Date: 22-05-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Another Stutterer  (Read 11313 times)

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Another Stutterer
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2013, 10:40:53 am »
I'm thinking of buying a replacement coil to hang in whilst fault finding. I believe a cheaper and better mod is to fit NGK plug caps to the leads. Can anybody tell me which ones i need to buy for my 600 2003. Also has anybody bought an aftermarket coil. Cheers John S

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2013, 11:31:38 am »
Spent a bit more time on the bike today. Ran it for nearly five miles with no issues. Whilst it was ok tried putting the choke on to see if it made any difference. It didn't. Tried going down to 3000 revs several times and every time it picked up ok. Got to about 5 miles and she started to play up. Pulling any more than 1/4 throttle resulted in severe stuttering. Tried putting on the choke whilst the stuttering was happening, didn't make any difference. Road her home.
Replaced fuel filter and a friend lent me a set of vacuum gauges to check the carb balance. Had to adjust 3 & 4 ever so slightly. Bike was now getting hot and fan was running as expected. Blipping the throttle when the bike is hot results in a little stutter as you flick the throttle.
After the balance I thought I would remove No's 1 & 4 Diaphragms. They look and feel fine. The rubber is soft and supple and no signs of holes. I also removed the plugs and apart from being very slightly black they were fine.
After I had put everything back to together the bike had cooled down a bit. I started her up and blipped the throttle without any real sign of the stutter. Got to be heat/time related.
I'm now leaning more to an ignition or some kind of electrical fault. If it was a carb/jets/diaphragm issue then surely it would occur from the start.
What effect would a pick up sensor breaking down/overheating have?
Have a short couple of video's I took on my Iphone of the carb balance but don't know how to load them.

hi soapy......agree with you about the electrics  ;) ,those diaphrams look fine,worth checking as you can now cross off you list of "possible stuttering causes"......iam just about to replace the pick up coil on mine,should be done this weekend as it looks like iam not working now (bl**dy weather)...will let you know how it go`s.......did check mine with a multimetre a while ago now and it checked out fine,this was checked with engine off ,not sure if you can check with engine running and at stuttering speed ......will have a think about that.
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2013, 11:33:28 am »
I'm thinking of buying a replacement coil to hang in whilst fault finding. I believe a cheaper and better mod is to fit NGK plug caps to the leads. Can anybody tell me which ones i need to buy for my 600 2003. Also has anybody bought an aftermarket coil. Cheers John S

NGK SD05F, the straight ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-NGK-Resistor-Spark-Plug-Cap-SD05F-red-8238-/230778918900?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bb7ed7f4#ht_2125wt_1199
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
Sussed at last. Rode the bike today for 10 miles with no issues. Then 5th gear 3000 revs and the dreaded stuttering started again. So for a couple of miles I thrashed her and then went to 3000 revs and pulled open the throttle really bad now. Pulled over to look around the bike to look for any clues. EUREKA!!! I was bending down on the left hand side when I heard a ticking sound. Looking closer and there was mega amount of sparking from the bottom rubber on No1 spark plug cap. People must have thought I was nuts as I was dancing around my bike at the side of the road. I pulled the rubber off and inspected the bottom of the cap for cracks. None obvious but I put it back on without the rubber. Started the bike up no sparks. Rode it for 20 miles, slowing down loads of times to less than 3000 revs and opened the throttle with no stuttering. Hurray. New NGK plug caps on order. darssi thanks for the info.
Is there a difference between SD05F and SD05FM (I was given this number by a bike dealer on the phone when I asked them which ones I needed for my bike).
Thanks to everybody for there guidance and input. I've learnt a hell of a lot about my bike from you guys and really appreciate it.
I did take a short video on my phone but don't think I can upload. But did take a picture and you can just see a spark on the rubber. In real time there were sparks everywhere.

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 June 2013, 02:00:34 pm »
Just been on ebay. Seen the difference. The FM ones seem to be longer and cost a lot more. I'll think I'll go for the darrsi option.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-SPARK-PLUG-CAP-SD05FM-RED-/281084586310?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4171f26946
would these be an option.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-SPARK-PLUG-RESISTOR-COVER-CAP-XB05F-BLACK-8062-/140994873688?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20d3f30958
Just looked at the quoted length they maybe too short.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2013, 02:08:03 pm by Soapy »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 June 2013, 02:06:34 pm »
nice one soapy,must be a great feeling  :rolleyes .....love to see the video of you dancing round your bike  :lol

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 June 2013, 02:09:45 pm »
nice one soapy,must be a great feeling  :rolleyes .....love to see the video of you dancing round your bike  :lol
Thanks red. Hope you are as lucky. If wasn't for your issue coming up on a Google search I wouldn't have got here.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 June 2013, 02:12:19 pm »
a lesson for all i think......check the easy things first  ;)

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 June 2013, 02:13:13 pm »
Thanks red. Hope you are as lucky. If wasn't for your issue coming up on a Google search I wouldn't have got here.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2013, 02:21:55 pm »
Hey Soapy, really hope that's it sorted for you mate! Send me a PM if you fancy a fazer shetland meet. haha!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 June 2013, 02:22:02 pm »
Stick with the one's i said as i have them on my bike and know for sure that they'll be okay.

Glad to hear you got it sussed  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 June 2013, 02:36:43 pm »
Stick with the one's i said as i have them on my bike and know for sure that they'll be okay.

Glad to hear you got it sussed  :)
Thanks darrsi. Fleabay has just been hit for 4x Caps

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 June 2013, 02:38:30 pm »
Hey Soapy, really hope that's it sorted for you mate! Send me a PM if you fancy a fazer shetland meet. haha!

Chris
Cheers Chris
Got a wedding to go to this weekend then going South for a week. But will keep in touch.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 June 2013, 02:44:01 pm »

Chris
Cheers Chris
Got a wedding to go to this weekend then going South for a week. But will keep in touch.

Great  8)  there is a group that meets every sunday at the pier in Lerwick at 2pm and leaves at 2:30 if you'd like to go for a ride with a bigger group. I can't always make it on the sunday runs because of the shifts I work but they're a friendly bunch so go and get stuck in.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 June 2013, 04:43:35 pm »
I have a similar issue to you the bike pulls fine then hits a bad spot like the fuel of spark is been turned off from around 6 to 10,000 rpm.
light throttle no issues at all and it pulls Up to 6000 fine, from cold it's much better.
And I have a ticking noise similar to a spark arking I'll be taking the leads apart shortly !!!.
Glad you sorted it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 June 2013, 04:54:56 pm »
I have a similar issue to you the bike pulls fine then hits a bad spot like the fuel of spark is been turned off from around 6 to 10,000 rpm.
light throttle no issues at all and it pulls Up to 6000 fine, from cold it's much better.
And I have a ticking noise similar to a spark arking I'll be taking the leads apart shortly !!!.
Glad you sorted it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

easiest way of seeing if its arking......wait until it gets dark,easy to spot then  ;)

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 June 2013, 04:56:51 pm »
I'll be checking later annoying the neighbours lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 June 2013, 05:26:22 pm »
Check the rubber plugs on the vacuum take of points as they can crack and go unnoticed.
Check the wires to the pickup where it enters the alternator cover.
It is good idea is to take all connectors apart and spray with WD40 while checking for chaffed wiring.
A common place for corrosion is on the fuel pump connector and the pickup up connector.

Hi Unfazed. I checked the Vacuum plugs when I did the carb balance. They look ok. Visually checked the loom from the Pick Up Coil we're it comes out of the LH Engine Cover. Also had a look at the connectors under the LH side cover. Nothing obvious there.
The Haynes manual states if you want to replace the pick up coil as its part of the Alternator it has to be replaced as well. Need to be sure it's the problem as that will not be cheap to buy.
Unfortunately it is the same across many Yamahas I had that problem with aserow some years ago and had to replace the alternator at a cost of £275 becaus of a low insulation on the pick up coil circuit.
Was going to recommend checking the plug caps as your source of the problem but I see Darrsi got there before me. The plug caps can arc to the head and is a very distinctive sound as you noticed. The biggest issue with the caps is that it can become very intermittant and often happens for a short while after washing the bike and disappears until the bike gets dirty again due to the build up of dirt around the caps.
I changed the caps on the 400 some time ago with NGK straight ones for this reason, but the symptons were slightly different in that it slowed as if the brakes were binding.
Glad to see you got to the bottom of it.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 June 2013, 09:05:53 am »
Remember to cut 5mm or so off the end of the HT lead before fitting the new ones, gives a nice new shiny contact for the screw in the cap. 

I use the exact same caps as darssi so they're fine...much better than paying £50 a quid a pop like you would for the official Yamaha ones!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 July 2013, 04:41:26 pm »
Leads cut still no better :(

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 05 July 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
.....sell it to red98 he might be able to make a good one owt the two!! :rolleyes .......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 July 2013, 07:25:02 pm »
.....sell it to red98 he might be able to make a good one owt the two!! :rolleyes .......

you jest CRH.....i do look on ebay for "accident damaged fazers"  fairly often.....could swap parts,solve stutter,then break the spares bike on here  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 July 2013, 08:59:29 pm »
I'm determined to fix it ive never been beaten yet >:D