Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:04 pm

Author Topic: Tyre recommendation  (Read 409 times)

Camarade

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Tyre recommendation
« on: 18 March 2024, 01:22:16 pm »
Hi all,
It's time to re-shoe the '98 Fazer and was hoping for some recommandations for the best choice of tyre. No track days or knee down antics. Mostly A/B roads in spring, summer, autumn

Currently wearing, Front: Pirelli Diablo 110/70 ZR 17 MC 54W

Rear: Metzler 160/60 ZR 17 MC (69W)

Any ideas?

Camarade
« Last Edit: 18 March 2024, 03:55:38 pm by Camarade »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2024, 04:43:17 pm »
Given the age of the bike and your requirements, I'd say that Bridgestone BT 023 tyres would be more than sufficient for your needs, without blowing the budget

Camarade

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2024, 06:10:39 pm »
Excellent, will check them out. Thanks!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2024, 08:40:38 pm »

Sounds like my riding - no commuting either for me, don't get out as often as I like which can mean that the tyres are old before they are worn so I opted for these last time
 these Metzler Sportec M7 RRhttps://www.metzeler.com/en-gb/catalogue/product/sportec-m7-rr
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2024, 01:35:03 am »
Look on YouTube for the Fortnine videos where he explains that pretty much any reasonably well known brand tyres will be sufficient for the majority of riders who are never going to push them to their limits.

Personally I've gone from Bridgestone 023s to the T30s and T31s and will upgrade to the T32 in the not too distant future because I don't see the attraction in using tyre technology that's over a decade old.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2024, 10:57:05 am »
When you read the blurb - they all sound the same - re grip in wet and grip in dry - cornering,  but some are more suited to touring - longer lasting maybe.

Camarade

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2024, 11:36:26 am »
Well I checked out both the reviews for the Bridgestone and Metzler and they both rate pretty well. Bridgestone a tad cheaper and Metzler slightly less longevity but otherwise not much difference.

Strongly agree with Graham about most tyres exceeding the capacity of a majority of riders. Definately so in my case anyhow 🤤.

Whichever I opt for it's almost a free hit as my insurance provider will reimburse 50€ of the purchase price as part of a safety equipment promotion ! 👍🏻 Merci beaucoup

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2024, 11:44:17 am »
Look on YouTube for the Fortnine videos where he explains that pretty much any reasonably well known brand tyres will be sufficient for the majority of riders who are never going to push them to their limits.

Personally I've gone from Bridgestone 023s to the T30s and T31s and will upgrade to the T32 in the not too distant future because I don't see the attraction in using tyre technology that's over a decade old.

There is a price premium associated with the T30/31/32 tyres Graham. A pair may cost as much as £50 or so more for claimed performance improvements that his style of riding may not justify. The 023 tyres wont be 10 years old, and unless he's thrashing the living daylights out of the bike, he'll never get anywhere near the limits of the tyres.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2024, 12:39:03 pm »
Tyres are like baby nappies - have you noticed how the new ones are dryer than the old (cheaper) ones - are they saying the old ones were crap ( forgive the pun ) same with bike tyres "our most grippyest yet out performs this or that - so you are saying your old cheaper ones were crap then  :rolleyes I went for the metzler ones precisely because they did not last as long as others. :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2024, 06:59:05 am »
Tyres are like baby nappies - have you noticed how the new ones are dryer than the old (cheaper) ones - are they saying the old ones were crap ( forgive the pun ) same with bike tyres "our most grippyest yet out performs this or that - so you are saying your old cheaper ones were crap then  :rolleyes I went for the metzler ones precisely because they did not last as long as others. :D

My last front tyre was a Michelin PR3, and i must say that it was great in ALL weathers, and served me well for a long time too. That's important for me as i ride all year round in anything the sky can chuck at me so grip is a massive priority.
I had a PR4 fitted on the rear a few years ago and a week afterwards i got caught out in what i can only describe as a blizzard and as the tyre was brand new, plus i had no history of using that particular model, i really got a bot worried. By the time i got home i looked like a snowman, with about 5 inches of snow compacted above my visor too, but the tyres held up remarkably well in very bad conditions.

A few years before i misread what i was buying (from a company abroad) online and bought a rear Michelin Power 5, but after looking at reviews it made sense to just give it a go as they were all good and i could not be arsed with the thought of sending it back, and it's been fine so no harm done.

And the latest front tyre i got, a Michelin Road 6, took ages at the time to turn up due to being on pre-order and a lack of stock everywhere, but i got a good deal on it and it wasn't urgent so i just waited patiently for it to turn up months later. I've not really had the chance to review the Road 6 tyre yet due to being off road for the last 5 months due to a bad injury, but i have zero doubts that it will be extremely good.

Neither of these tyres are what i'd call inexpensive though, but if you're patient enough and spend time online looking around then eventually a good price or even a bargain will suddenly appear from nowhere, so it's always worth having a look around if you feel you may need a tyre in say 6 months or so.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.