp at  a zillion rpm.
As a package the new S3 is a fantastic bike, its me what is hard to please and hard to make its mind up !  :lol ...and for what its worth , I dont think the prila would be my cup of tea. :\ ...but we is all diffrent ...

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2012, 10:39:43 pm »
I would defintely want a test ride on the v4r tuono, as i've never had an Italian bike before. I have read loads of reviews and they all seem positive. It has one of the most advanced electronics systems incorporated on any bike (APRC model). Traction control, wheelie control and quick shifter. The APRC also comes with a steering damper.  I probably couldn't afford the APRC model :'( The cost of the basic model, which has road, sport and race modes (similar to gsxr's etc..) can be found new for £9500. An aprc second hand demo bike with 1600 miles is the same price :\  The question is - Do i buy a brand new base model or get the trick version secondhand :rolleyes  This is all hypothetical until i've ridden it! I would have to sell my gsxr 1000 k6 and my standard fazer 1000 to offset the cost. Regarding the speed triple it doesn't have enough performance and handling advantages compared to my ivanised fazer to make it worth the outlay. Decisions decisions..... Does anyone want to buy my Kawasaki fx400r for £2000 :lol

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2012, 11:33:20 pm »
I had a test ride on the V4 Tuono recently and it's a cracking bike. Tank range and fairing were the problems for me, too little of both. And although it was quick, it's not the massive leap over an Ivanazer (see what I did there :-) that the figures suggest, so I think I'm going ZZR1400. Now that's a leap over the Fazer. Jeezuz.

Although it has to be said, the phenomenal roadholding of the Tuono may have masked the speed a bit, and I'm quite sure it would lose a Fazer very quickly in the twisties. I begged the Aprilia bloke for one with a bigger tank and a higher screen, and what have they done - given the Dorsoduro a makeover and called it a Caponord. No, Aprilia, use the V4 . . . grr.

But 80 to the tank? That wouldn't even get me to work and back once . . .

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2012, 07:27:55 am »
Its  a common thread aint it ?...more power means I can/ will go faster....  IMO Its not always the case ( except in straightlines) as how many of us can really say we max our bikes on the road?...tbh my ivanized fazer has around 138 at the back wheel, thats almost early gixxer 1000 region, and similar to a blackbird.Yet I cant say its the power which limits me. On track its weight  of the bike, steering geometry and ground clearance which stop my fazer from using its power.On the road its more the rider...and in spite of having this power I actually prefer my speed triple for many of my road rides, yet its probably 18 down at the rear wheel. Sounds odd ? well maybe but when you factor in  massive low down torque and power delivery the S3 can be  a very satisfying bike to ride hard on twisty roads.Yes I have no doubt on some more open roads where I can use more of the fazers power it will be marginally quicker. But riding  a bike isnt always about engine horsepower, but how it feels to the rider. Hence why so many folk aint picked up the FZ-1 despite it having a peak bhp advantage over a gen1 ( my 06 peaked at 144 at 12k rpm ! )...cos its so hard to use on the road .Makes sense on a track though ...

I look to a new bike to do something genuinely better for me, that could be handling / gadgets/ style/ practicality ...rarely is it power  tbh...the ZZR14 for example...just where do you use it ?? :\

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2012, 02:26:20 am »
You're right as usual Pitternator, it is about feel, but the ZZR does move the game on for me. Compared to the Fazer, it feels taught, stable, smooth and well . . . modern.

I finally took the plunge and bought a ZZR today and it has to be said, I did wonder what I've done when I lit up the rear tyre in the wet for the fourth time on the way back from the dealer, and I wasn't anywhere near full throttle.

Where can I use it, well, you know bikes, anywhere and nowhere, but buying bikes is more about usability, feel and experience for me too. The FZ1 doesn't have the right qualities compared to the FZS. The big Kwak, I think does. You want torque? Character? It's ossum, as the Americans would say. Only the Multistrada came close, and right now I don't have the money for one of those.

I didn't buy it just for the speed, although it certainly is a hoot from that point of view, but because until I find a next generation Fazer-like machine with the right qualities, for me it's the next best thing out there, and I like sports tourers. It's riding position is actually quite VFR, for instance. Having looked for a replacement for the FZS for the last couple of years and tried many many bikes, it's the only one that's really appealed.

Anyway, my Fazer is now too old for breakdown insurance on the continent and it's way past 90,000 miles old, so I had to get something for the big trip this year... and, as it happens, 5k can buy an early ZZR with 10,000 on the clock which is within a few hundred quid of what you'd pay for a decent FZ1 Fazer with the same miles, so what the heck. And the insurance is only an extra hundred quid a year. And I've still got the Fazer.

Hmm.

If I sound like someone trying to justify a purchase to himself, you'd be right. I have some very mixed feelings about it. I think I need some Foccer Forum therapy. Oh well, at worst, it's going to be a hell of a stop gap until the next bike!

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2012, 08:20:22 am »
you need justification ?...I think we all do tbh !  :lol
actually I would not criticize anyone for buying any bike, if its what tickles yer pickle, cos enjoyment is what its all about.I dont hold the fazer  ( FZS) to be the best bike ever made, but it does suit most of the people most of the time.Like all allrounders it has faults, luckily many of them are possible to sort  reasonably economically. I hope you enjoy the ZZR...its  maybe all about big speed, and I do like them.my taste has always been for big torque, nimble handling and a great sounding booming engine noise.4 cylinder bikes generally are not my bag , but I do appreciate the warp speed factor at times.For me the fazer is  a great tourer , it suits me so well in this role at this point in my life. But for general  road riding I like  a twin or a triple, the grunt , feel and sound are awesome......
as for next bikes .....had to smile cos at the moment I do have hankerings to try a rocket 3 !  :eek ... but it could be flights of fancy  ;)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 April 2012, 11:03:53 am »
A Rocket III? Now that's a radical departure from a Fazer.  I bet it's a riot to ride. You've got to have a test ride at least!

I have to say, there's only two problems with my Fazer - it isn't as planted and stable as more recent bikes (even with Ohlins suspension) and mine's plain old. I did look at a couple of very nice low mileage FZSs this year, but it just seemed a bit retrograde to buy another, and the used prices this year seem to be higher than last year so there was less chance of a cheeky no brainer purchase.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: triumph speed triple / aprilia tuono v4r
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2012, 09:34:57 pm »
Went out on a test ride of the new tuono v4r. I loved it, but the missus absolutely hated it. She couldn't stay on the seat! Sliding back and forward and generally feeling unsafe. I dropped her off at the side of the road, so i could give it a good roasting :lol It handles and brakes brilliantly and looks awesome, but if the missus can't hang on then its a no goer :\  Might take the speed triple out for a test drive next weekend and see if she prefers it. ;)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2012, 07:38:00 am »
nicko
well done for getting the test ride, but IMO super nakeds aint ever gonna be any sort of compromise for pillion taking ! My S3 has  atiny excuse for a pillion seat ...and nothing behind it ...aint ever taken a pillion either...would not be able to keep the front wheel on the ground I reckon!
Do test the new S3 , cos ( absolute power apart) I would be interested to hear if you think its handling and steering are much different to the tuono. :)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 June 2012, 10:29:40 pm »
Bought a 12 plate tuono v4r aprc. I was selling my gsxr1000 k6 and a guy contacted me about it. He asked why i was selling it and i told him i wanted a tuono v4r. Unbelievably he said he had bought one brand new 4 weeks ago and wanted to sell it cause he didn't like the wind blast due to the fact it has a tiny cockpit fairing. We reached an agreement, so i phoned my bank manager to ask if i could pick up a sizeable chunk of cash the next day, he said that wouldn't be a problem. We got chatting and i said i had a fazer for sale (standard one i used for work) He was interested so sent pics and he bought it! :D  Here is a pic of my new pride and joy. Still love my fazer!

Silverdream

• Weekend Warrior
  • Live it - Ride it..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

oooohhh... i think i need to change my pants.... pure motorcycle porn.. :b

Nice bike mate... enjoy..

(and dont lose the missus off the back...lol) ..

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2012, 12:18:16 am »
Oo. My trousers just went all funny. How do you think it compares to the ol' Fazer then, Nickodemon?