Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:32 am

Author Topic: Headrace Bearing change  (Read 1769 times)

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Headrace Bearing change
« on: 24 May 2014, 01:56:20 pm »
Had the bike fail it's MoT on binding brakes (I have the rubber grease so no probs there) and a notchy headrace bearing. Having never done a headrace bearing change before is it something that can be done without bearing pullers and drifts or is it best left to the garage?

Thanks bbb

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
Re: Headrace Bearing change
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 11:03:38 pm »
Simple if you are methodical.

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2014, 08:54:05 am »
Found this: http://www.garagenight.tv/ep-5-replacing-steering-head-bearings/

Other than a vice I've got everything else but the garage have offered to fit the lower bearing for £15 so looks like it will be going ahead. Ordered the all-balls taper-roller set from wemoto so looks like this weeks job.

Sannox

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2014, 12:54:18 am »
Got to change mine, bikes done 36k and the bike shop said to go for original Yamaha bearings, if they only last 37k, then no :-) Never done a headrace bearing change before but watched the vid, looks easy enough, got a manual as well.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2014, 03:25:50 am »
Doddle really mate.
Get the front end loosened off - wheel out, forks out. undo top yoke, take that off, undo threaded collars, remove bottom yoke.

Now, assuming that you're using tapered bearings to put back in:

Using a drift, slowly tap the old cup out of the bottom of the headstock, and using a socket of the right size, tap the new one in (helps if you put it in the freezer overnight to contract). Same on the top. Biggest issue realy is getting the old bearing race off the stem, and fitting the new bearings to it - I generally ust give it to a mechanic mate of mine to sort to be honest. Then once that's on, stick it all back together!

Geordi Sussex

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2014, 08:08:46 am »
There somtimes a nightmare to get out
But it's a easy job and you don't need any skills to do it

Depends on your garrage set up depends on how may people you need to help you do it
One to ballance the bike if you don't have a center stand and one to help guide the tip of the drift/crowbar
NFFN

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2014, 03:35:43 pm »
I'll be doing the races and hopefully getting the the lower race off the stem, will be taking it to a garage to get the new race drifted on as I could quite easily balls it up. Will try and post some pics when I get round to it, got to wait for the rain to stop as it is an outside 'garage'.

bbb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
Took the stem to the garage to get the lower race removed and a the replacement drifted on, managed to do the seats myself and rebuilt the brakes, passed the MoT this morning so all good. :)

Bike really feels different with new head and wheel bearings.