Date: 06-05-24  Time: 11:27 am

Author Topic: Headlight/Instrument Lights Problem  (Read 1638 times)

renegaderacer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - MZ ETZ 250 race bike
    • View Profile
Headlight/Instrument Lights Problem
« on: 17 August 2012, 06:40:22 pm »
Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with this small problem, please? I've converted my '98 Fazer to a cafe racer look with a single headlight. I'm now very pleased with the looks, handling and headlight perfomance (which is about a million times better than standard!).

My problem is now when I switch the dipped beam on, the high beam light on the instrument panel comes on at about half strength and when I switch to main beam it comes on fully.

When I first wired up the light I had the dipped and main beam wired up the wrong way around BUT the main beam light on the panel came on ONLY when the main beam was switched on. The troubles have only started since I've wired the lights correctly simply by switching the connectors around in the plug for the bulb. I checked all the earths and connections and even earthed both the earth wires from the original twin headlight wiring but to no avail. I have changed the main bulbs in the instuments to LED ones but they made no difference to the idiot lights when the headlight wiring was the wrong way around so I'd guess they're not the reason. It's obviously getting a small feed from somewhere. Perhaps I need some resistors somewhere? Any ideas greatly appreciated!  ;)

Cheers,

Giles  :)

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight/Instrument Lights Problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2012, 09:31:40 pm »
What wattage bulbs have you in the new lamp, and what wattage were the old ones?
Are you using 2 bulbs, or a single dual / filament bulb?

renegaderacer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - MZ ETZ 250 race bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2012, 12:59:33 pm »
Hi mate,

It's 60/55w like standard bulbs and I'm using a single, dual filament bulb.

Giles

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2012, 04:21:52 pm »
Sounds like it could be crossed wires? If you've got a volt meter check which wire is +12V for dip which is +12V for main and which is earth then connect accordingly.  If your unsure of the lamp connections I think looking at the connections LHS is main BOTTOM is dip and RHS is earth.
Good Luck
Andy

renegaderacer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - MZ ETZ 250 race bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2012, 07:22:04 pm »
Quick update. It's all sorted now! Turns out I couldn't have got the wires more wrong. The earth was in the wrong place and the two lives were the wrong way around! This made them both come on when it was set to dipped, with the main on about half power (hence the faded main beam ight on the instruments) and the main beam came on full when switched on. D'oh!  :groan

Thanks for the help.  ;)

Cheers,

Giles  :D